ACN Latitudes Forums

Could this be a big part of the picture for some tics?

CarolynN

Hello,

I want to share something with you I have been researching for the past few weeks on the internet that may be beneficial in trying to understand the ultimate cause for some peoples tics. I wanted to post this to see if anyone has any thoughts as to why or why not what I found would or would not work to decrease tics. I just really want to help my son and others, who are experiencing tics, so any additional information would be great. I certainly do not want to create a false sense of hope either but I was really excited in finding this information. So here it is.

My son Daniel, as many of you already know, has both vocal and motor tics and has since he was 3 he is now 7. He is triggered by artificial food dyes (especially yellow dye), high fructose corn syrup, MSG, and caramel color. The question that I have had in the back of my mind, for a long time, is what ultimately is making Daniel sensitive to these chemical foods especially MSG?

I am going to be sharing a lot of information with you and I will include the links that led me from one point to another (I also want to quickly mention I have not been able to figure out how to get the spell check to work on this post so please forgive any misspellings). This is not exactly easy for me to explain but please hang in there with me. I have to say I am only a layperson but I have spent many, many hours reading materials regarding Tourettes and Tics.

My understanding now is Daniel's tics may directly related to the lack of something called "sulfate ions" which in turn is creating a higher amount of histamine in his body. What I found out is that histamine is actually a neurotransmitter. So when you have more histamine in your body you have more of this neurotransmitter which ultimately effects the nervous system http://www.raysahelian.com/neurotransmitter.html .

Last night I tested this theory out. I don't know if you read in a previous post, but I accidentally gave Daniel MSG and also let him have way too many treats over Christmas. He has been experiencing a high level of tics for him. Well his body started coming down from it but it never rebounded completely. He did have some foods that I could explain why he would still be having tics but his tics have been at a higher level then I expected (including saying something like "berverba" over and over). So I thought if it is the histamine being too elevated, in theory, an antihistamine would bring him back in line. So before he went to bed I gave him Benadryl with no dyes (he has never had Benadryl before).

We always have to get Daniel up around 12 p.m. to go to the bathroom, or else he wets his bed. When he is "ticcing" he ALWAYS tics during this time when we get him. I forgot I gave him the Benadryl until I realized when I laid him back in bed I had not heard a peep from him nor did I notice any motor tics. I then, literally, held my breath when he got up this morning to see if he would have any. He did not have one until about 40 minutes after eating his breakfast. I cannot tell you how excited I was. I found this post regarding a mother who also noticed a decrease in tics after Benadryl http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...p;mode=threaded .

So this afternoon his tics were greatly decreased, from prior days, and what is interesting is he is getting a cold. This always increases tics in him. They also had a party at school and he had some items like marshmallows, some colored cereal, and few pieces of colored candy. So I was still excited this afternoon to see his tics still decreased (As a side note, I know some children can get hyper from Benadryl so perhaps in that case it might cause problems for some?)

Now I am going to explain, as best I can, what seems to be the ultimate problem at hand for Daniel and his chemical sensitivity with foods. I got this information from a posting off of Latitudes from a few years ago http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...amp;mode=linear . Everyone's bodies have something called sulfate ions. These sulfate ions are key to detoxify the body. When you read the post you will see and I quote "The PST sulfation pathway is necessary for the breakdown and removal of certain toxins in the body. This includes the processing of a type of chemical called phenol." It goes on to say "if the sulfation pathway is not functioning well the person may not be able to process out the phenolic compounds as fast as they consume them. There is a CUMULATIVE EFFECT. When the phenols start backing up in the system, it can cause a myriad of negative effects." (quick side note, I read Epsom Salt baths help with the process of removing these toxins the post explains this real well)

This is the most key part to me. Again from the same post above "The detoxification pathway processes other phenolic compounds including salcylates, artificial food colorings and some food colorings" . So in other words, without the sulfate ions working correctly the body cannot detox itself from the chemical foods Daniel is sensitive too.

What I am picturing in my head is this. When I allow Daniel to have more treats then normal, like Christmas, what is happening is I am overtaxing his already low, sulfate ions, which in turn cannot process out the toxins. So now his system is in overload and has no way to take out the toxins it needs too including the toxins that naturally occur in vegetables, fruit, milk etc. So even though Daniel is not "allergic" to these foods like milk, vegetable and fruit he longer can process the toxins out of these foods creating a more toxic environment. Then lets say he goes to a birthday party and eats icing with artificial dyes he is going to have an even bigger problem because his overtaxed sulfate ions have no way of process out the toxins and hence he has higher levels of histamine. As I mentioned prior, the histamines are a neurotransmitter and will ultimately affect the nervous system.

Now comes the next part of the picture. There is a man, many of you may be familiar, named Dr. William Shaw. He is part of the Pfeiffer Treatment Center.. He explains in in this interview with Shelia Rodgers his theory about Tourettes and people with Tourettes tend to have a high histamine issue, or what her refers to as undermethylation http://www.hriptc.org/latitudes.pdf . The undermethylation is very confusing but I found this website to be useful http://www.enzymestuff.com/methylation.htm .

This is the part what I found very fascinating. If you look at the list of things Daniel is sensitive too most of them fall under one category they are all naturally high in histamines themselves even before you consume them http://sun1.awardspace.com/Conditions/Sola...tamine_diet.htm . So here I have a son who is naturally high in histamines now adding more histamine into his body from foods and chemical foods. So he is getting more and more histamine in his system that ultimately effects the nervous system.

I have a friend of mine whose son is autistic. She has done everything for him completely taking gluten out of his diet, vitamin therapy, amino acids, etc. She saw success from doing these things but kept seeking answers for him. She recently started going to the same doctor I go to, for Daniel, to do the treatment similar to NAET that I have posted. The doctor told her to put her son on digestive enzymes. My friend said she cannot believe the difference in her son since being on the enzymes. She said it has freed him up to eat so many things he could not eat before. She still keeps him off gluten though. (I found this book which I have not read but have ordered called "Enzymes for Autism and Other Neurological Disorders by Karen DeFelice"). My doctor had tested Daniel and said he needs to be on enzymes, too, because he is not digesting proteins well.

My friend told me about a doctor who has dedicated his career to developing enzymes his name is Dr. Houston. Dr. Houston has an enzyme product called No-Phenol. The No-Phenol breaks down the "toxins" in the foods including artificial foods and also salicylate food (vegetables and fruits). They also have enzymes to help with proteins (milk included) and carbohydrates. Anyhow I contacted the company by e-mail, and I found them very helpful in answering my questions. I will be starting Daniel on these enzymes as soon as I get them. I also think I will be putting him on an enzyme to help break down proteins. Here is the link http://www.houstonni.com/ . They also have a great Q&A section on the website.

In regard to the enzymes, a few things I learned that once you start taking enzymes you start digesting your vitamins more efficiently and ultimately you may have to back off on how many vitamins you are giving because more is being absorbed into the body. Also I learned you can experience a die off effect from the enzymes because they kill candida. So if you do not start gradually, you could actually get worse before you get better due to the die off effect of the candida. I also learned that it takes time to see the ultimate results of the enzymes. They can take up a month to build up in the system. Enzymes, are in general according to my doctor, a very beneficial thing for anyone to take.

***(Please note update-I wanted to come in and update on this post due tell you of the reaction I think my son is experiencing from the No-Phenol. We started the no-phenol yesterday. His tics have just sky rocketed. I really think he is experiencing a candida die off reaction. I just learned, through searching on the internet that No-Phenol is very effective in killing off yeast and also other enzymes can too. With his sulfate ions lacking I am assuming his body is having a hard time getting rid of the toxins from the die off. I gave him 1/2 a capsule yesterday and today. So I need to cut way back and allow his body to take this in very slowly. I am assuming once we get beyond the die off reaction we will start seeing the results.)****

Also it is very important for you to realize that pro-biotics are not enzymes. They have two different functions. Here is a link that explains the difference. You just need to scroll down about halfway on the link and look in the right hand column and it explains it http://heartspring.net/probiotics_enzymes_...stion.html#diff . From what I am understanding, both probiotics and enzymes would be very beneficial together for the intestinal system.

So what I am starting to wonder is the reason our children or ourselves need such high levels of B vitamins and other vitamins because they are not ultimately getting absorbed due to lack of enzymes? So by getting the body balanced better through the enzymes would allow the body to absorb more nutrients directly from food and also from the vitamins.

Now a few last things to mention about my son's situation. Daniel is on Bonnie Grimaldi's Ts-Plus (10 capsules a day), glycine (an amino acid), Gaba, and Omega 3. I don't believe Daniel has a metal issue or candida issue. So my point is this perhaps the only thing left to clear his system of tics was getting rid of the additional histamine. In another persons case perhaps if heavy metals are still a problem just getting the histamine back in balance might not be enough (I am absolutely theorizing I have no idea). I also don't know how this would all work with someone with PANDA's since PANDA's is related to a bacterial strep infection.

One way or another I feel like I am starting to get a better feeling on ultimately what is going on with his body. I am looking at it like this. If you build your house on sand you are not going to have a strong foundation. In terms of Daniels body, if he does not have enough enzymes to help process the toxins it is ultimately going to create problems within the body. Perhaps, some and I am not saying all, people experiencing tics it is simply the way the body is showing its allergy through the increase in histamine due to the lack of enzymes and also being deficient in certain nutrient like the B vitamins and magnesium.

I got thinking about this post http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2329 because I read it a while back and it was in the back of my mind why did he stop having tics while sick with the stomach bug. Well I just wonder if it because his histamine level was lowered due to no foods entering in his system.

I also remember another post, I could not find it, of a mother that when she gave her child high levels of vitamin C his tics went away. Well vitamin C is a natural way to lower histamine and so is magnesium.

I thought you might find this interesting. I found this posting from a man who suffered from migraines for 20 years and finally came to understand that he could not tolerate a high histamine food diet and he also explains how MSG would play into this. He also talks about a lack of enzyme being involved http://www.migrainepage.com/dcforum/discussion/14166.html .

This article is very interesting regarding people who cannot tolerate chemical foods also states it is due to lack of enzymes http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info...troduction.aspx .

Again any thoughts or new directions I could follow I would so greatly appreciate. By no means am I saying I am 100% accurate in what I am conveying nor am I, as earlier stated, trying to create false hope. From what I learned, with the information I have so far, it seems to be somewhat plausible theory. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something or Daniel's no tics this morning and decreased tics this afternoon was just purely a coincidence but I can tell you I have not had a tic free morning, with him, since prior to the beginning of December (all the fun treats around Christmas and going out to eat more then we should!).

I am passing this information along to see if we, as a forum, can come up with some more answers as to what might be an underlying cause. Also PLEASE feel free to correct me if I was wrong in any of the information I just passed along. I certainly do not want to convey incorrect information to people who are seeking answers to what can be such a stressful situation.

I am going to keep praying for answers. I have learned one thing in my life God is faithful! I may not understand his timing always, or why things happen, but he has always guided me. I am so thankful for Him.

I think I will try to go to bed now. This is my third night in a row up until 2 a.m. My husband calls me the "bulldog". When I get focused in on something I just don't stop until I understand it. My OCD, that I have since I was around 7, is actually helping my son out. Isn't that funny something that plagued me for so long could actually be a benefit!

Carolyn N.

[i]John 3:16 "For God so loved the world he sent His one and only Son that whoever shall believe in Him shall not perish but have ever lasting life" [/i]

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carolyn.

Great post! You have been busy, haven't you :)

There are some theories on how sulfur metabolism plays into strep, also there may be some info on this thread that you may want to read.

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?...=2844&st=15

I didn't follow the links in your post, but if you haven't read the original work by Waring on this subject, you might want to read this too.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:8RCav...;cd=7&gl=us

R.H. Waring, School of Biosciences, University of Birmingham, Birmingham. B15 2TT U.K.

Everything you said sure makes a lot of sense. You've obviously been doing a lot of research and have explained your findings very well. I am able to understand more about these issues with the phenols etc. after reading your post!

I read Karen DeFelice's book and my 7 yr. old son has been on the AFP and Zyme Pryme enzymes since Thanksgiving. We were having too hard of a time trying to eliminate 16 foods from his diet that he was sensitive to- I now give him enzymes before every meal and am thinking about switching to the Tri-enza(sp?) when I run out. It seems to be working- we only see a tic occasionally- the only diet we stick with now is the Feingold diet and try to eat mainly organic.

When we were seeing an environmental dr. a while back he wanted to give my son some sort of vaccine (sublingual and he said just a smigeon- I can't remember the name of it) that he said would shift my sons immune system from reacting allergic- we didn't do it but now you have me wondering if that might be something to consider - your explanation about the higher histamine levels in the bodies of some of these kids really got me thinking!

Tom's Mom and Kim thank you so much for your kind words!

I just have to share I am sooooooooo exicited. I gave Daniel some more Benadryl tonight, because he did start having some tics right before bed but minimal compared to the nights prior to my "experiment". I just got him up to go to the bathroom and guess what NOT A PEEP!!!!

I seriously do not know if I will sleep tonight. I just am so hopeful these enzymes will sort out his intestional system and in turn lower his histamine. It certainly would be an answer to my prayers and my husbands!

Carolyn N.

Carolyn GREAT POST.

I am also ALWAYS searching for that missing link with my son. My Intergrative dr does NMT. I know there was someone else on here that does that, was it you? can't find the post. Last appointment I asked my dr to check to see if he needed enzymes. We were testing for so many other things she forgot. He does take probiotics, but I think enzymes will definetly help. We added a liquid magnesium and I added mag/taurate. Things seem a little better.

Thank You so much for sharing all of the info you have learned. I actually got very teary-eyed reading it. I hope it is your missing-link.

I am going to give it a try. I do have Digestazon Plus from Amazon Herb Co. I have recently learned alot about enzymes in school.

My blessing in disguise was my son getting a dx of Tourettes. I am now a Holistic Health Counselor (still in school) and I am now counseling others. So good things do come to us for all of the research that we do.

Stay Healthy,

PetB

www.BrendaHealth.com

Hi Carolyn

I honestly cant remember whose posts were here in the past on how their child's tics so improved with anti histamines but I do recall the discussions.

I am late starting work so admit I have only skimmed your post and not followed the links (so you may have already included the posts I refer to above) but good for you for doing all that research to try to add pieces to your child's specific puzzle and for sharing it. It may well be of so much help to others too.

My son was initially misdiagnosed for what we now know were sniffing/throat clearing tics and was given an antihistamine inhaler. He had a BAD reaction to it, and we also were not able to give other anti-histamines as he seems reactive to them. yet he is HIGHLY sensitive to the chemical food additives, and does not tolerate some B vitamins well and especially cant take B-complex. Not sure what the biochemical answers would be to that, but just thought I would mention his situation

Thanks Carolyn.N,

Do you feel this is why kids outgrow most of their tics, because they outgrow the allergy, so histamine levels lower?

I have been holding off on the enzymes, but I think I will give it a try I would love to report back to everyone how your theory worked on a child who has been dx with TS passed down from the genes.

Thanks for sharing. I really do believe you must be on the right track, as so many kids are helped with diet change.

Funny... This past summer when my father-in-law was visiting (does not think he has TS) We all see and hear his tics though. Anyway, after he spent 2 weeks with us and had to eat our good food. He did say he thought that was interesting we chose to see how food effects our son. Long story short, he whet home and has changed his diet somewhat. Eating sprouted bread ect...

My husband and I think he is giving the diet theory a try, just to see if it helps with any of those tics (he doesn't have) :)

God does answer every prayer, He may very well be using you to answer some of my prayers. Thanks

C.P.

Hi Carolyn,

I found your post so intersting. When my daughter started ticing with eye, I took her to the opothomologist. He told me not to worry it should be gone in few weeks. He mentioned it could be vitamin definency. Well any way I went home and made sure she took her mul-ti vitamin. A couple of weeks later she had allergies and I gave her benadryl. For two weeks her eye did not twitch at all. Then the opothomologist called to see how she was doing and I told him shes not twiching alot but a couple of weeks ago it stopped completely. He wanted to know what I did. I told him about the vitamins and benadryl and he told me, I don't think its the vitamins because that usually means she would be sick;also, I don't think the benadryl has any thing to do with it. That week I had a nero appt and I told him. He told me to be very careful with benadryl you can make her tics increase. Well anyway that scared me , so I never let her use benadryl again.

Now I know everyone is different when it comes to tics and benadryl can increase tics but it can also decrease them as well. My daughter also has digestive problems. Well thanks for the information Carolyn. Maryann

Chemar,

I came across something in my research and I thought of your son, while reading this, with his problem with some B vitamins. This is a long post, and I included it in my orginal information, but scroll down about half-way. You will find a section that is labeled "So what does this have to do with enzymes or autism/conditions neurlogy". Right below this it goes in nice detail about why some people have a problem with some B's. I am curious if this makes sense to you after you read it http://www.enzymestuff.com/methylation.htm .

Also I found this old Latitudes post where they go in great detail about "undermethlayte (high histamines) and overmethlated (low histamines) and which supplements to take or not take. I really enjoyed it and for one thing I found so interesting is I, having OCD, exhibit a lot of the symptoms of a undermethylation. Here is the post http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=837 .

Chemar, do you have any gut level guesses as to what could have been in the anti-histamine to give a reaction? I am just thinking if we could understand why he reacted it could be another piece of the puzzle for people.

I am finding all this information so interesting.

I have to say, Claire who I have not seen on the forum in recent times, was very knowledgeable. It was from her posts that really the information started coming together for me. So Claire if you happen to read this thanks!

Carolyn N.

Maryann,

Wow! That is so exciting to me that you saw the same result with your child when taking the Benadryl.

I just think it is so exciting that enzymes could be the answer for many along with other supplements and correct eating.

From the reading I have done I am understanding that not all enzyme products are the same. I certainly am not promoting Dr. Houstons enzymes. But from the reading I have done he seems to have done a lot of research in developing them.

So my point is this perhaps someone has been on enzymes and has seen no results. Perhaps it is due to it not being the right enzyme for the problem going on in the intestional system. It may take a combination of enzymes like the "no-phenol" along with another enzyme, for example for carbohydrates or for protein, to get the result needed. Perhaps buying enzymes say from, a general vitamin store, may not be a good enough grade enzyme to make the difference. We all know that some manufacturers of vitamins and supplements seem to be of "better quality". I think of Bonnie Grimaldi's vitamins for example. They are formulated so well. Just for the sake of reference here is Dr. Houston's website http://www.houstonni.com/ .

I also wanted to share when Daniel got up this morning he did have a few tics, whereas yesterday he did not. He still was lower in tics overall this morning. I noticed they did pick up again after he ate breakfast (my guess is his body was getting more histamine from the food.) Also he still is fighting a sore throat.

Again, please realize I am by no means an expert on what I am sharing here. It is all just from what I have read recently.

Carolyn N.

I just found out from my friend, whose son is autistic, which enzymes she uses for him. I know she has done a lot of research for her son in terms of finding what is best for him. I don't know why or how she came to the conclusion to use these ones but here is the information. She gets them from Kirkman Labs. They make a lot of different enzymes and she uses Enzyme Complete DPP-IV II Isogest Formula http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/products/enzyme...ymes_index.html . I know her son has a very hard time with gluten. Again everyone's bodies are different in what is going on with the enzymes so what works for one person may not for another. I know for my son it looks like he really needs the No-Phenal products to help process out the toxins in foods. I think, ultimately, it may be a lot of trial and error to figure out the right combination.

She also told me she uses a probitoic by Pharmax. It is called HLC MindLinx it is designed for autism and ADHD. Their website is at http://www.millnut.com/HLC-Mind-Linx_p_0-96.html .

Carolyn N.

Hello everyone again! Kim's links explain exactly why the lack of sulfate ions could be the ultimate cause for some tics. PANDA's tics could also be attributed to this according to what I read in her post. From what I could quickly gather after a person has strep guess what the sulfate ions go down!! So now toxins are building up in the body which will ultimately affect the nervous system. So getting this all working again in a person, through the correct enzymes (this part may not necessarily prove to be easy in figuring out which is best), could be an answer. I am not saying other supplements are not needed like, magnesium and B's, but perhaps this is the foundation of which ultimately needs to be repaired.

Another point to think about, and I am just theorizing, but if someone is high in metals (like mercury) could this keep the enzymes from doing their full potential? Perhaps you would have to get the metals figured out along with the enzymes.

I am so sorry for all the posts I keep doing but my mind is going 100 miles an hour on this.

Thanks Kim for posting this it just seems to really prove that there really could be something promising to this theory!

Carolyn N.

Carolyn N.

Thx for sharing your research. It was very well put together. I have gone thru almost the exact path of research you have and based on that i have formulated a plan that works for my son. I too, for the past couple of years have obsessively researching & reading and have not gone to bed before midnite. But i have to say, the effort is well worth it, as i see result in my child.

Here is what we do that has helped my child.

* EPSOM BATH (Becasue i also thought my son was lacking in sulfate ion and have a hard time detoxing. Now only as needed basis. )

* MAGNESIUM CREME ( when he is waxing )

* MAGNESIUM SUPPLEMENT (Natural Calm to lower histamine as my son was born w/asthma & w/food & environmental allergies)

* VITAMINE C ( to lower histamine, although he is only on it as needed when he experiences nasal allergies )

* CHIROPRACTIC ( to relax the nervous system, help with sensory issues, to align any misalignment as result of the tic )

* NAET ( to desensitize him from food & environmental sensitivities )

* CSP ( to relax the nervous system to aid in desensatizing sensitivities and to better detox )

* UNDA #s ( to relax his mental nervous system as he is easily frustrated and tends to hold on to past unpleasant events )

* EXERCISE ( to build up resistance to stress and improve sensory issues )

* BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION ( to change his negative way of thinking & to handle things differently )

* ORGANIC DIET whenever possible, eliminated the use of any toxic chemicals, such as cleaners, personal care products, cookware or plastic drinking bottles.

* FILTER WATER

* AIR PURIFIER

* EAT MORE PROBIOTIC FOOD ( Kefir, yogurt, miso, tamari ... )

* REDUCE TV VIEWING & VIDEO GAMES ( i believe that it taxes on his nervous system which hinders his sensory issues )

We tried probiotic supplement from our previous ND, and he had new and more frequent tics as a result. And i also believe my son does not respond well to enzymes. So i relied heavily on getting the necessary probiotic & enzymes from food. One thing i learned from this is that my son only respond positively to treatments in moderation. Case in point, he had more tics when he started on Unda #s 2X/day with 2 drops. But responded positively when it was reduce to 2X/day, once a week with 2 drops. Also, he almost always have slightly more symptoms when he start a new treatment plan.

I do believe that when your body is in balance, it will detox naturally and safely. So i always make sure that he has a productive bowel movement daily. I think this really helped his body getting rid of toxins so he can better tolerate more w/o reacting to it.

So to sum it all up, i am attacking at it from his nervous system stand point to get to the underlining issues.

I agree with you, if you follow this theory, it is very possible for someone to outgrow this condition as with allergy issues. So I am very hopeful (given that there is no genetic TS).

My son is continuing to do well. I would say 99% better and he is eating everything, but in moderation. And still avoid anything artificial, MSG and preservatives, since they are not good for anyone.

Your son is very lucky to have a very proactive & dedicated mom as his advocate. And that goes to all the parents at this forum, as we are all looking out for the best interest of our children.

And the greatest thanks goes to Chemar, who has voluntaried her time and dedicated herself so unselfishly to helped so many people when they are at the end of their ropes. I don't know where myself & my son would be w/o Chemar & this forum. Thx to all who has reply to my many questions.

God bless and peace.

Pat

I thought this might be helpful for those who are wanting to try using Dr. Houston's enzymes. I had e-mailed the company and asked how do you combine their products since Daniel needs the No-Phenol (for the artficle foods and fruit/veggies) but he also needs to be on a protein enzyme.

This is what I now understand:

You can take the No-Fenol with AFP-Peptizyde. If you eat a meal that has gluten, casein, soy or other protein -- and it has some colorings, then you give both products together. The products were made with a customized combined approach in mind.

If you have a meal that doesn't have any colorings, then just give the AFP.

Dose according to the size of the meal. You will want to work up to 1 capsule (or 3 chewables) of AFP. No-Fenol is strong and some find they can give a smaller dose of it. You can try 1/2 capsule each time, or 1 chewable. Use more if that dose doesn't seem to help. It takes 3 chewables to equal the potency of 1 capsule.

Please note, I was just reading my literature I received from the company and it says the No-Fenol can tends to soften stools. You may need to make sure you are getting a good balance and not too much so you don't have other kinds of problems, you know what I mean!

Like I said before they have a great question/answer section. So I am sure you can get more answers from their website. Also remember some people experience a die off effect of candida in the initial phases of enzymes so don't go too crazy at first.

***(Please note update-I wanted to come in and update on this post due tell you of the reaction I think my son is experiencing from the No-Phenol. We started the no-phenol yesterday. His tics have just sky rocketed. I really think he is experiencing a candida die off reaction. I just learned, through searching on the internet that No-Phenol is very effective in killing off yeast and also other enzymes can too. With his sulfate ions lacking I am assuming his body is having a hard time getting rid of the toxins from the die off. I gave him 1/2 a capsule yesterday and today. So I need to cut way back and allow his body to take this in very slowly. I am assuming once we get beyond the die off reaction we will start seeing the results.)****

I have been very impressed with the quick customer service of this company. I wish all companies were this way!!! Just for the sake of convenience, so you don't have to find the website in this long posting, here it is http://www.houstonni.com/ .

Just a quick side note. I don't know if it was just my computer or their website but both times I placed orders, in the past two days, I received an error page after I clicked the ok to order button. But then when I checked my e-mails it showed the orders went through.

Carolyn N.

Carolyn N.,

I think you absolutely have something here. Over time I have read (and re-read) much of the info and links you posted, so yes, I believe they are all very important and very interesting stuff. I admire how you have put it all together to try and explain it all, NO easy task!

You are absolutely right to post your info and hope that the rest of us might fill in the blanks. Now we are starting to think alike. :) I'm going to try and go back over some of this and give it all another shot to see if anything new jumps out at me.

At one point, I was researching the histamine thing too, and I don't remember exactly if I did, but I think we had a little discuss here where I was questioning my son's possible allergy to our cat. He had intradermal testing for environmental allergies and cat was a 5 out of 10 (moderate). Long story short, I wondered if I was paying enough attention to that and wound up getting a product from our naturopath called D-Hist http://www.drhoffman.com/page.cfm/745. I did give it to him for a while, I think I went through two bottles. At first I thought maybe, but ultimately, I don't think the results were exactly what I hoped, but I gave it a shot.

I did order the Houston enzymes and used them for a couple of weeks for pretty much the reasons you stated. I stopped, can't remember exactly why, but things were getting a little waxy with him (don't think it was because of the enzymes, but don't know, other things going on too), so I pulled back on some things and just stayed with the probiotics and his b12/folinic acid and of course the magnesium. He did settle down from his vocal and eye twitching (much much milder), so I'll stick to this right now. But perhaps if I gave the enzymes more of a chance, I don't know. Possibly I'll try again down the road. Let us know how it goes for you.

I will also say that I also believe that probiotics are pretty essential and I have made a mental note that my son seems to do better since I started giving two a day as opposed to one. For whatever that's worth. Could you tell me more of how the probiotics figure into this?

As far as the benadryl, are you just giving that now every day? I don't know but does that actually "lower" the histamine or just "stop" the reaction. That might be something to look into.

Thanks for putting that all together, especially for many newcomers who may have not gotten to that information in the archives yet....... And no need for any apologies about now knowing it "all" for I feel that the more information we toss around, the better. So again, thanks, what you've done so far is really great!

Faith