ACN Latitudes Forums

Reading triggers eye blinking tic

Betty04

My 3 year old has a eye blinking tic that is triggered in the car and watching TV. Last week reading books began to trigger the tics. Any suggestions? I know to avoid triggers and we have cut out TV, wear sunglasses in the car, but I hate the idea of not reading books? Any helpful experiences would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Betty,

My son used to tic during reading. Lots of kids tic at bedtime -- so I've heard. I think it is because they are physically and emotionally exhausted. My point is this, if you are talking about bedtime reading, I think the real trigger may be exhaustion. What time of day are you reading?

I hate the idea of not reading too. I ended up taking a two-week hiatus, where I told stories with props (stuffed animals/action figures). He never ticced during that.

WARNING: He does not tic during reading anymore, BUT now he insists on getting what he calls a "mouth story" every night too.

Tami

Betty,

My son used to tic during reading. Lots of kids tic at bedtime -- so I've heard. I think it is because they are physically and emotionally exhausted. My point is this, if you are talking about bedtime reading, I think the real trigger may be exhaustion. What time of day are you reading?

I hate the idea of not reading too. I ended up taking a two-week hiatus, where I told stories with props (stuffed animals/action figures). He never ticced during that.

WARNING: He does not tic during reading anymore, BUT now he insists on getting what he calls a "mouth story" every night too.

Tami

Thanks Tami for your suggestion. I am so desperate to not have him tic (he is currently in a period of increasing frequency and severity, without any trigger I can identify) that I am willing to do the "mouth story." I typically read at nap and bedtime so exhaustion I am sure plays some role, but I have noticed it when reading at other times. Thanks again for your thoughts!

I have seen a lot of preschoolers during storytime at my son's school. I see them twisting their hair, cuddling their jackets, even thumbsucking. I think that reading triggers their sleepytime rituals too. I would still bet it is an exhaustion/bedtime thing that has become a Pavlovian

response.

Tami

My son is almost 7, so he is a lot older. Reading is his BIGGEST tic trigger. He knows he is having trouble learning to read....and is in three reading interventions at school. He will tic when I read to him, when he reads, AND even when he is trying to recall a story that he is telling. (HMMMM..is there a certain part of the brain associated with this?? :( )

I thought it was the stress of knowing that he could not read. I know at night it is exhaustion and being able to relax in bed. Sometimes I wonder how he reads at school b/c he tics SO MUCH while reading!!!

I know my son started it at bedtime reading, but he did carry it over to other reading including storytime in preschool. Now I'm really curious. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that listening to a story really requires complete physical inactivity and our wiggly kids have more trouble settling into stillness.

Any other restless listeners?