ACN Latitudes Forums

HELP

lurker

I know most of you are in a different time zone and it's late, but if anyone can address this I'd appreciate it.

My son's tic disorder has been slowly waning in the 5 months since its onset (two days after the DTaP). It's so mild now that I am the only one who knows. He has been saying he has a sore neck for several days, and was only too happy to tell me it was because his sister choked him :blink: .

Anyway, he was on my lap today and turned his head. I saw a bulge in his neck. He has swollen lymph nodes on both sides of his neck (approx 2 to 3 inches below his earlobes). One side is slightly bigger than the other.

I know it is some kind of immune activity, but any ideas?

Thanks,

Tami

Tami,

Swollen Lymph nodes are a common problem when a celiac is exposed to gluten (or any other allergen/toxin). I hear many talk about that on the forums I visit. It is an immunological response, like you said. If you think this may be due to something he recently ate, do a little investigating.

I go to a special dietary shop that is owned by a woman suffering from celiac disease and she claims that there are some 'gluten free' products that are not produced in a dedicated gluten-free facility and thus can cause reactions in very sensitive people. Just something to think about. For instance, Lundberg rice is okay, but their rice noodles have caused reactions in a handful of her customers. The noodles are produced in a separate facility on shared equipment. Tigger threw up after eating peanut butter at my parent's house last weekend. Two hours later he was running around my yard, completely fine. Apparently the peanut butter had traces of gluten in it from the last time my dad made a sandwich.

He may have recently been exposed to something viral that is going around too. Vitamin E and zinc are both good for swollen lymph nodes. BTW, I get them all the time now when I get 'glutened'. It is a sure fire way for me to know.

On the bright side, the gluten free diet is working. He's better! That is quite a relief!-- as time passes you may find that he will become less hypersensitive. I keep getting reassured by other celiacs that the gluten sensitivity will not be so pronounced after the body is given ample time to heal. His antibody levels are probably still very high. They will fluctuate. I am still waiting for that myself with Tigger.

Caryn