ACN Latitudes Forums

BOTOX

JennyC

• 1 year later...

My son is 8 and started violent neck tic when he was 7. Drugs did not work. We opted for Botox in his neck. Miracle. The tics were gone for 5 months. Then the neck movement started again, so we got him more Botox. In about a week, tics were gone. It is possible to get Botox every 3 months if needed.

Such a wonderful relief.

Here's a great link with more information on safe use of Botox for children with movement disorders:

http://wuphysicians.wustl.edu/news.aspx?ID=736

Best wishes to all parents going through stressful times with tics.

----

I saw before someone asking about Botox to treat tics. Here is an article on yahoo today about children dying from it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080208/ap_on_...t/botox_warning

My son is 8 and started violent neck tic when he was 7. Drugs did not work. We opted for Botox in his neck. Miracle. The tics were gone for 5 months. Then the neck movement started again, so we got him more Botox. In about a week, tics were gone. It is possible to get Botox every 3 months if needed.

Such a wonderful relief.

Fascinating to meet someone (online) who has used Botox as a tic treatment.

I have two questions for you:

1. Did he ever experience the "unscratchable itch" phenomenon, where he had the desire/sensation to tic but was unable to because of the botox?

2. Did it affect his "normal" head movement? Like did he lose control of that muscle, or did it just somehow alleviate only the tics (if you say it alleviated only the tics I'm going to have more follow-up questions... just FYI :D )