ACN Latitudes Forums

magnesium question

Nan

Hi all,

I am giving my daughter Natural calm. Do I have to give her any other supplements so that they don't become deficient in the presence of magnesium ? I am not sure if my question is clear; I am trying to figure out what other supplements I have to give while I am giving magnesium to balance stuff out. She is not on any multi vitamin formula.

Thanks,

Nan

Nan,

That's complicated. I know that according to numerous sources, the RDA for magnesium is too low and we are all probably deficient. I know that magnesium and calcium compete with each other. The present RDA is a 2:1 ratio for calcium to magnesium, but you need to look at her calcium intake -- cheese, yogurt, milk, . . .

I know that b6 and zinc are somehow related to magnesium absorption or utilization after reading Bonnie Grimaldi's hypothesis 17 times. (She is brilliant. I wish she would drop in from time to time.)

I think maybe a b-complex is in order as well. Hopefully somebody more informed (KIM) or experienced (KIM) or well researched (KIM) will be able to answer you.

KIM!!!!!!

Thank you for chiming in, Tami. I will keep b complex and zinc in mind.

Thanks,

Nan

Nan,

That's complicated. I know that according to numerous sources, the RDA for magnesium is too low and we are all probably deficient. I know that magnesium and calcium compete with each other. The present RDA is a 2:1 ratio for calcium to magnesium, but you need to look at her calcium intake -- cheese, yogurt, milk, . . .

I know that b6 and zinc are somehow related to magnesium absorption or utilization after reading Bonnie Grimaldi's hypothesis 17 times. (She is brilliant. I wish she would drop in from time to time.)

I think maybe a b-complex is in order as well. Hopefully somebody more informed (KIM) or experienced (KIM) or well researched (KIM) will be able to answer you.

KIM!!!!!!

The B vitamins are all excellent for neurological support. B6 has been shown to particularly assist with tics. A good multi is not a bad idea if you are giving elevated levels of B6 separately. Too much b6 over the long haul may cause heightened phenol sensitivities. We personally saw this and then I did a bit of research and discovered the connection. Zinc is very important for pyroluria. (And not present in Bonnie's vits). You need a proper blood test to determine if pyroluria exists (I wrote about it on my blog: http://healthy-family.org/caryn/63).

We had a pyroluria dx (mild) that has since corrected itself with a gluten and corn free low sugar and veggie rich diet. (I'm hiding the stuff in all my food! LOL, from meatballs to pancakes).

Good diet is better than vits. But initially, at least in our case, the vits were essential to help manage the tics. We did Bonnie's vits with great success. When we got the pyroluria dx we switched to a compounded vit with the zinc included. Too much zinc is toxic to the body so be sure you have advice from a nutritionist/naturopath/Dan Doc, especially with a younger child. Pyroluria requires more than the RDA in zinc for success (and saturation of tissues).

Caryn

Caryn,

Thank you for your detailed message. Any recommendations for a good brand of b complex and zinc that a 6.5 year old can take ? I looked at some zinc supplements and it had some other things like Vitamin c (the unbuffered form) , magnesium stearate or something like that. Please let me know if you like a particular brand.

Thanks,

Nan

The B vitamins are all excellent for neurological support. B6 has been shown to particularly assist with tics. A good multi is not a bad idea if you are giving elevated levels of B6 separately. Too much b6 over the long haul may cause heightened phenol sensitivities. We personally saw this and then I did a bit of research and discovered the connection. Zinc is very important for pyroluria. (And not present in Bonnie's vits). You need a proper blood test to determine if pyroluria exists (I wrote about it on my blog: http://healthy-family.org/caryn/63).

We had a pyroluria dx (mild) that has since corrected itself with a gluten and corn free low sugar and veggie rich diet. (I'm hiding the stuff in all my food! LOL, from meatballs to pancakes).

Good diet is better than vits. But initially, at least in our case, the vits were essential to help manage the tics. We did Bonnie's vits with great success. When we got the pyroluria dx we switched to a compounded vit with the zinc included. Too much zinc is toxic to the body so be sure you have advice from a nutritionist/naturopath/Dan Doc, especially with a younger child. Pyroluria requires more than the RDA in zinc for success (and saturation of tissues).

Caryn

We use ChildLife with our two younger boys. This is a liquid vit that does not taste bad. (Toddler will take it directly off of the dropper and not diluted). It is listed as corn and gluten free but does contain citric acid and fructose (two known possible corn derivatives).

www.childlife.net

With Tigger we use pharmax brand vits. They have a Multivitamin & Mineral (Child Formula) With DHA - 120 Capsules

My dh and I also use pharmax (adult version without copper and iron). We are all doing gluten free now and that was suggested to us by our doc.

http://www.amazon.com/Pharmax-Multivitamin...0296&sr=1-4

The vits come in capsules and my son age 5 can swallow them whole like a champ and chase them with a glass of water.

Caryn