ACN Latitudes Forums

chewing on things

JennyC

Isa hasnt done this in awhile but Im using you all to tell me what is normal weird kid behavior and what is not. I have no other children and Ive never been around young kids so I dont know.

Isa went over a period of a week or two where she would chew on the wood furniture, just gnaw on it....anyone else ever heard of this or have a child that does this?

Ask her if her teeth hurt/itch/ feel funny. Could be that she is coming down with a cold, is low on zinc, or is having a food allergy reaction. Tigger used to also chew on ice (I believe I read somewhere that that could be attributed to a magnesium deficiency).

Hi Jenny,

Could I ask why you originally had her tested for celiac? Did she have symptoms of that? I had a friend who's daughter was always throwing up after eating and wasn't thriving and cried alot, and it took some time before they finally tested for that at the mother's insistence and realized it was celiac disease. I think they have to biopsy the intestine, is that how you did it. Also, you say your child is not quite three yet--is she speaking words yet?

Do you give any supplements, as she is very young.

Faith

Isa has been severely constipated ever since she was started on table food at about 9 months. She is growing just fine though. She does have a big bloated belly. She was always a really really unhappy baby, crying ALL the time! Finally this fall we went to see a gastroenterologist (cant spell that word!) and he tested her for a bunch of stuff. Celiac came back negative as well as food allergies but he asked us to take her off of milk and we did which did help a little but her tics drastically reduced so she stays off of dairy now.

First they do a blood test and if that comes back positive then they do a biopsy.

Isa is speaking in full sentences and has been for awhile. The only supplement we give her is viactiv (which has milk in it!) to replace the vitamins she isnt getting from Dairy.

I honestly dont think she has symptoms of celiac disease. Maybe a couple like the bloated belly but I really dont think thats it. The reason that I took her off of gluten is because from what Ive read it seems like casein sensitive kids are also gluten sensitive. So basically Im just taking her off of it for a month or so to see if there are any changes in her. If not then I know she isnt gluten sensitive and wont wonder about it anymore.

Isa has been severely constipated ever since she was started on table food at about 9 months. She is growing just fine though. She does have a big bloated belly. She was always a really really unhappy baby, crying ALL the time! Finally this fall we went to see a gastroenterologist (cant spell that word!) and he tested her for a bunch of stuff. Celiac came back negative as well as food allergies but he asked us to take her off of milk and we did which did help a little but her tics drastically reduced so she stays off of dairy now.

First they do a blood test and if that comes back positive then they do a biopsy.

Isa is speaking in full sentences and has been for awhile. The only supplement we give her is viactiv (which has milk in it!) to replace the vitamins she isnt getting from Dairy.

I honestly dont think she has symptoms of celiac disease. Maybe a couple like the bloated belly but I really dont think thats it. The reason that I took her off of gluten is because from what Ive read it seems like casein sensitive kids are also gluten sensitive. So basically Im just taking her off of it for a month or so to see if there are any changes in her. If not then I know she isnt gluten sensitive and wont wonder about it anymore.

I have a book called Beyond Prozac. In it the doctor states that "chewing" stimulates serotonin release. That might be what is going on with kids that

chew. I knew a little boy who chewed his collars on his shirts. Serotonin is calming for some kids.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/...87066-4,00.html