ACN Latitudes Forums

Child Calm as a ritalin alternative?

Guest juliera

Hello. New here. I recently read about this product (Child Calm) in Prevention Magazine - it's an all natural spray to help calm children down and use as a ritalin alternative. Has anyone heard/used Child Calm before? I'm very interested in ordering it. How well does Child Calm work?? I found they have a website too (www. childcalm.com).

• 1 month later...

Funny to see this! Just last week someone told me they had tried this Child Calm, made from lavendar and another oil, with a disabled and very hyper nephew. She claimed it helped him get to sleep better. It comes in a spray bottle and she said she sprayed it in the room and on his pillow. She's only used for a short while, so my question would be whether it's just the novelty of it that the child is reacting to. I think he's about 8. I doubt it could be a real alternative to Ritalin in the long run since I can't see how it could work all day for months on end, but maybe it does something to help take the edge off. And for a parent every bit helps. I don't know much about aromatherapy and will be interested to see if this product takes off. JK

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to see some references on this. I see they have some testimonials on their site. But like JK says, it could be the change of pace, extra attention, etc.

I'm not sure I would want my whole room and clothers smelling of this stuff! This will be interesting to watch. it seems on the site like they got some good media coverage. Newbie

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jed Shlackman

Essential oils in sprays and other forms are used for a variety of purposes. Lavendar has long been used for calming, relaxation, and nervous system balancing, and should be safe unless your child has an allergy to it. It may not address some factors relating to ADHD symptoms, but at least its pretty non-risky and for most people makes a pleasant fragrance. You might want to see if the price is reasonable, as essential oils are available from many sources and come in varying qualities. Smell is a powerful sense, and thus using a scent to elicit a nervous system reaction is a sensible idea that has been shown to be effective and is obviously safer than medications that act in a forceful manner bringing likelihood of confusion to the nervous system. This calming spray seems like something useful to supplement other approaches and probably wouldn't fully resolve many intense cases of ADHD symptom patterns.

-Jed Shlackman, LMHC, C.Ht.

• 2 months later...
Guest Joye J Dunlop @ AOL.COM

Where can you purchase this Child Calm Mist spray by Joe Culotta? My grandson, age 11, has been diagnosed and is being treated for ADHD and I would like to try this. Thanks for any help to JoyeJDunlop@AOL.COM (reference: Spray)

Guest Guest

Hi

At what age was your grandson diagnosed as ADHD? Is he on any medication?

Have you tried fish oil - I have heard , it helps ADHD symptoms.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

my son has adhd and aspergeres syndrome and he also takes fish oils, optimim oils and multi vitamins with high B vits and magnesium. i researched this at great length and also took him for an intolerence test that confirmed my suspiscions that he is allergic to all milk but also found that he was allergic to aspartamine (sweetners) and mildly to wheat. This is the absolute easiest way of explaining the supplements without having to do all the research! There is a definite 100% improvement but remember the fish oils take about 2 months to get in the system. I also changed the vegetable oil to olive oil and took out most junk food. we did go extreme at first to organic etc and there was a difference but not so much as the hecticness of the diet itself! I haaave to say, the sweetners was an eye opener in itself. Personally, I would reccommend all kids with or suspected adhd to have the allergy/intolerence test before accepting any meds as you may find the adhd symptoms may be triggered by something not adhd at all! however, like i say my son does have adhd (no doubt about that lol!) and is still on Concerta, purely cos i can't find a consultant to help try and wean him off, so if anyone recommends anyone it would be greatly appreciated. Sally (North wales - but prepared to travel if necessary!!)