Jump to content
ACN Latitudes Forums

finding advocates

Guest socorro

Recommended Posts

we are coming up to our annual iep date at school, for tourette syndrome and OCD. the more I read, the less pleased I am with what the school is offering. does anyone know what the best way is to find an advocate? do people volunteer to do this, or do I need to hire someone?? an attorney or layperson? any help will be appreciated. Socorro

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Socorro. It depends where you live. Some school districts have a parent support department and will assign someone, sometimes a staff member and sometimes a volunteer, to sit in on your IEP meeting and offer suggestions and support. It always makes the team sit up and pay attention! Otherwise, if it is a serious problem, it can be worth it to locate an advocate and pay for the service. I would ask for recommendations at parent support groups. (Teachers may not be inclined to give any names out!) I hope it works out nicely for you. Sheila

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...