ACN Latitudes Forums

heartburn/nausea

MARYANN

Hi, Does any body no a natural way to get rid of heartburn. My daughter was doing good. Sheis on the digestive enzymes, intestinal support and prescribiton Aciphex for heartburn.

The doctor gave me a 30 day supply the second week in Nov. I should be out of the pills but have 10 days left. He told me to make sure she takes it 30 days straight. Between her sleep over at her friends house and telling me she took it and guess she did'nt. I want to get her back on track. Is there anything else I should do? I'm going to call the doctor and ask for another prescribition and after the full thirty days if it does not go away im going to take her to a gastrologist. Does this have anything to do with tics? It seems my daughter can not have anything greasy with out getting heartburn. Any advice, Thanks for your help Maryann

Maryann,

Did she always have the heartburn problems, or is it possibly due to the enzymes, etc?

I am not absolutely sure of this, but I have read that excess acid in the stomach is actually caused by a LACK of sufficient acid, and so the body tries to make more of it to compensate? Something to that effect. Forgive me for not being exactly clear, but you could research it. SO, I believe the natural remedy is to actually eat something ACIDIC like a couple of pieces of orange? Or possibly even a teaspooon of apple cider vinegar mixed in water? I think it is benign enough to try out. But do look this up for a better explanation.

Faith

Faith and Maryann,

My son's Dr. said the same thing about the acid you discribed Faith. She said the food putrefies in the stomach, because of the lack of acid. She said to take a spoonful of apple cider vinegar before each meal. On empty stomach. She had me do this with my son to see if it had a burn. The burn was a good thing, If no burn, could be why he was not absorbing some vitamins.

Just wanted to let you know I heard the same thing from Dr's lips.

:( C.P.

Hi Faith and CSP, Thanks for the info on the vinager I will try that. Now im not sure what I think it is. The doctor did say she has poor absortion. She can not have any kind of grease with out getting nausea. Right now she can't any way it was going good for awhile. I have to get her back on track.Well I hope it burns when she takes the vinager. I only have Distilled white vinegar in refrig. Is that alright? Thanks for the info

Maryann,

I would not do the white vinegar, apple cider vinegar is so healthy. I have a 32oz bottle I got for only $6.00. If you can get Bragg raw unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar (with the mother) that would be my first choice.

My Dr. said if my son had no burn then he was to take the spoonful every day at each meal until he did start to feel the burn. That ment he was building up the acid in his gut.

Im really getting into this whole gut/brain thing too, along with another mother I can't remember who keeps saying that.

God Bless,

C.P.

Thank you so much. My doctor put her on digestive enzymes and vitamins. He said she should only have to take the digestive enzymes for about 3 months. I don't know what connection this has with the tics if any at all. I think I my daughter is his first patient with tics. Do you think the digestive enzyems is something she always going to have to take.

When I first went to the optomologist and he told me not to worry about her twitching it will go away.

I remember him saying sometimes its caused by vitamin definacency. I went home and made sure she took her vitamins and also at the same time she was taken benadryl. It went away for a couple of weeks. The eye doctor happen to call couple of months later and I told him. He said im going to be honest with you, I don't think its the benadryl and I don't think its the vitamin because when you have a vitiamin diefincency that usally means you are sick. I always wanted to call him back and ask sick what kind of sick but I never did. I do know now not to give benadryl it could cause the tics to increase. I will be giving her the apple vinager everyday, until it burns. Im going to see if I can try this on my son. He is 19 now, I dought it! Thanks again C.P.

Hi I was just looking in here... and saw this post.

Heartburn in a young person, is not so often due to low acid issues, as it is in older adults.

Using an acid blocking drug, is only good for short term issues, IMO. What happens is that protein does not get digested properly

when you use Aciphex or other similar drugs. This protein then ferments further down the GI tract and and creates GAS which then

moves up to cause reflux and heartburn. ( a vicious circle)

When you eat a high fat meal, the fat keeps the food in the stomach a long time. Emptying is delayed. This can reflux back

up if the stomach is very full, or there is gas present. You can reduce gas with simethicone, commonly found in many heartburn

remedies. I like Maalox multi symptom (previously called MAX) instant dissolve. But there are swallow caps called Gas-X.

This helps to pass gas and prevent most of the reflux issues. Alcohol, chocolate, and high fat contribute to slow gastric emptying.

People who reflux food back, should not bend over, exert themselves, or lie down after eating. And eat early enough before bedtime

so the stomach has emptied.

Often heartburn is a sign of essential fatty acid deficiency. The Omega-3 family --specifically flax oil, helps the stomach

protect itself from acid. It improves the mucous coat there in the stomach. You might consider this. Omega-3's totally cured my GERD

many years ago! ( I have a severe Hiatal hernia as well).

Taking Aciphex to lower acid and then cider vinegar to raise acid seems counterproductive to me. I think you need to find ways to protect the stomach lining so the

heartburn does not occur.

Some people use Betaine HCL tablets to improve stomach acidity. The betaine portion is beneficial for methylation chemistries, and the HCL is

contributing to the acid.

Hi MrsD- Thanks you so much for the information. I started giving her the flex. I was giving her the fish oil but I took her off, im not sure but I think her tics increased with the fish oil. So, for now on i'll give her the flex. I think i'll keep her on the prescribition and when she done with that ill give her the apple vinager. Mabey ill call the doctor and ask him. She is going away tonight and coming back sunday. It's hard at this age, she will be 14 in FEB. I don't know whether to call her all the time and remind her to take her vitamins,intestinal support which she has to add to her drinks twice a day.

The digestive enzymes and the glutathional. Also, the aciphex. Should I just leave her alone and see how she does on her own. She gets constipated so easily im also worried about that.

I told her not to eat popcorn, no candy. Her new love now is peanut butter which she never liked before,I told her not to have that , so she does not get constipated. I apologize for rambling. Thanks again for your help Maryann

Hi MrsD- Thanks you so much for the information. I started giving her the flex. I was giving her the fish oil but I took her off, im not sure but I think her tics increased with the fish oil. So, for now on i'll give her the flex. I think i'll keep her on the prescribition and when she done with that ill give her the apple vinager. Mabey ill call the doctor and ask him. She is going away tonight and coming back sunday. It's hard at this age, she will be 14 in FEB. I don't know whether to call her all the time and remind her to take her vitamins,intestinal support which she has to add to her drinks twice a day.

The digestive enzymes and the glutathional. Also, the aciphex. Should I just leave her alone and see how she does on her own. She gets constipated so easily im also worried about that.

I told her not to eat popcorn, no candy. Her new love now is peanut butter which she never liked before,I told her not to have that , so she does not get constipated. I apologize for rambling. Thanks again for your help Maryann

There is a good peanut butter now by Smart Balance ...it has Flax oil in it. So if you choose to use it, you won't need supplements at all.

I use this brand exclusively now, and it tastes fine (not as sugary as Jif, but not strange like the organic ones).

I just about lived on peanut butter in college when I had no money...it is basically a comfort food for me. Now the new type is just

wonderful in my opinion!

It is hard to keep track of a 14 yr old. So you can try food sources. Omega-3 eggs, for eggs, Smart Balance Mayo... there are even

some new yogurts out there with Omega-3s. Good for kids of all ages, and grownups too!