ACN Latitudes Forums

vaccinations

annag

Hello, all,

As I posted before, my then 11 year daughter began ticing this summer and is doing much better now. She is now 12 and in a couple of months we go for an annual exam and she needs to get 2 shots - tetanus and meningitus. I have read so much about pros and cons of vaccinatins but since she has been vaccinated up to now, I am really afraid to make a decision not to vaccinate any longer. SO my question is- do these 2 shots (tetanus and meningitus) have as an adverse effect as all others? Any advice, should we may be spread the 2 shots to 2 different visits and if yes, then how much time should pass in between?

Thank you all, finding this forum has kept us sane.

Anna

annag,

Could you look up your state to see what is required verses what is mandatory. I do not believe the meningitus vaccine is mandatory at a young age. I know a few high school students who said they had to get it before starting college.

This give you the chance to turn down some you don't what her to have. My son and oldest daughter were given the meningitus I wish I knew then, what I know now. I'll be really hot if they are told they need it again because it wore off or something. I'll have to homeschool them at Basement U :)

C.P.

C.P.

Thank you for your suggestion. we live in NJ and I contacted the state health department just now. Apparently, since my child is already in 6th grade she does not need to get meningitis shot at 12. However, all kids entering 6th grage in 9/08 will be required. So, we missed it and I will simply decline when we go to the pediatrician.

Thank you!

Anna

annaq,

I believe they are going to try to get you to get the newer Tdap vaccine. If they are on a schedule anywhere near my boys, it will be the 6th dose of any combination of DTP, Dtap etc (I'm rusty, it's been awhile since I've got into all of this in depth). This newer vaccine is being given because they are now saying that Pertussis is rampant in the US. You can go to the CDC website to get the actural #'s. Your daughter may not even be 10 years away from her last tetanus shot, which USED to be the recommendation for tetanus booster. They are using this visit to "catch" adolescense to get them on track with this new vaccine, which CAN supposedly be given every 5 years (chi ching!). In years past, your daughter would probably have gotten a TD booster, if it has been 10 years. THAT SHOT to this day, still contains 25 mcgs of thimerosal. So, while the newer vaccine is thimerosal (mercury free) do you believe your daughter needs another pertussis vaccine?

Many feel that the pertussis vaccine has never been that effective, although, it may have resulted in milder symptoms. I am also convinced that many cases of pertussis (used to be referred to as the 100 day cought) has been misdiagnosed as asthma. You see, once the Dr.s are convinced that a vaccine is the end all...they don't even look for that disease in patients (in many/most cases). The big selling point on this vax though, is that it may protect some infants who have not recieved their full pertussis series yet....hummmm. Notice the print under a wonderful AD for Adacel

Adacel

http://www.vaccineplace.com/index.cfm?FA=p...mp;P=HowS_pread

* It is unknown whether immunizing adolescents and adults against pertussis will reduce the risk of transmission to infants.

two more info sites

http://www.doh.wa.gov/cfh/Immunize/documen...ntationplan.pdf

http://www.youngwomenshealth.org/pertussis.html