ACN Latitudes Forums

Want to have son tested. What did they test your child for?

loofagirl

My pediatrician seems a bit apprehensive to order up any blood work for my son. He started ticcing about 2 weeks ago and it seems to be getting worse by the day. In many different posts, I've seen mentions and sniplettes about what potential sensitivities your kids were tested for. I've seen mentions of candida, artificial red and yellow dyes, gluten, etc. I want to have, list in hand, of exactly what I would like my son tested for when I approach the doctor.

When your child was initially (or subsequently) tested for various allergies/sensitivities, what exactly did they order up?

I'd really appreciate it!!

loofagirl,

This is a little hard to answer, for it depends on what direction you want to go in. I really don't think your regular pediatrician is going to be the guy to go for any of the type testing we talk of here. At best, you might ask for a complete blood count panel when you bring him in for his physical. However, I don't believe this will really uncover anything useful.

I started with a DAN doctor (who is also an allergist) and so I went in telling of my son's recent tic (which was a vocal sound) and asked if we could do environmental allergy testing, which he did. He also ordered blood tests which were to make sure all was in order. I did not go any further there. The other thing I decided to do on my own was the Igg type testing for food sensitivities. This is out of pocket usually, and I did it through a naturopathic doctor who ordered the test and did he blood draw for it. Basically I decided what direction I wanted to go and sought out the type of doctor I knew would be able to help me. There are other things you could test for but you will probably have to seek this on your own and I believe most will be out of pocket. Since your son has really only had tics for a very short time, I would experiment with the diet and supplements first. May I ask if you have ever seen any other tics before this time, possibly when he was younger?

If you are interested in other tests you could look at this site:

Bio-Center Labs - http://biocenterlab.org/tests/index.shtml

Faith

loofagirl,

Our regular pediatrician did test zinc levels, thyroid function, urine anaylsis, lead blood test (which will only show ongoing exposure..not past which may be stored in tissue or bone) P5P/B6 level, glidian antibody (celiac marker), yeast (blood test). Now this was a totally conventional practice. I even got him to order IgG testing (blood for food sensitivities). It only tested 20 foods, but it was useful and covered by insurance. Most Dr.s aren't even aware that that test is available. You may have to call the lab where you usually have testing done, describe the test that you want, and ask them what the code #'s are. Be sure to stress that it is the IgG type not IgE.

If they can give it to you, you can tell the Dr. office that you have already talked with the lab and have the code for the test. I would really suggest that you do the leg work yourself, before you get to your Dr.s office, so they can't tell you that they don't do that type of testing.

Carolyn here, had shared on the bd. along time ago that it's important not to say that you want testing (like the IGg food sensitivities) in relationship to tics/ts, as insurance will not cover it, if the office puts "tourette syndrome" in the diagnosis area. You have to say that you want it because your son seems to wheeze, get constipated ANYTHING, other than you think certain foods contribute to tics. I'm only talking about IgG testing. The rest of the tests can usually be ordered pretty routinely, i believe, so insurance will probably not question?