ACN Latitudes Forums

Am I going overboard?

JennyC

Did anyone feel that way in the first week of the GF diet?? Seriously, Im wondering why am I doing this, am I doing it because Im going overboard, maybe I didnt really need to in the first place. Her tics were under control with casein out of her diet so why did I start this?? Her test came back negative, she is thriving, she isnt complaining of belly pain other than when she is constipated....should I just stop? Am I just getting carried away??

Jenny,

Well, there is nothing wrong with exploring all possibilities and at least you are getting really educated on some of the issues . You do say her tics are under control, does she still have some tics or are they eliminated with the dairy free? That's great that you found something that seems to help. How long on that did you say. Sometimes the other issues may take a little longer to resolve but will respond to this diet. Personally, I think your daughter is really still a baby, and the behaviors you are concerned over will most likely resolve by the time she begins school. Running around and tantrums are just part of the toddler years, I don't think that is at all unusual, some kids are just more of a handful or more difficult than others. Would you describe her as a little hyperactive? Its possible that that will be her disposition. Have you tried other dietary restrictions that are a little easier to implement like as in the Feingold Diet. Would you say she consumes a whole foods diet or more processed foods? Does she drink alot of juices? Some are loaded with sugar and high fructose corn syrup and lightening up on that alone could help. Also, maybe just sticking to meat, vegetables, fruit, potatoes, pastas, rices and whole grains would be a better way to start? Or you could just eliminate wheat instead of all gluten? You are doing great trying to find all you can to help your daughter be as healthy as possible, so just take it one day at a time. If this feels overwhelming, you could try some of the above and if after a while you still feel you need to try something else, then you can go ahead with the gluten free. And if you want to do that now, you could try it for a month and then evaluate if you see any real improvements and weigh in on how worth it you think it would be to stick to it.

Have you ever thought of seeing a DAN doctor for guidance on this type of diet and if it would be beneficial for your daugher's issues? However, it would be probably an out of pocket expense.

Sorry to give so many questions when you are so stressed out. You don't have to answer them directlyif you don't feel like it, I just wanted to throw out some things you could just think about to help you sort out your confusion. Sometimes it helps for someone else to look at the picture from the outside in.

Faith

She has small tics now but nothing like she did when she came off of dairy, it only took about a week to see a huge reduction in tics.

Yes I would describe her as hyperactive. No she doesnt get many processed foods, I love to cook so most of the stuff I make is from scratch. She does drink a lot of juice but they are 100% juice and I still water them down because she is so young and drinks so much.

I have thought about seeing a DAN doctor but we are dead broke to be honest.

Jenny,

I hope you are feeling a little better this morning? We as parents stress way more than this does our kids, i know. I think all you are doing is majorly great, and just sharing your experience regarding the removal of dairy is a great help to all of us here too. I truly believe a wholesome diet can do nothing but keep her healthier in the long term. And just being the mother of a toddler is enough without dealing with any extra issues, so go give your beautiful girl a big hug and enjoy the heck out of her! Ask for guidance from above and I know you will find it.

Blessings,

Faith

Its just hard because she is deprived of a lot of things, a lot of extra cost and time goes into it and if she doesnt truly need it then I dont want to do it. Ive seen no improvement, granted its only been a week but if anything she is more constipated and her behavior is the same.

Jenny

One thing I learned after lot of struggle and Cheri's posting is if something is working don't introduce or try anything new and every kid is different so it is highly possible will react differently. I am very reluctant to introduce anything new in vitamins , trying separate diet , enzymes if something is working . Trying things might provide you more answers but I know as a parent we don't have courage to see if it adversely affects them.