ACN Latitudes Forums

weaning off of sertraline

emy

My son has been on sertraline (25mg.) since August 08. Just about one week ago it was increased to 50mg. I suspect that it may be aggravating his tics, and in case, we are not seeing any improvements. I really want to try natural alternatives. What would be the best way to wean him off of this medication? What has been your experience. My son is 15.

thanks,

emy

emy,

yikes, I want to respond to this only because I take that myself. I don't know if it will be the same for your child but I can tell you that I have been taking it for four years (50 mg.) and it was prescribed for me when I moved into a new house and had the worst anxiety and buyers remorse, I was a mess. When I felt better, the doctor told me to just stop taking it. (The doc was my ob/gyn and sorry but don't think he is well informed because he said it is not a taper off drug, and from what I've read, he is incorrect). I did it his way, and it was a terrible experience. About 10 days later I had the worst relapse, I was crying all the time, I felt terrible. I went back on it and things simmered down and ever since then I have been scared to try to go off again due to that experience. Never want to feel like that again. And with the ups and downs I've had due to our experience with our son's tics, well, I always feel there is something to be depressed about. The best I've been able to do is the last four months I have taken the 50 mg. every other day instead of every day. Next step would be to cut in half and still take every other day.

So if it has had any effect for the better on his anxiety, I would try to wean off as slowly as possible, even if it takes a few months. You could look up on the net on how to wean off off setraline, I did find some sites like that. Maybe cut in half for a month, then another 1/2 for another month. I can say that doing the every other day has been okay so far, and I feel the same. I'm just scared to take the next step.

Good Luck

Faith

Hi emy and welcome

weaning off this category of drugs has to be done very very slowly and preferably under doctor's supervision.

I am surprised that your son's dose was doubled that way! rather than increased gradually too.

generally titration down from a drug is done in tiny increments. when my son was being withdrawn from similar drugs, it was at 1/3 down every 5 days until we were on only 1/3 of the original dose for 5 days and then ended. Our doctor was in touch daily to check on effects and reactions. Even with this care in withdrawal my son suffered awful reactions so I do urge you to do this with great care and do be prepared for withdrawal reactions so that you wont be unduly alarmed by them. It is a hard thing to watch your child go thru, but, from our experience, it was worth it to get our son back eventually

There is a good book on this called "Your DRUG may be your Problem!" by Dr Peter Breggin

he cautions that sertraline( in zoloft family of drugs) should be withdrawn with extreme care ESPECIALLY in children as it can cause severe "crashing" with serious effects if not done very carefully

If your doctor isnt willing to help you do the withdrawal then try to find one who will as I really recommend medical supervision during withdrawal from "brain" drugs...especially for a child

Cheri

Hi Cheri,

Hi long was your son on this medication? What were some of the reactions that he suffered? Does your son also have ts?

Hi emy and welcome

weaning off this category of drugs has to be done very very slowly and preferably under doctor's supervision.

I am surprised that your son's dose was doubled that way! rather than increased gradually too.

generally titration down from a drug is done in tiny increments. when my son was being withdrawn from similar drugs, it was at 1/3 down every 5 days until we were on only 1/3 of the original dose for 5 days and then ended. Our doctor was in touch daily to check on effects and reactions. Even with this care in withdrawal my son suffered awful reactions so I do urge you to do this with great care and do be prepared for withdrawal reactions so that you wont be unduly alarmed by them. It is a hard thing to watch your child go thru, but, from our experience, it was worth it to get our son back eventually

There is a good book on this called "Your DRUG may be your Problem!" by Dr Peter Breggin

he cautions that sertraline( in zoloft family of drugs) should be withdrawn with extreme care ESPECIALLY in children as it can cause severe "crashing" with serious effects if not done very carefully

If your doctor isnt willing to help you do the withdrawal then try to find one who will as I really recommend medical supervision during withdrawal from "brain" drugs...especially for a child

Cheri

hi emy

my son was on meds for a year and yes, he has genetically inherited Tourette Syndrome with associated OCD, anxiety, depression and more

he was never on sertraline, but was on Luvox, which is also an SSRI. Other meds he was on over that year were haldol, naltraxone and zyprexa.......makes me shudder just to list them :(

none of them made things any better for him...instead they seemed to intensify his symptoms and also caused psychosis, something he had never suffered before going on the meds. The list of side effects he had is long and included some of the things that the manufacturers (and doctors) call "rare"...since our experience, I have spoken with enough others who tried the same or similar drugs for me to know that the "rare" is in fact very common ^_^

That book by Dr Breggin sure opened my eyes wide to these drugs and especially their dangers to kids (and it was recommended to me by a respected physician who helped us withdraw the meds)