ACN Latitudes Forums

Antibitiocs stopped and Tics came the day after

myrose

As most of you know, my daughters tics were gone while she was on her antibiotic. (For step throat)They came back the day after she stopped taking them.

Was this just a coincidence?

Can someone with some Pandas experience help here?

When they stop the antibiotics...how long before the tics start back up...or do they???

jasminky,

if you can find an infectious disease doctor in your area, they should know about PANDAS and be able to do more titers testing. You should try to get another course of antibiotics and see what happens. Any reason you can't call or see this doc again and explain how the tics disappeared while on the antibiotics and get them to give you another try. Maybe they will know of someone to refer you to.

Faith

jasminky,

if you can find an infectious disease doctor in your area, they should know about PANDAS and be able to do more titers testing. You should try to get another course of antibiotics and see what happens. Any reason you can't call or see this doc again and explain how the tics disappeared while on the antibiotics and get them to give you another try. Maybe they will know of someone to refer you to.

Faith

She had a reaction to the first antibitic which was amoxicillin. They then switched her to a 3 day course of azithromax.

She spit out the first dosage and then again on the second! I ended up putting it in applesause but had to call in for more to replace the two doses she spit out.

Instead of just calling me in 2 doses, they just refilled the whole prescription. So i do have another 3 day supply.

Should I try it??

This whole medicine thing is scary to me sometimes. I never feel right giving her anything ....

Can you also comment on the kid calm?

Thanks so much! I truly appreciate your reply

Jasminky,

My son's titers were negative too. I have not tried antibiotics yet. Please excuse my question, it may be ignorant, but could there be a bacterial infection that responds to antibiotic and rebounds after discontinuation that is not strep? I'm just trying to explore possibilities here. Have you tried probiotics yet? Maybe it is a gut bacteria.

By the way, we have the same pattern of worry. My son is doing well now, so I am a mess, waiting for the shoe to drop.

Tami

Welcome to my world! My daughter's symptoms stop/reduce drastically while on antibiotics, and come back (almost) immediately when she goes off. She had high titres a few months ago, but we haven't checked them recently. She is on long-term low dose antibiotics. I do not know if that is the best option, but it is a quality of life issue for me. On the antibiotics, it's all good. Off -- well, not good!

Jas,

wait a few more days to see how she does tic wise. If you feel the tic is getting worse, then yes, try the next course of azith if you have it. But if the tic is mild, then I would wait and save it for if things get out of hand.

Now the point of the antibiotics is to see the pattern, for then you will have to get in with a doctor who will be able to diagnose that this could be PANDAS related and prescribe long term antibiotics.

Just a reminder, my child is not PANDAS but I did see an infectious disease doc to check titers because we did have an episode last year where a tic he had disappeared while on amoxycilin, but titers were normal.

I have used a product similar to kids calm called Super Mag. For some reason, I like it better than kids calm (which I did try, but went back to Super Mag). I know alot of parents here use it and feel it has benefited their child.

Tami, is your son not having any tics now, or just mild? Do you attribute it to anything you have implemented?

Faith

Faith,

It's mild right now, to the point where no one would notice but me. The overall pattern seems to be winding down. Tics are lighter, more subtle, less frequent. When he has a tic, it is more of an isolated event instead of a bout of tics. Also, he got a new one just the other day. Based on previous experience, I would have expected to see much more of it and expect it to last for weeks (at least). It was mild, infrequent, and lasted a day.

I would like to think that it is due to something I have implemented. I've made so many healthy changes in his/our lifestyle, but it may just be that it has been six months since that #%#@ vaccine. It is likely that his system is just calming down.

He has been on an anti-inflammatory diet for a while now, and a lot of foods are eliminated, so it could also be that he has not come into contact with something he's allergic to.

Tami

Jasminky,

In regards to starting the 2nd round of azith, I wanted you to keep in mind that it's an antibiotic with a long 1/2 life. It stores in the tissue and is released for a longer period of time than some other anitbiotis. I think the first dose is double that of the 2nd and 3rd dose? I guess i'm not clear on how many dose she actually took at this point. If she took an adequate amt. the effects should last beyond the day of the last dose. If you understand this, it may help you to determine if the antibiotic is helping reduce the tics or not. Here are some links to artlcles. If you have a specific question, we have a few people here with more knowledge than I have about this, that may reply.

This 1/2 life business, is something I hope parents who are using drugs to treat tic disorders are aware of. I really feel that when drugs are added, Dr.s don't take the combos into consideration nearly enough, i.e. they tell you to discontinue one drug and start another before the last one if really out of the system. Now you have two drugs at work, and it can get ugly. I think I have mentioned that I have a friend (young man) who I have become very fond of on another forum. He has taken every drug in the book for his TS which is mostly vocal with a few inconsistant motor tics. Just thought I would throw that in, since it is a grave concern of mine.

Wanted to mention too, if you decided to start a magnesium suppplement, give away from azith.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azithromycin

Following a single 500 mg dose, plasma concentrations of azithromycin declined in a polyphasic pattern with a mean apparent plasma clearance of 630 mL/min and a terminal elimination half-life of 68 hours. The prolonged terminal half-life is thought to be due to extensive uptake and subsequent release of drug from tissues.

Biliary excretion of azithromycin, predominantly unchanged, is a major route of elimination. Over the course of a week, approximately 6% of the administered dose appears as unchanged drug in urine.

http://www.medicinenet.com/azithromycin/article.htm

DRUG INTERACTIONS: Unlike erythromycin and clarithromycin, azithromycin is generally considered free of interactions with most other medicines. It is recommended that azithromycin not be taken at the same time as aluminum- or magnesium- based antacids, such as Mylanta or Maalox because antacids will bind the azithromycin and prevent it from being absorbed from the intestine.

http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.pharmaceuti.../ZITHROMAX.html

Pharmacokinetics: Adults: Plasma concentrations of azithromycin decline in a polyphasic pattern, resulting in an average terminal half-life of 68 hours. The prolonged half-life is likely due to extensive uptake and subsequent release of drug from tissues. Over the dose range of 250 to 1 000 mg orally, the serum concentrations are related to dose. The long tissue half-life and large volume of distribution result from intracytoplasmic uptake and storage in lysosomal phospholipid complexes.

article on 1/2 life

http://bipolar.about.com/od/glossary/g/gl_medhalflife.htm

My daughters tics and OCD used to go away while on antibiotics, but would return within 1-3 days after finishing the course. This continued for about eight months, at which time, she had her tonsils and adenoids removed. The ENT said that the reason her symptoms would return after finishing the antibiotic was because her tonsils were so cryptic (full of many holes) that the course of antibiotics would work well enough to kill the strep, but b/c of all the holes in hert tonsils the antibiotic would never completely erradicate the strep and it would recolonize, causing the symptoms to return. Once her tonsils and adenoids were out, she was strep free and symptom free for 1 1/2 years, at which time she began to get strep again. I am not suggesting that anyone have their child's tonsils removed, but in my daughter's case she had so many cases of strep and her tonsils and adenoids were large enough that it was causing some obstruction at night, especially whenever she was sick. Looking back, she began snoring at night at a very early age (before 2) and most likely always had large tonsils. My son has his removed when he was 5 b/c he had sleep apne they were so large. My third child has been snoring a lot the past year and has started to have a few seconds of apnea, only when he is sick and I guess his tonsils are a little enlarged. The ENT has seen a lot of kids with PANDAS and has seen this pattern of the tics/OCD coming back time and time again when the child is not on antibiotics.