ACN Latitudes Forums

504 plan

Guest Dave D

Guest Dave D
:lol: Hey! I'm the first one on this section. I don't really have a comment on treatments. We have taken our boy off RItalin and are so glad we did. But we are having trouble with his teacher not giving him a 504 plan. Anyone else had this problem??

Hi David~

I'm an elementary school teacher and am familiar with 504 plans. If your child has been diagnosed with a disability, (this includes ADHD) he has a right to be considered for a 504 plan. If you've already discussed the idea with the teacher without a favorable response, I would suggest talking to the guidance counselor or ESE coordinator at the school. Insist upon a meeting..you are your child's best advocate! :lol:

David, I would agree with smilemona. As a school psychologist for many years, I saw that 504 plans were rarely initiated by school staff. Usually it was the parent who requested it rather than the school offering it.

For readers who aren't familiar with them, 504 plans allow for special accomodations in the classroom. For a child with an attention problem these could range from sitting near the teacher to having more time on tests. A set of options is usually available at the school. But a team, of which the parents should be part, usually decides on whether a 504 is warranted, and then what the accomodations should be.

If you really think your child should have one and you aren't getting results, you should try to locate a parent advocate in your area to help you or ask to speak with your school psychologist.

In addition to th other answers you may want to go to either a legal advice web site or the Department Of Education and read about student and parent rights as well as the laws. Another piece of advice is be as involved as possiable in school activities such as PTA, helping teachers with parties or whatever they need. My son's needs are being met now more as I have created friends and relationships with faculty than when I hired attorneys and advocates. Your best tool I have found at a meeting is an independent evaluation.

The process of initiating the "The Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Section 504(P.L.93-112) protecting the federal civil rights of persons with disabilities, is by written permission from parent for the school to assess by testing and identifying the needs of a child/student.

It can be initiated by a parent, teacher or other. Once tested, the Individual Educational Plan (IEP) is the tool to implement any accommodations needed for the individual student. The parent must approved any decisions made at any IEP meetings.

Read carefully the forms, and check the box that says they will need to reschedule if a parent is unable to attend that session.

Who is present at an IEP meeting?

Parent, School administrator, psychologist, RSP teacher (special education), the students general teacher and the student if he/she wishes, it is recommended to have students learn about their rights as they go thru school.

When a student with an IEP is nearing graduation, there is a transition plan, that can be implemented while they are in high school to enable the student transition to colleges. It is intented to implement support programs after high school. If you are having a transition plan, make sure the adult service providers are at the ITP?IEP meetings.

http://wlcdr.everybody.org/announce/2001-04-16/7.mason

Learning Disabilities by Janeen Steel herself learning disabled has workshops to educate parents about the rights of our children through the Western Law Center for Disability Rights, in Los Angeles, California.

There are numerous free pamphelts by the individual states to help parents, educators and professionals become aware of the rights of students. However, many times the teachers are not even aware that a student is under the 504 plan, therefore in the written accommadation, have it included that all the teachers a student has are aware of his needs. This too must be without undue attention or singleing out the student as that too can be a violation of his rights.

As an advocate for disabled rights and learning disabilities, awareness and education is the key. More information and resources provided at Artists with Brain Injuries site under "Advocacy and Resources Page"

Artists with Brain Inuries: http://tbihome.org/members/pearl/home_1.html

Pearl

ARTISTS with BRAIN INJURIESLearning Disabilities Western Law Center for Disability Rights

Guest Guest_Pearl

RE: 504 Plan

For your conveniece I am providing direct links found at my website,

"Artists with Brain Injuries" pertaining to Special Education. Each page provides numerous links shared with me by other Advocates on behalf of Disability Rights and Implentation of the Federal and State rulings.

Advocates for Disabled Rights /Learning Disabilities Part 1 of 4

http://tbihome.org/members/pearl/Advocates...dvocSumyPg.html

Part 2 0f 4

http://tbihome.org/members/pearl/LearningD...sabilities.html

Part 3 0f 4

http://tbihome.org/members/pearl/LearningDis2.html

Part 4 of 4

http://tbihome.org/members/pearl/LearningDis3.html

Pearl

ARTISTS with BRAIN INJURIES

Guest Guest_pearl

It is a pleasure to find individuals that care and that do not succumb to the non responive reaction to school administrators. It is amazing how many laws exists, yet the enforcement and implementation fo them is far from a reality.

As a Self-Advocate with 3 gifted children with learning disabilities and also gifted in the arts, my oldest, brain injured by a car accident as a back seat passenger without a seat belt at the age of 27 and now 32, the impact of her permanent disabilities were intense to her sibblings.

Also as of July this year, my only son 14 yrs old, also faced major spine surgery with the possibility of being paralized from the waist down. We were blessed and spared that trauma yet he is not the same due to limitations of activities and also the fact that it will take a year to heal, on, top of dealing with the learning disability issues of which for 8 years, I have fought to have the schools systems help him. Just now as a freshman in high school, for the first time his learning disability of audio/visual and motor skills are those issues being addressed.

Not being able to write well at all, but had comprehension levels in the 3rd grade that were of a college level student, the only thing they kept him doing and teaching him in his RSP classes was to have him learn how to write, yet his motor skills were part of his learning disabilities.

No accommodations were ever made to emphasis on his gifts with an IQ of 125. He was viewed as a "trouble kid, easily distracted, and could not sit still in his seat and look directly to his teacher and listen." So much for the medical documentation of audio and visual disabilties and motor skills.

Just his year upon the new laws, that if the students do not meet the high school equivalency tests, he cannot graduate and no accommodations will be given. So thus my advocacy as a mother for years, I embarked in self advocacy. I have used the services of some advocates, but they were not attuned to the sensitivities as they were interns just serving their time, not as what a mother or other family member would reply to the needs of their loved ones. Not all advocates are alike, just like any other profession.

My advocacy is as a self motivated individual that encourages others to never accept no for an answer.

I have had to deal with the superintendents office and their staff to get what should be a norm, per federal and state laws.

Point is, we all must self advocate as the systems lack understanding and enforcement due to cutbacks but that does not stop the school districts from getting grants or funds from the federal and state agencies as they submitt their applications using our children that may be learning disabled or in special needs to justify why they should be given funds.

Once the funds received if parents do not insist for services those very funds can be allocated by the Principal for other non special education expenses. Just become part of the elementary schools parent/administrators, core group of decision makers and you will know exactly where the funds go as to title one and other funds, as I myself have been there to hear it and to see it.

United and concerned parents, educators and caring individuals can make a difference, thus the need to self advocate and seek forums as this one and many others to educate and bring awarenss and to hear the stories of so many that like myself seem to be lone advocates for our children, yet once the motivation begins, it is amazing the wonderul individuals that cross our paths.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Pearl

Artists with Brain Injuries

http://tbihome.org/members/pearl/home_1.html

Advocate for Disabled Rights, Learning Disabilities and Artists with Brain Injuries

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest_LivesInaShoe

Write an official letter requesting this 504 plan, include some type of letter from your childs doctor stating the diagnosis and recommendation for the 504 plan. Keep a copy, send the original to your school districts Superintendent, remember to thank them in advance for responding to your official request within 10 days. Include your childs name, school, grade, teacher, ect.

This is exactly what I did and it worked like a charm. :(

• 1 year later...
Guest Cindy

I just cant believe all the problems I have been through with my son's high school. My 15 year old son has ADD and we paid a private doctor to have him tested to prove to the school that he needed accommodations. My husband and I met with the vice principal and all agreed on the needs and the VP was supposed to tell the teachers. Well not one of them has followed through with anything. And now the VP is just pretending like we never had the meeting. I asked him to recap in writing exactly what we agreed upon and give it to the teachers and he said if the teachers need more info they will contact him! My son is failing a couple of classes and I am furious again. I guess I should just go to the district. What do you all suggest? I have thought of having a lawyer draw up something. This is my son's future and I cant stand that he is not getting the help he needs.

Cindy

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Does anyone know how long a 504 plan is valid? My son was evaluated 1.5 years ago with the 504 recommendation. We may need to implement it now but am afraid it might be expired. Any idea?

Lulu

My son has been diagnosed with ADHD as well as a processing deficit by a psychologist. He was also evaluated by the school and found to have an IQ above 120 but an achievement score of just 92 - slightly below average. The school contends that because 92 falls within the "acceptable" range he does not qualify as having a learning disability. Thus he does not receive ANY services at school. He is on Ritalin (which i hate) so he does not cause any problems in the classroom. I am thinking of taking him off. My big question is: Can they really deny my son help because his IQ is too high? He should be doing fabulously but because of his processing issues he is predicted to fall below average. I don't think this would be acceptable to my son's teacher of principle if it was their child.

If anyone has any information please share.

Thanks to all