ACN Latitudes Forums

xylitol

kallik

Hi,

Xylitol is a natural sugar and is very helpful in controling bacterial growth. It has shown effective in helping reduce/prevent the incidence of ear infections, etc. I was buying Xylitol gum (Trident ) for my kids and encouraging them to chew it, only to realize it seemed to increase certain behaviors, reactions in my younger son. Now, I then realized this gum had aspartame and artificial colors/flavors in it, as well as spearmint, which is high in salicylates. (which my younger son is sensitive too, I believe) So, I really don't blame the Xylitol for this reaction, I have heard only good things about it. I didn't notice anything with my older son when he chewed it, but I put the "kabash" on the gum anyway for him too just because of the artificial junk in it and I didn't want to take any chances. If I can find a gum that has Xylitol in it without the other stuff, I would not hesitate to give it to my kids. I do know there are natural Xylitol products out there, I just need to go find them.

Kelly

I'm very curious about xylitol too. I was first introduced to xylitol through a DAN rescue angel that I was communicating with. She said she used xylitol in desserts, and it helped to kill strep throat. She said it was very powerful for her family.

I've read that it acts like flouride and can kill various bacteria.

Anyone else have experience with this??

Q's Mom

PS- It has been a while since we have posted. My son continues to do really well. He has a few very, very minor tics here and there but he is overall soooooo much better.

If I can find a gum that has Xylitol in it without the other stuff, I would not hesitate to give it to my kids. I do know there are natural Xylitol products out there, I just need to go find them.

Hi, there is B Fresh Gum that is Vegan and Gluten Free, that is sweetened with xylitol. I get it at Erma's, a health food store in Texas. It's expensive though, $2.79 for ten pieces! Also there's a website, an online store I went to during Christmas and got my son all natural gum. I'll try to remember its name.

I just found Xylichew. It was $2.15 retail at my local healthfood store. Their website, Tundra Trading, claims the xylitol is 100% birch derived. So corn is not an issue. My little guy had not had gum in so long he was smiling so much he couldn't chew for a full minute.

For anyone battling PANDAS, Xylitol is excellent. Xylitol nasal spray can fight strep hiding in the nasal cavity. It has also been reported to help with leaky guts, as strep is famous for hiding there! My little guy takes 1 tsp of Xylitol per day, and he too LOVES his Xylichew!

Sunshine