ACN Latitudes Forums

How many here have had increased tics with fish Omegas?

ilovedogs

I started ds on coromega this week and noticed a new tic the day after. He started hard blinking which I've never seen before. He was also doing his regular eye winking on one eye. Could this just be coincidence? Should I switch to a flax seed based omega for a while? It's so hard to tell if what you're doing is helping or not b/c of the waxing and waning issue with the tics!

yes, nordic naturals is the one our naturo and DAN doc had recommended. I don't use it because I too thought it increased the tics. Next best is flaxseed oil, (don't use that either tho, as flax was one of my son's food intolerances on Igg testing).

Faith

If you have the orange-flavored Coromega packets like the ones wasting my cupboard space because I won't give them to my kid, it has sodium benzoate (I honestly have no clue about it, but sounds a little scary) and Vanillin, which I am fairly certain is a byproduct of the paper milling industry that is a very inexpensive vanilla substitute. I would give fish oil another try in a pure form.

Tami

Yep,

I forgot about that since I threw my coromega out. Sodium Benzoate has been proved to make all kids hyper in a recent study.

I summarized it way back when:

http://healthy-family.org/caryn/231

Also, FWIW all cough syrups commercially bought including at health food stores have sodium benzoate in them as far as I could find. For my son it is like giving him speed. I stay far away from it.

Caryn

sodium benzoate has also been implicated in the increasing inflammatory bowel diseases so prevalent in young people, plus a whole host of other bad stuff

vanillin is nasty too

honest, I feel deep concern for the health of the younger generations who are being filled with these poisons daily. and yet we have friends who think we are nuts about all this because they feel "if the FDA permits it, it must be safe" ^_^

Chemar, when I was in college I did an internship for a company named Rhone Poulenc Pharmaceuticals. They made vanillin. The interns got to take a tour of the plant and it was then that I realized that some of our food was NOT really food at all. I couldn't believe that vanillin was made in a pharmaceutical factory and was being chemically processed! To this day I watch for vanillin in everything and try not to buy it. That's why I was surprised when I saw it in the Coromega.

I did switch to Nordic Naturals yesterday but I'm thinking of taking him off the fish oil omegas anyway. After reading back through my food journal for him, I noticed a new tic the day after I started the fish oil omegas. Not sure if it's coincidence yet, though.

just wanted to add again that my son cannot tolerate any fishoil supplements and we have tried him on many

he can eat fish with no problem, but fishoil makes him immediately increase tics

He gets his omega 3 mainly from flaxseed oil (supplements and as a food,) plus freshly ground flaxseeds with salad dressings, on cereals etc

Hi

I buy most everything at www.iherb.com as they are by far the most cost effective source I have found

anything that they dont have I get from my local Vitamin Shoppe (also online at www.vitaminshoppe.com )

we use a lot of the NOW brand products as well as Jarrow