ACN Latitudes Forums

Grapefruit seed extract

kallik

I'm thinking about giving my son grapefruit seed extract. It's supposed to be a natural antibiotic. Of course there's conflicting reports. One says it's good for everything from strep throat to helping lose weight, and one source says nothings "been proven." I definitely want to try it for myself, just made a mistake getting the liquid, because it's so bitter, even diluted. It's supposed to be good for Candida which I believe I probably have myself. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if it contains "salicylates," I hope I spelled that right, that makes some of our kids tic more? Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm thinking Bonnie's vitamins have grapefruit seed extract in them. My memory may be faulty. Anyway, anyone had any positive results from this, either with their child or themselves? Thanks.

Kallik,

Bonnie's contain Grape seed extract, not Grapefruit seed extract.

I don't really know much about either, but regarding salacylates, I am pretty sure that salacylates occur near the outer surface of fruits and vegetables. They are mostly concentrated in skins and leaves and stems. This is nature's way of protecting them. I would assume, and I am only assuming, that the seed, being the innermost part of the plant, would not be loaded with salacylate.

As long as it isn't known to cause harm, I wouldn't worry about "been proven." Remember, sugar has not "been proven" to make kids hyper.

Tami

Hi Kallik

yes, as Tami has pointed out, there is a big difference between GRAPE SEED extract, which is in Bonnie's supplements, and Grapefruit seed extract, as the two do different things and although the citrus grapefruit and its extracts can be very beneficial yet it also has to be used with caution in certain conditions and also because of dangerous interactions with certain medicines. It is known as a very potent natural anti-microbial

my son had Grape seed extract with pycnogenol initially as part of his supplement plan until we learned that he also had Crohn's Disease, which is autoimmune. We were then cautioned about it being a potent immune booster, which one wants to avoid in autoimmunity. here is some more on Grape Seed Extract