ACN Latitudes Forums

Homeopathy for Tourette's?

Guest Rebecca

Where can I get more detailed information about homeopathic treatment for TS? I've seen it mentioned several times, but nothing about specific remedies. For the record, my 6 yo. son saw a neurologist 2 years ago for blinking and vocal tics. They eventually went away without treatment, but about a month ago, he started displaying occasional hand tremors, and a week ago, added head shaking (nodding) and mouth grimaces to the list. We have another neuro appointment in a couple weeks, but I'd like to see what I can find in the meantime as far as homeopathic treatment. I'm also planning on revising his diet and eliminating as many possible allergens as I can (artificial ingredients, etc.).

Also, how do I get his mineral levels tested? Is this something the neuro would recommend, or an allergist? Is it done in a regular lab, or elsewhere?

Thanks.

Hi Rebecca,

Usually the conventional docs dont suggest the mineral tests but you could ask about it or request it done.......I believe the Great Smokies Lab to be the best.

You can also email Bonnie Grimaldi about this at BonnieGr@aol.com She really is up on the best tests and the best places.

We tried homeopathy for our son, but still find the supplementation and dietary/environmental care to be most effective. Homeopathy is excellent in many conditions, i am just not personally convinced, from our experience, that it is the best treatment for TS, especially when it is TS+OCD/ADDetc.

But that is not to say that it may not work wonders for some....just didnt for my son.

We have also found accupuncture and biofeedback very helpful in the past when the tics were severe.

Cheri

Rebecca, I recently spoke with a leading homeopath who said she has often treated TS. She said that the results run the spectrum, from amazing quick resolution, to needing ongoing treatment for years. One thing all the homeopaths suggest is that you need to see a training professional for chronic problems, whereas you can more successfully treat acute issues yourself from products at the health food store. It's interesting that we did a survey once that implied many people had found homeopathy helpful for tics, but we rarely get individual reports on it.

For the mineral blood test, some doctors we work with recommend www.doctorsdata.com; (800.323.2784) in Chicago area but there are other locations as well, and experts have different favorites. (You don't have to live near the lab, of course.)

If you want the names of homeopaths who would possibly do phone evaluations and treatment, you can email me:sheila@latitudes.org Best wishes, Sheila

Guest Jennifer

Dear Rebecca,

We have an 8 year old son who was diagnosed with a tic disorder when he was 6 years old. His tics have ranged from motor to vocal. We originally went to a naturepath, but have since found a reputatable homeopath. We are doing several homeopathic treatments along with flax seed oil, ionic minerals other vitamins as well as adressing the detoxification issue of the body. The past 3 weeks is the first time in two years that he is completely tic free. He has had times of big improvements, but their was always some little tic. Homeopathy and natural medicine take time. We've been working with our son for a year now. My suggestion is to find one that has a good reputation. It's not the whole picture, but certainly an important piece of the healing puzzle well worth looking into.

Jennifer

Jennifer,

We have been using a homeopathic treatment, set up for us by our environmental doctor, to treat my 11 year old son. He had both vocal and motor tics also, since about age 7, but now after many months of this treatment, I see no more tics! We have also been giving him supplements (Bonnie's), but a smaller amount of these than suggested for his weight. He also stays away from any artificial food coloring, as dyes seemed to make him tic badly. For my son, a major key to the puzzle was getting tests through our environmental doctor. We found he had several parasites in his gut. Through several "microbial organic acid tests", we found that he kept scoring very high for metabolic markers for an anaerobic bacterial infection of clostridia and also for a yeast/fungal infection. From what I understand, these parasites can create chemicals which can affect the brain and the nervous system. Nothing we did seemed to reduce these markers for the infections (or the tics) until we tried the homeopathic treatments. Now, I have watched his tics slowly go away at the same time that the metabolic markers for these infections have slowly been reduced. He also looks much healthier than he has in many years. The name of the company that makes these homeopathic remedies is Pleomorphic. I agree with Jennifer, that the homeopathy takes time. My son is now in the middle of his 3rd 2-month course of the treatment with homeopathy, but we've been working on these issues for 2 1/2 years (using supplements, checking for allergies and sensitivities, getting rid of other parasites...) Though at first I felt very skeptical about the homeopathy, I really feel it's helped him tremendously!

Phyl.....

the one thing that truly did help us from my son's homeopathic eval WAS the parisitic and viral detections, including Candida(yeast)

As I am not keen on antibiotics it was so great to get the homeopathic treatments for these, and my son definitely benefited in general health as well as in tic and OCD reduction.

The products recommended for him were FuturePlex AntiTox, distributed by Apex Energetics in Santa Ana, Calif........good stuff!

Chemar,

That's great! Was the homeopathic eval for your son that detected parasites based on a lab report? I really feel that because we can keep repeating the same lab test to see how the metabolic markers from the infections go down we can see how well the homeopathic remedy is working. We also have evidence by the reduction in tics.

Last March I wrote to Dr. McCandless here on this forum about getting rid of Clostridia and yeast infections. She recommended yet a different homeopathic remedy: Aqua-Flora, along with grapeseed extract. But our doctor hadn't heard of that and wanted us to use the Pleomorphic products, Pleo Forte, Pleo Alb and Pleo Pef. It's good to know that there are a number of alternatives out there.

(BTW Chemar, I write on the MGH Braintalk tourettes forum as P & A, so I frequently see you there).

Hi Phyl.....I have always benefittd from your P&A postings on Brain Talk so very good to see you here too :)

Our evals were initially two-fold....both lab tests as well as a method known as Radiogenics...somewhat controversial in this country tho covered by med.insurance in the UK i believe.

It was quite uncanny as to how we would get the status of the parasites and viruses from the radiogenic eval, and then the lab reports would come in and confirm......eventually we relied on just the radiogenics and then had final lab results to confirm the all-clear.

The team that do the radiogenics also did accupuncture, reflexology and biofeedback, along with the homepathic remedies, and introduction of the careful dietary and environmental changes, plus guided us on the supplemental needs.

The entire appraoch was very beneficial, but it wasnt till we followed Bonnie's supp guidelines fully that we saw the incredible tic reduction that he now has.

My son declares tho that NOTHING brings him greater tic relief and overall well-being than the period immediately following accupuncture.(seems to last a good 3-5 days!)

• 12 years later...

Hello, everyone.

I am brand new to this forum, and although our 12 y.o. son doesn't yet have a Tourette's diagnosis, I am convinced based on his symptoms (HFA diagnosis, mild motor tic, emotional control issues, exec. function issues, motor planning issues, depression, anxiety) that he does.

We have done many alternative treatments to help our son in kind of a haphazard way and have used classical homeopathy a fair amount. We are on GFCFDF diet, mostly Paleo. We treated for mold illness and had to rebuild our house. Our son also showed up with severe pyroluria when we had his nutrient levels testing a la Bill Walsh's Nutrient Power. We are treating the Pyroluria symptoms with vitamins, which has been **extremely** helpful in resolving his bouts of depression and suicidal ideation (especially if he transgresses with gluten, dairy or dyes) and in helping him maintain a healthier self esteem. This method also treats ADHD symptoms.

I am now pursuing the cause of the Pyroluria. I believe it is a liver function problem and may be either a disease state or genetic, or both. We have treated for parasites in the past, but I do not know whether or not that treatment was adequate, or if we have another problem with parasites now. I am very interested in the radiogenic evaluation you did and would like to know more about how to find a practitioner. We are in the San Francisco Bay Area.