ACN Latitudes Forums

What is a DAN dr. and what prompted blood tests?

loofagirl

I've seen quite a few reference to a "DAN" doctor. What exactly is that?

Also, I took my son to his ped yesterday and although he was ticcing in the office, when I asked about a RAST blood tests (or any other blood test, for that matter), he said that it wasn't necessary. What prompted your children to be tested? I've seen people reference specific food/food dye/etc. sesitivities and I think it would make this a much less overwhelming experience if I knew what to avoid.

Hi loofagirl and welcome

DAN stands for defeat Autism Now and refers to a group of physicians who are specialized in treatment protocols for autism

many of these also treat TS/tics etc

I have never been to a DAN doc and so cant comment personally. I have heard good and bad reports and, as with all physicians, I think it depends on the doctor

Always a good idea to ask BEFORE making appt whether they have experience in the areas of concern to you and also ask UPFRONT about costs, as for some it can run waaaaaay high

Most ( or at least many) conventional doctors dont have a clue when it comes to understanding the connections between tics and other factors like food allergy/sensitivity, environmental triggers, metals, infections etc and so they will usually act like it has no relevance........so one either has to push them to run specific tests or find a Doc who is clued up and will run the needed ones

It's my personal opinion that chemical food additives are bad for everyone but are especially bad for kids with neurological issues(eg the MSG, food coloring/dyes, artificial sweeteners and flavors, high fructose corn syrup, chemical preservatives like sodium benzoate, thickening agents carageenan etc etc)

specific allergy tests can show whether there is a need to avoid gluten and /or dairy products and other foods to which the person may be reactive. that is variable depending on the individual. some also try eliminating food groups one at a time to see if improvement occurs

other tests are to check for heavy metals (especially mercury) as well as to test for candida albicans "yeast" overgrowth in the gut and , if suspected, to test for possible PANDAS/PITANDS from strep or other microbial infections maybe being the root cause of the tics. Pyroluria is a condition that can also lead to tic disorders and is an easy test to get done, even without a doctor's signature

some of us have also had specific tests done to determine whether there are deficiencies in any vitamins, minerals, amino acids, neurotransmitters etc

hope that helps

I have probably forgotten some but those are the first that come to mind for me

just adding a PS here

there are other kinds of physicians, apart from just the DAN doctors, who can be helpful in guiding one on these tests and also on treatments. We have had success with Integrative Doctors as well as D.O.s., and I know that Environmental Doctors, Naturopathic doctors etc etc can be very knowledgable in these areas.

and frankly our acupuncture therapist as well as our chiropractor are more clued up on alternative/complimentary and nutritional medicine than many physicians we encountered on this journey. I have to say that at the end of it all we have really taken charge of our own healthcare as a family, and have worked to find health care professionals who will GUIDE us, and help us implement things we have learned of that they agree sound beneficial and safe, rather than to rely on doctors for the whole.

just my opinion that when we try to do it alone, without some form of heathcare professional guidance, we can tend to run in a zillion directions and not get anywhere but frustrated. It sure happened to me when I first started researching ways to help my son. :blink::P

finding a caring and clued up physician, or other person qualified in relevant healthcare, just relieves so much of the stress and guesswork on what we hear and read of and are wanting to try but feel (correctly) cautious to give to a child without qualified guidance.