ACN Latitudes Forums

son doing well

bmom

I am one that posts often with questions, yet I just wanted to make a different type post today. Today marks a year since my son broke out into many tics. I scoured over the internet and some how fell into this website. I spent many sleepless nights reading old posts. I was thankful and hung on to the success stories of the parents that figured out the answer to their childrens ticcing. There were many parents who just would quit posting and I often would think "what happened to their children?". I made a promise to myself and to God that if he would allow me to find the answer I would post that I had found success. Well I haven't quite figured out what my sons issues are, yet I am leaning to PANDAS. I just wanted all the newcomers to know that it does get better when you are in that dark time and your children can get better. I think the only reason I haven't done more testing, etc. with my son is because he is doing so well and I don't want to rock the boat. He is on Bonnie's vitamins and has some food restrictions- mainly reduced dairy, sugar, and organic when possible. All I could think when he was ticcing so much is what is this year going to be like? And he ticced pretty badly for 2-3 months then the rest of the year has been fine. A few single tics here and there, but nothing else major. I still constantly worry and I am working on that, yet I would so much rather me worrying than him ticcing. I just wanted to let you all know that it can get better and you can find success.

I am one that posts often with questions, yet I just wanted to make a different type post today. Today marks a year since my son broke out into many tics. I scoured over the internet and some how fell into this website. I spent many sleepless nights reading old posts. I was thankful and hung on to the success stories of the parents that figured out the answer to their childrens ticcing. There were many parents who just would quit posting and I often would think "what happened to their children?". I made a promise to myself and to God that if he would allow me to find the answer I would post that I had found success. Well I haven't quite figured out what my sons issues are, yet I am leaning to PANDAS. I just wanted all the newcomers to know that it does get better when you are in that dark time and your children can get better. I think the only reason I haven't done more testing, etc. with my son is because he is doing so well and I don't want to rock the boat. He is on Bonnie's vitamins and has some food restrictions- mainly reduced dairy, sugar, and organic when possible. All I could think when he was ticcing so much is what is this year going to be like? And he ticced pretty badly for 2-3 months then the rest of the year has been fine. A few single tics here and there, but nothing else major. I still constantly worry and I am working on that, yet I would so much rather me worrying than him ticcing. I just wanted to let you all know that it can get better and you can find success.

Hello,

I received Bonnies supplements over two weeks ago and have not started them. My daughter right now is also going through a GREAT period of tic free in which like you...I am scared to rock the boat. I am just waiting it seems for them to come back. I keep watching. Today I thought I have spent so much time watching and waiting that I forget about what is really important and that is spending time with her. I guess its so easy to get caught up in all this. All you want to do is make everything okay for them.

Anyhow I wish your son continued success and have just a few questions if you would not mind answering...

If my daughters tics come back I am going for testing of allergens and then on to Dr. Murphy. In the meantime I will start Bonnies supplements.... How old is your son and how did his system first take to the vitamins? Was it easy going or a ruff start with the supplements. Also do you give him a multivitamin on top of Bonnies supplements or just Bonnies supplements?

Thank you so much and I will pray here just in a few minutes after I sign off for both of our children and everyone else's on here as well.

Thanks for posting, Bmom!

I am new to this forum but am finding so much information here that is helpful.

I am spending a lot of my time reading a lot of old posts and trying to figure out the best answers to help my son. Right now we're in a mild tic phase. The last time he was tic free was for the first 2 weeks of January, since then he's been mildly ticcing(mostly eye blinking and hard blinking). But, I am hopeful that we will get to the bottom of this! I lean on God daily and I spend a lot of time allowing my son to be a child, while I do the adult thing called worrying! ^_^ Thanks again for posting!

Thanks for posting, Bmom!

I am new to this forum but am finding so much information here that is helpful.

I am spending a lot of my time reading a lot of old posts and trying to figure out the best answers to help my son. Right now we're in a mild tic phase. The last time he was tic free was for the first 2 weeks of January, since then he's been mildly ticcing(mostly eye blinking and hard blinking). But, I am hopeful that we will get to the bottom of this! I lean on God daily and I spend a lot of time allowing my son to be a child, while I do the adult thing called worrying! ^_^ Thanks again for posting!

I LOVE SUCCESS STORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It gives us hope in our hours of research!

Maybe it is just spring coming on for the rest of us ^_^ . My son's tics have been horrible, and now for the last week and a half it is eye blinking (sometimes hard) and one eye blinking. I have read two other mom's emails this week about the "just" eye blinking/winking!!! Maybe the sun is shining again and they are seeing it before we do!!!! ^_^ (Don't I wish!!!)

^_^

Well I hate to rain on the parade, but.... (and I'm just venting) things are turning for the worse over here. Really I don't know what I'm going to do. My son has started showing subtle neck turning and tonight its getting worse. The advice I need is not about WHAT to do, for I think I should know that by now. The problem is him, he just doesn't get it. For him, I am pretty convinced it is his food sensitivities that are the real trigger for him, or at least one of the big ones. I can't get him to fully comply, everyday there's something. There's been ALOT of infractions lately, I know this, but I practically have to wrestle them out of his hands. Today it was dunkin munchkins that his sleepover pal brought over and this afternoon he called me on my cell to tell me "I know you're gonna get mad, but I had....SKITTLES." I took him aside tonight and read him the riot act, telling him we were gonna have a talk about all this tomorrow and he better start listening to me about his "allergies". I never wanted to call to much attention to the connection between the food and his tics, but I think its time to let him know that these are going to get worse if he doesn't start listening. Now for this week, I'm getting rid of anything he shouldn't have that's in this house, and with them being off school this week, its not going to be easy to keep him away from the fun things that are going on, but now I'm so mad tonight.....more at myself for not being strong enough to keep him content on this path. I give in too much, but I just don't want this to be a fight about food. I struggle because he is so skinny too. Well, sorry, I'm just at my wits end--all this research, and trial and error, and knowing what I should be doing, how do I give you all advice when I can't even successfully implement this myself.

^_^

Faith

P.S. bmom and tracey, so glad things are getting better, keep sharing...

Hang in there Faith. How old is your son.? Although my daughter (12) has had tics off and on for the last 8 years, I am just starting to investigate the causes. I always accepted that they would just go away. That's what we're told right? This last bout is really bothering her. It involves her shoulders and stomach. Almost an all body spasm. We're doing our detective work and recording the really bad days and what she eats. I told her that we don't know if it is the food, but it might be. She hates the tics so much that when we suspect a trigger, she's happy to stay away from it. We will know more Friday when we go to the Dr. for results of blood work. I'm so mad at myself for not being more informed when it came to the vaccines. I can't do anything about that now, but I do believe they are connected.

Bcase

Hi bmom

so glad to read your update and praying that it continues this way

blessings

Cheri

Oh Faith,

I am so sorry to hear that. I know how hard it is. I have done the same thing with my daughter, calling it "allergies" or explaining that "your body just doesn't do very well on artificial stuff" because I didn't want to draw attention to the tics. Luckily, she mostly complies and most of the time prefers her healthy stuff to other kids' junk. She does say, "There is a LITTLE junky stuff I like." My problem is more that other people around me (dad, grandparents) don't quite get it. They won't read labels, etc. They'll give her junky chocolates as a treat for Valentine's Day, and I read the label and there's vanillin in them. I just don't see why they couldn't get her a basket of fresh cherries or some organic chocolate or something like that. It is such an uphill battle. Last night my we were at a birthday gathering and my mom served chocolate cake from a mix, and I gave in and said K could have one cupcake (with coloured sprinkles to add insult to injury!!). Sure enough, she started her sniffing tic on the way home. Mildly, but noticeable. Seems better this morning. I think K can tolerate a small amount of the artificials, but when it builds up over a number of days, hoo-boy! Those tics come back! I have now seen it a number of times.

I wish this world was not a world filled with junk. I wish all the parents and companies around us would realize that these children are our future and we should be feeding those little bodies with high-quality real food. I wish there wasn't peer pressure everywhere and a culture of treats = junk food. Why CAN'T treat = cherries or mango or blueberries or lasagne made from scratch?

I hope your son gets on board with you. If he is ticcing right now, why not make a deal with him... he complies ABSOLUTELY for two weeks and then you see where you're at. If tics have reduced significantly, then maybe he will have the motivation to continue. You could also promise him a toy if he gets through the two weeks.

Take care,

Calicat

Hi bmom,

I'm really happy for you, I hope it will stay good for you all. Thanks so much for sharing.

Faith,

I'm sorry your little guy is having some waxing going on. I'll tell you if I didn't have my husband reminding me every so often, "He is going to be fine." I would still worry more then I needed to. When he starts to wax I think it is not going to get better, but it always does wane. I hope this does not last too long. ^_^

bcase,

My son had so little tics before the age of 12 we didn't even know he was ticcing. At 12 his body was so out of control he couldn't even sit on the bed without bouncing around. He never had vocal tics before 12 just a kissing noise he would make, but that did not happen that much. I do think the shots is what made the vocals explode. He may have gotten worse with puberty, but I just don't believe he would have started screaming. His body really calmed down about a month into the good diet, and has never been bad since. Does she have some teeth coming in, or out? I do see an increase in tics with my son with his teeth.

C.P.

Thanks CP,

My daughter has lost two teeth in the last two months. Another one loose, and some coming in. In eight years this is her 6th tic, and it is the worst one yet. Plus being older, she is more aware of it, and self conscious about it. She is having a lot of anxiety right now too. When you say a good diet, do you mean eliminating all artificial coloring, flavors, and preservatives?

Bcase

I just felt I had to respond to this topic. We are coming up to 2 years and our son just turned 9 last week. I really go on an emotional roller coaster with him. It is a good thing my wife is a bit of an equalizer for me, I seem to be obsessed with his tics. He has been good for the most part, very little ticcing when he does. Lately he started off with a series that went from one eye blinking, slight head nodding to sticking his tongue out. This morning I did not really see anything.

I feel so helpless most of the time, when a kid has a scrape, we put a bandage on it, when they have a cold or fever, we give them a pill to take care of it, but when they tic.....well I think if your like me you get depressed and frustrated first.

Even though we have tried to give him the propper food and supplements our son still seems to wax. I have changed my prayer to ask that I be able to handle his tics along with asking for the right answers on how to help him. He usually doesn't even know he is doing them, and he is a very happy bright boy and when I think of it, his tics just make me want to hug him more.

There is a text in the Bible I claim, can't remember what book, but it goes like this:

"Don't worry about anything, pray about everything".

Hi bcase,

Yes, that is what I mean. I believe the only thing he has eaten that would be questionable, would be the bread at Subway. And the veggies they're not organic. He doesn't eat any meat there. Everything else he eats I make for him.

When my son was 12 I did start a growth chart for him, and did notice he would wax during the months he was growing at a faster rate then in the past. I'm not sure if girls have that same skyrocketing growth that boys seem to go through, but I did feel it helped me to understand why it seemed like nothing was working for him for awhile. I think he needed to get over that hump in growth so we could see some improvement.

I'm sorry she feels bad about it, that must make it even more stressful for you as a parent. My son didn't seem to think he was different at all. Even when he was screaming.

God Bless,

C.P.

Even though we have tried to give him the propper food and supplements our son still seems to wax. I have changed my prayer to ask that I be able to handle his tics along with asking for the right answers on how to help him. He usually doesn't even know he is doing them, and he is a very happy bright boy and when I think of it, his tics just make me want to hug him more.

There is a text in the Bible I claim, can't remember what book, but it goes like this:

"Don't worry about anything, pray about everything".

^_^ here it is

Philipians 4:6

I pray too for you to find that place of acceptance of what you cannot control and strength and wisdom to change that which you can, lmcgill

Waxing and waning with TS is something I have had to learn the hard way to accept as not always having a trigger that I can identify. I do know tho that it is never as bad now as before we started all the dietary modifications, supplements, acupuncture etc and so we persevere with those as they really do help. We see the dramatic increase in the frequency and intensity of the waxing phases when we are not diligent on these, and so it has become a way of life for my son, and one that he now willingly manages himself at 18yo....he sure knows the difference!