ACN Latitudes Forums

Where to start with enzymes/probiotics?

Tracey111

I am trying to research where to start with enzymes. Can anyone give me some basics? What types do you look for with tics? Does long term use cause digestive problems when not used? Etc.

I googled digestive enzymes and children. I seemed to get that they can not harm a child....but this is a pretty major part of the body to mess with!!

Thanks for any assistance you can give me on the research!!!!

Tracey,

Here is a website that has a lot of useful information regarding enzymes http://www.enzymestuff.com/ . I have been using Dr. Houston's products for my son and so far, other then the increase in tics at first from the toxins dieing off in him, have seen him improving. Here is the website for them http://www.houstonni.com/ . You can e-mail them with your questions and they will get back with you. The did with me very quickly.

My naturopathic doctor told me there is absolutely no reason not to be on enzymes. She said that they would greatly benefit my son. She did tell me to expect a reaction for the first few weeks because of the process of the enzymes killing off the yucky stuff in the intestional system. This is why you want to go slow at first introduction.

The probiotics is really important and I have been using a product called Mindlinx for my son. You order on the internet and they ship it to you with cold packs to keep the probiotic in good condition (at least that's how I have received it from the companies I ordered it from.) It comes in capsules and powder. It really seems to be a great probiotic.

Carolyn N.

Tracey,

Just a quick overview, we use Houston enzymes too. If my oldest son is eating something like spaghetti, garlic toast and broccoli, I'll give him one capsule of zyme prime, 1/2 Peptazide. How you use the enzymes really depends on what problems, or foods that you suspect your son is having a problem with. We have found zyme prime to be the easiest to use, meaning it doesn't cause any discomfort, or bathroom urgency. I would recommend that you start with that one in small amts (maybe 1/8 of the capsule) first meal, another 1/8 the 2nd meal and leave it at that for the first day. If all is well, you might increase to 1/4 capsule for one meal the next day and leave it at 1/8 for the other two. Then move up to 1/2 a capsule the 3rd day with a full meal. Keep upping slowly, until you get to 1/2 capsule for all 3 meals. You can decide after reading the sites that Carolyn linked, how much you think your son needs per meal. Just work up slowly on all 3, if you think you need all of them. That's how I did it, anyway.

Here are a few notes from the Houston site, to help you identify which product might help your son the most. The company is really good about mailing sample packs, so you can try them without commiting to another expense. I got sample packs of all 3 enzymes for both sons with no charge.

zyme prime enhancing the breakdown of complex carbohydrates, triglyceride fats, starches, and proteins. While not as potent in protein hydrolysis as Peptizyde, HN-Zyme and Zyme Prime excel at carbohydrate hydrolysis.

Peptazyde

The enzymes in Peptizyde™ work only on food proteins, not carbohydrates, fats, or other compounds,

No fenol ....for Phenolic Foods

Its on the site somewhere about No fenol being helpful in assisting an anti yeast protocol too

>>It has been suggested that MSG sensitivity can be fought through use of digestive enzymes.

However, use of digestive enzymes has not appeared to be helpful. In fact, some people with little tolerance for MSG have reacted adversely to enzymes after taking them for a period of time. Many, if not all digestive enzymes are produced from vegetable sources, making it possible that small amounts of processed free glutamic acid (MSG) remain as contaminants in the enzymes.

Found this on www.truthinlabeling.org. Just wanted to know everyone's thoughts that enzymes may have some MSG in them. I hope not as I was thinking of using them. Maybe someone who knows a lot about enzymes can weigh in. Thanks.

Thanks. I had looked at both of these sites before, but I must have been tired. I learned a lot more tonight. Thanks for giving my your dosage amounts. I emailed the Houston people.

I also found an acupuncture /"natural wellness" doctor in my area. :D I have not made an appointment yet, but I am excited at the possibility of having some professional guidance. My husband freaked out this AM when my son had a niacin reaction! :wacko: He never questions the pills I give him, but this AM he gave him the supplements and then the reaction happened. "I need to be careful with this stuff" he says.....so professional input would be nice.

Thanks for all the help!!!!!