ACN Latitudes Forums

Hypnotherapy

I wrote a couple of weeks ago my DD started a vocal tic. She would repeat "tuh" about 4-7 times a minute EVERY minute all the time whilke at home. SHe was able to supress it at school and with friends.

I took her to a hypnotherapist last friday. THe therapist worked on relaxation. Can you believe she was tic free on Friday night, had just a few tics on Saturday, none on sunday or yesterday or this morning. This has helped her so much I can't believe it. She will have therapy sessions for next few weeks.

SO I do think her tics were brought on by stress. I hope they don't return to where they were, but I am prepared just in case.

I also put DD on a multi vitamin and an added magnesium/calcium supplement and have been giving her epsom salt baths. All which I read about here and seem to have helped her stress level.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone else has tried this hypnotherapy. Honestly I wasn't much of a believer. I just thought if she was stressed, it would help. I really didn't think the tics would go away. I'm still prepared they may come back. But for now, I'm doing a happy dance...

Thanks for all your valueable info,

Heather M.

Hi Heather,

Could you give a little info on what the therapist does during the session? Is it like hypnotizing? Do you have to keep going in for more visits? How did you come about deciding to try this type of thing?

Thanks

Faith

I live in Los Angeles so there are many to choose from. I called a few and discussed DDs problem. I found one I wanted to try out. She said she would work on relaxation and just see if she was able to be in an hypnotic state. Therapist used guided imagery. DD was very tired afterwards but very relaxed. It's now Wednesday morninng and the verbal tick is gone. *however* she's doing a strange face thing in the evening, now where she crinkles her nose and opens her mouth as if to yawn. A tic, I'm sure, but much better on the family than th everbal tic that was driving us nuts.

I'll discuss this latest tic with her therapist on Friday.

Heather, Thanks for the info. The guided imagery sounds interesting. Is there an organization or something that does accreditation, I wonder? Emma
I know she is licensed hypnotherapist, I don't know how accreditation happens though.

As I read everyone's experiences here, I see lots of diet changes, antibiotics, and vitamins and other natural remedies, but no behavioral therapies or hypnosis habit reversals. My DD reacted so well to teh hypnotherapy I wonder why it's not seen here more? Especially for kids who just started ticing. This worked so well with my DD I want to shout it from the rooftops.

From my short experience with this, the more stress a family puts itself though the worse tics seem to be.

Heather,

Great idea, Heather. You are right. I haven't seen it discussed either. I have only discussed our diet changes and supplementation, but when my son's tic disorder started, I implemented a new behavior plan in my household for both of my kids. I have always wondered to what extent it has complemented his recovery. I had read somewhere that all children with anxiety issues -- and I consider tics to be anxiety induced -- benefit from quick, predictable discipline. It is less stressful for them. I accidentally stumbled upon a book in the library which I based my plan on. When I say "accidentally stumbled," I think there was some divine intervention involved. This book was in the wrong wing of the library when I found it, and I wasn't looking for a behavior plan.

I am excited about your success with this therapy. I think my son may be too young for hypnotherapy; he just turned five. Having said that, I think that there are applicable behavior strategies for kids of all ages, and they are definitely natural treatments.

Why don't you start a BEHAVIOR THERAPY thread. I would be happy to discuss this in more detail there.

Tami

• 2 years later...
I wrote a couple of weeks ago my DD started a vocal tic. She would repeat "tuh" about 4-7 times a minute EVERY minute all the time whilke at home. SHe was able to supress it at school and with friends.

I took her to a hypnotherapist last friday. THe therapist worked on relaxation. Can you believe she was tic free on Friday night, had just a few tics on Saturday, none on sunday or yesterday or this morning. This has helped her so much I can't believe it. She will have therapy sessions for next few weeks.

SO I do think her tics were brought on by stress. I hope they don't return to where they were, but I am prepared just in case.

I also put DD on a multi vitamin and an added magnesium/calcium supplement and have been giving her epsom salt baths. All which I read about here and seem to have helped her stress level.

Anyway, I don't know if anyone else has tried this hypnotherapy. Honestly I wasn't much of a believer. I just thought if she was stressed, it would help. I really didn't think the tics would go away. I'm still prepared they may come back. But for now, I'm doing a happy dance...

Heather M.

Hi Heather,

I was thinking I might try the hypnotheraphy with my DS8, he was having similar tics like your daughter, and they might be related also to stress.

How is your daughter doing? Did she recover 100%

Hope she is doing fine.

Thanks!

hi Deby

just wanted to let you know the date of this thread is from 2008 and Heather hasnt posted here since so you may not get a reply

Hi Cheri,

I've noticed that, but sometimes other people reply!

What is your experience with hypnotherapy?

Since regular therapy doesn't seems to work for us, a friend of mine pointed me to that.

Just curiosity...

Thanks,

Deby

no experience with hypnotherapy here Deby and I wouldnt expect it to help for TS tics as they are *involuntary* and *neurological* so not something that I feel could be altered by hypno

I can see where it may benefit the underlying stress tho

I am a bit confused as I thought your child was found to be PANDAS? and so it is unlikely again that you can hypnotize someone with an infection triggered symptom and make the symptom go away.....

however, again, if it is more the anxiety issues etc that you are looking to treat, perhaps that could help. But I personally think it unlikely that a PANDAS child can be helped very much by being hypnotized JMHO

Heather M.

Congradulations on DD's relief. I am 23 years old and have tried hypnotherapy and did not experience any extended relief. The only relief I experienced was relaxation while being in hypnotherapy obviously because they basically put you to sleep. Once I would leave therapy I would feel relaxed, but once that sleepy relaxation feeling would wear off, I would go back to normal with my tourettes.

-Lets cope

no experience with hypnotherapy here Deby and I wouldnt expect it to help for TS tics as they are *involuntary* and *neurological* so not something that I feel could be altered by hypno

I can see where it may benefit the underlying stress tho

I am a bit confused as I thought your child was found to be PANDAS? and so it is unlikely again that you can hypnotize someone with an infection triggered symptom and make the symptom go away.....

however, again, if it is more the anxiety issues etc that you are looking to treat, perhaps that could help. But I personally think it unlikely that a PANDAS child can be helped very much by being hypnotized JMHO

Hi Cheri,

The abs are not working, and yes, he had very high titers, I had high titers, and my husband and my other son had a positive strep.

But at this point, after 15 days of high dose abs, he shouldn't have any infection in his body, and his tics are not better.

Pandas is controversial, some people believe and some not.

I don't know what to believe.

I don't know if I should continue giving him more abs or not.

Deby

Hi deby

as many on the PANDAS forum can attest...it is sometimes necessary to use a different antibiotic.

You had posted that he was improving on one, and then it was changed to another and the improvement stopped.

to me that would sound like the 2nd antibiotic is not the one he should be on!

it is absolutely a very wise thing to also be looking at other potential triggers for his tics.

but treating an underlying infection correctly is also important, IF there is proof that the infection exists.

deby,

just my two cents, if abs don't seem to be working, you could try a little longer, but I am starting to believe that yeast becomes a problem on top of things, so working on the yeast part of it might be a good idea. at least give high dose probiotics in order to not let the bad yeast take over when the good yeast is also killed by the abx. PANDAS or not, I am believing that abx are not the only answer.