ACN Latitudes Forums

Observation of why son has had recent burst of tics

I wanted to share with you what I have observed in my son Daniel over the past year and now the last week. I hope this might help somebody.

Daniel has been having tics since he was 3. He is now 7. He is very sensitive to MSG. I have posted about this before. His other main triggers are Red 40, Yellow 5, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Caramel Color, and I recently discovered Yellow 6. Daniel has also been on Bonnie Grimaldi's TS-Plus for the past year (10 capsules a day), Omega 3's, Vitamin C, Glycine, and additional magnesium in various forms. I also added GABA and inositol just recently for anxiety.

Anyhow, in one year I have seen him go from ticcing sometimes multiple times a minute to literally no tics at all. This has been accomplished through taking out a vast majority of artificial foods from his diet, completely getting rid of MSG, and also taking the supplements (which by the way I am so thankful to Bonnie Grimaldi for making her TS-Plus product available).

I noticed around Halloween he had some tics, which I expected with the little bit of candy he had eaten, and things subsided back to no tics within a week or two. This Christmas I got a little too confident in how well he had been doing and started letting him have more "extra treats" then normal. You can guess it. This meant more artificial coloring and high fructose corn syrup in his body.

After a week or so of the increase in artifical foods he started chewing on cloth or toys around the house. We have seen this in the past from him so it did not surprise me (as a side note the Dr. Fiengold discusses how chewing on cloth is a sign of artificial sensitivity).

Now the past week his tics have exploded and I can tell you why. On Christmas Eve he was given just two little sausage links in a "pigs in a blanket" breakfast potluck we had. My husband did not realize that he was feeding him MSG. He had some increase in tics but not a severe reaction like I would expect before the vitamins. Then just a few days later he had just a few, maybe 6, McDonald's french fries. These have MSG in them. He now started rolling his eyes back into his head on and off for a day (not continual by any means). A week after that I gave him a Trader Joe's BBQ Chicken dish which had soy sauce in it (just maybe an 1/8 of a cup or less of the chicken dish). Within one hour of eating this, I now have a boy who is turning his neck side ways multiple times a minute and making various sounds including saying words like an exaggerated "okay". When he started with this burst of tics I thought what did I feed him that caused such a reaction? I went back and read the Trader Joe's ingredients. Soy sauce is naturally high in MSG. I honestly was just plain not thinking when I gave him that to eat.

I guess my whole point is this, perhaps when you or your child start experiencing an increase in tics it could be from a cumulative effect of the offending agent over a month or more period of time. MSG and artificial foods build up in the body and can take weeks to get out of your system. It may be that the last food item you or your child ingested simply tipped the body over to a point where it is now having a burst of tics and any more offending agents are just going to exasperate the situation. I picture it this way, Daniel's body is like a glass full of water the water is able to stay contained as long as no one fills it too full. Once it is too full any little drop of extra water is going to spill out. The question really is where is that overflow point and for everyone it is going to be different. For example, I have noticed that Daniel is not able to eat some of the foods that he could tollerate prior to this MSG overdose. Foods that without his body being on high alert are now offending agents to him and I will see an increase in tics within an hour of him ingesting.

I wanted to pass along a couple websites I found helpful in explaining how the body responds to MSG in MSG sensitive people and also an article I found on why people are more sensitive to artficial foods then others http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info...troduction.aspx and this one too http://www.msgtruth.org/why.htm . This one explains how MSG works within the body and I found it very interesting http://www.truthinlabeling.org/I.AreYouSensitive.html .

The problem with MSG is it is hidden in so many different ways. I did a post on this not too long ago at http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2598 . I just wonder how many people really understand how bad MSG is for the body and the horrible consequences that can occur for highly sensitive people?

I also wonder, even though I really don't want to know the answer, if I did not know that MSG was the main cause of Daniel's tics, I fed him the normal American diet and did not have the vitamins going in him (the magnesium taurate and B's) how bad would he be today? I really think he would be in very bad shape.

I am taking Daniel back to my doctor tomorrow who does something similiar to NAET. It has been 6 months since he has been I know he needs a "tune up". So I am going to be asking my doctor tomorrow one main question. What can I give Daniel, whether it be a digestive enzyme or additional B6, that could help him with his MSG intolerance or also known as "free-glutamate intolerance"? If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. The allergy treatments we have done, similiar to NAET, have worked great but has yet to be able to get rid of the MSG sensitivity.

Also I am wondering Daniel was VERY jaundice as a newborn. Could this have triggered the "tourette's gene (which is on my mother's side of the family)" to come out in him whereas if he had not been jaundice he would not be experiencing this? My other son who is 5 1/2 has shown absolutely no signs of tics but he also was not jaundice. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts regarding this.

Have a blessed day,

Carolyn N.

Carolyn N.

Thx for your post. You are a wonderful mom for making such close observation between food & tics.

We have also done NAET the last 2 summers. Do you notice your son has higher tolerance to sensitive or allergic food or environmental issues after his treatments that is similar to NAET? If yes, how much improvement do you notice?

Thx for your feedback.

Pat

Hi Patty,

I really do believe it has given Daniel a higher tolerance to be able eat more "offending" foods, like the artificial color foods and high fructose corn syrup, then he would have otherwise been able to eat. For example, being able to go to a birthday party and eat what the other children are having (other then items with MSG).

I have to tell you I have referred many people to her. Her name is Dr. Orona at Naturopathic Family Care in Phoenix. She has helped so many of my friends including a friend of mine whose son is autistic. My friend's son now is able to eat more foods then he ever could eat, without experiencing the problems he had before ingesting them, and he is doing better then ever. I do have to mention he is still not eating gluten and he also his on a vitamin and amino acid program. My friend has been so happy by the results she is referring other people she knows, whose children have autism, to Dr. Orona. Also one of my friends who had a chronic cough for years went to her and had the treatments. Her cough is totally gone.

It really is an amazing treatment. Now how it all works I still don't quite get. When I explain it to people it just sounds so crazy but it really does make a difference.

I hope this answers your question and thanks for the nice comment about being a good mom. I just love my son so much and I am so confident that there are answers for him. God has certainly been my guide the whole way in showing me what to do for him.

Carolyn N.

Hi Carolyn N.

Thank you for explaining that so well. I think that is what I am always trying to describe, but you put it out there in a very informative way. This is pretty much what I believe I go through with my son, for he doesn't react immediately, but I have to know when enough is enough. And it is hard with an eight year old. He does not want me to say in front of anybody what he shouldn't be eating or drinking, he gets embarrased. I havn't figured if msg is the one to watch, but I do try to keep as clean as possible. If his tics are at a minimum and not too noticeable, I too get confident and let him indulge, however as I say, I don't see immediate reactions so its easy to think certain things don't bother him, when if fact they do, but only after overdoing it in short periods of time. (another reason why doctors or even people in general don't believe food has anything to do with this, as it is not so clear cut and takes much observation and trial and error).

I am curious, did your son ever have vocal tic before or just now with this recent spike? You are right, I don't believe it is cooincidence, it was probably more junk than he could handle. Please let us know if he settles down after a week or so of "housecleaning".

Also, what is the treatment that you use similar to NAET?

Faith

The way you describe the water glass is similar to Doris Rapp and her bucket theory which I always go back to - if the bucket gets too full of offending things - be it food or environmental it will overflow. She also takes about infection being like a hole in the side of the bucket - so things spill out immediately even if the bucket is not too full. We see this as the case with out PANDAS son.

I cant tell you what might help, yet I am thankful for all the moms who take the time to post their info. I have listened to part-not all of Amy Yasko's speech posted on here and she talks about MSG and Aspartame as excitotoxins as well. I have been considering the digestive enzymes as well. Please let us know what the doctor says may help and what they say about the digestive enzymes. Thanks.

We have used the Bonnies' vits along with diet changes in our son with good results.

After a couple weeks off school, I thought a few tics would surfice but there was not really anything.

He did have some minor vocals one night due to what I believe was a reaction to chocolate.

I honestly believe there is a direct reaction to chocolate, not sure what is in it, but he always reacts with tics after he has some.

I am still skeptical on the NAET. We have had about 10 appointments at a cost of over $1100 and I keep thinking they are working, but he still gets the dark circles under his eyes.

His last major explosion was just prior to him going into grade 3 this September. Since then, they have been very minor. My biggest issue is probably with myself! I keep bracing myself for another explosion instead of taking that one day at a time approach.

I understand that no one can really tell me if he will get worse. He is 9 and the tics started when he was 7. I hope and pray that he will, or is growing out of them, but I need to somehow accept the fact they could get worse when he reaches 11 or 12.

Like I said, I still need to take one day at a time!

Hi Lenny,

We haven't heard from you in awhile and I was wondering how your son was doing. I feel the same way and keep wondering if I will get over this. I just want to fast forward until he is 15 or so. Yet he is doing great and I hope and pray it remains that way. It will be a year for us next month. I recently read something that said 8-12 is the highest level of ticcing so I just keep thinking that I am in the thick of it now and hope it will only continue to get better, not worse. I went to my sons first basketball practice for the year last night. I was nervous because of the lights, yet he remained fine. The funny thing is that one of the other players was doing some ticcing-raising eyebrows and hard blinks. I always think that I am alone in this, yet now that I notice, I do see other children experiencing the same thing. Glad to hear your son remains stable and I was wondering how many Bontech you give your son? I just started my son on these and it seems like a lot to give 500 mg of magnesium. Do you?

I wanted to share with you what I have observed in my son Daniel over the past year and now the last week. I hope this might help somebody.

Daniel has been having tics since he was 3. He is now 7. He is very sensitive to MSG. I have posted about this before. His other main triggers are Red 40, Yellow 5, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Caramel Color, and I recently discovered Yellow 6. Daniel has also been on Bonnie Grimaldi's TS-Plus for the past year (10 capsules a day), Omega 3's, Vitamin C, Glycine, and additional magnesium in various forms. I also added GABA and inositol just recently for anxiety.

Anyhow, in one year I have seen him go from ticcing sometimes multiple times a minute to literally no tics at all. This has been accomplished through taking out a vast majority of artificial foods from his diet, completely getting rid of MSG, and also taking the supplements (which by the way I am so thankful to Bonnie Grimaldi for making her TS-Plus product available).

I noticed around Halloween he had some tics, which I expected with the little bit of candy he had eaten, and things subsided back to no tics within a week or two. This Christmas I got a little too confident in how well he had been doing and started letting him have more "extra treats" then normal. You can guess it. This meant more artificial coloring and high fructose corn syrup in his body.

After a week or so of the increase in artifical foods he started chewing on cloth or toys around the house. We have seen this in the past from him so it did not surprise me (as a side note the Dr. Fiengold discusses how chewing on cloth is a sign of artificial sensitivity).

Now the past week his tics have exploded and I can tell you why. On Christmas Eve he was given just two little sausage links in a "pigs in a blanket" breakfast potluck we had. My husband did not realize that he was feeding him MSG. He had some increase in tics but not a severe reaction like I would expect before the vitamins. Then just a few days later he had just a few, maybe 6, McDonald's french fries. These have MSG in them. He now started rolling his eyes back into his head on and off for a day (not continual by any means). A week after that I gave him a Trader Joe's BBQ Chicken dish which had soy sauce in it (just maybe an 1/8 of a cup or less of the chicken dish). Within one hour of eating this, I now have a boy who is turning his neck side ways multiple times a minute and making various sounds including saying words like an exaggerated "okay". When he started with this burst of tics I thought what did I feed him that caused such a reaction? I went back and read the Trader Joe's ingredients. Soy sauce is naturally high in MSG. I honestly was just plain not thinking when I gave him that to eat.

I guess my whole point is this, perhaps when you or your child start experiencing an increase in tics it could be from a cumulative effect of the offending agent over a month or more period of time. MSG and artificial foods build up in the body and can take weeks to get out of your system. It may be that the last food item you or your child ingested simply tipped the body over to a point where it is now having a burst of tics and any more offending agents are just going to exasperate the situation. I picture it this way, Daniel's body is like a glass full of water the water is able to stay contained as long as no one fills it too full. Once it is too full any little drop of extra water is going to spill out. The question really is where is that overflow point and for everyone it is going to be different. For example, I have noticed that Daniel is not able to eat some of the foods that he could tollerate prior to this MSG overdose. Foods that without his body being on high alert are now offending agents to him and I will see an increase in tics within an hour of him ingesting.

I wanted to pass along a couple websites I found helpful in explaining how the body responds to MSG in MSG sensitive people and also an article I found on why people are more sensitive to artficial foods then others http://www.plantpoisonsandrottenstuff.info...troduction.aspx and this one too http://www.msgtruth.org/why.htm . This one explains how MSG works within the body and I found it very interesting http://www.truthinlabeling.org/I.AreYouSensitive.html .

The problem with MSG is it is hidden in so many different ways. I did a post on this not too long ago at http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2598 . I just wonder how many people really understand how bad MSG is for the body and the horrible consequences that can occur for highly sensitive people?

I also wonder, even though I really don't want to know the answer, if I did not know that MSG was the main cause of Daniel's tics, I fed him the normal American diet and did not have the vitamins going in him (the magnesium taurate and B's) how bad would he be today? I really think he would be in very bad shape.

I am taking Daniel back to my doctor tomorrow who does something similiar to NAET. It has been 6 months since he has been I know he needs a "tune up". So I am going to be asking my doctor tomorrow one main question. What can I give Daniel, whether it be a digestive enzyme or additional B6, that could help him with his MSG intolerance or also known as "free-glutamate intolerance"? If anyone has any suggestions I would really appreciate it. The allergy treatments we have done, similiar to NAET, have worked great but has yet to be able to get rid of the MSG sensitivity.

Also I am wondering Daniel was VERY jaundice as a newborn. Could this have triggered the "tourette's gene (which is on my mother's side of the family)" to come out in him whereas if he had not been jaundice he would not be experiencing this? My other son who is 5 1/2 has shown absolutely no signs of tics but he also was not jaundice. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts regarding this.

Have a blessed day,

Carolyn N.

Hi carolyn, My son had jaundice. My daughter is the one with the tics. My son was also very jaundice. I don't know did you hear that from any one? I also wanted to tell you why do alot of nerologists think that it can't be the food that there eating. I don't get it when so many parents are saying the same thing.

It seems like you did a great job figuring out what makes your son increase in tics. I wish doctors would listen to the parents instead of looking at us like we have two heads. Thanks for the info Carolyn

My son Tigger was very jaundiced at birth. Colicky too.

I was told that I needed to go off of milk products (I was nursing).

We do not have 'genetic' TS in our family. My brother had learning disabilities and allergies, but was never 'tested' for food intolerances.

Thanks a million for your post. It was very thought provoking and informative. I have read that MSG is an excitotoxin, but never has the information been put so nicely in reference to a child with a tic disorder.

Faith,

Daniel started with vocal tics at the age of 3. He would make these sounds over and over. I remember asking him to stop and of course it only made it worse. The first time I noticed a physical reaction was he started doing a face grimacing at the beginning of his 4th year. I remember the first time it happened because I was so scared. The funny thing is I remember that day real well because we were at a friends house. Guess what he had just eaten (MSG). My friend had bought for our family Chick-fil-a chicken nuggets (they are LOADED with MSG). I can look back on this and see such a clear picture now of what had occured in his body. Obviously, then I had no clue what had just happened to him.

This past summer I had decided to switch Daniel off of the Bonnie Grimaldi vitamins to try to save some $$$$. At first we seemed to be very successful at finding substitute vitamins. I started giving him Magnesium Citrate whereas in Bonnie's TS-Plus it is Magnesium Taurate. Well after about a month of being off the vitamins I had given Daniel, again accidently because I was just learning about what foods contained MSG, 4 Tyson Chicken Nuggets from Costco. Within 45 minutes he started rolling his eyes back and making vocals. It took a little over a week of giving him a "clean" diet to get him to stop. So needless to say we put him back on Bonnie's product. I think sometimes you don't realize how well they are doing on something until you see a reaction like he had.

Also comparing his reaction over the past summer to what has recently happened in the last week I can say Bonnie Grimaldi's vitamins certainly have helped counter his reaction. In the summer it took just 4 chicken nuggets to get to the same basic reaction compared to having eaten quite a bit of artifical colors over the Christmas and having 3 occurances of MSG in the last few weeks. I am certainly not saying to take Bonnie's vitamins to be able to eat more unhealthy but to me it shows she has formulated them so well that they do seem to help the body deal with offending agents more. But Bonnie Grimaldi herself, on her website, says changing your diet is absolutely key along with supplements in helping get the tics under control.

I will "try" to explain the system similar to NAET. My doctor uses NEAT (simply the vowels turned around). She uses a computer and a metal rod. The metal rod touches around the knuckles of the hand. The computer starts going through literally hundreds of possible allergies in one visit. After the computer determines your sensitivity level to different allergies a vial of homeopathic beads is made to represent those allergies. The patient then holds the vial in one hand. The doctor pushes down on the arm holding the allergens and you literally loose strength in the arm where the vial is being held. The doctor then does accupressure on your back and retests your strength. Low and behold your strength is back (it really is amazing and I would not believe it if I had not done the treatment myself several years ago!)

The basic premise is the metal rod sends a current through the body and as an allergy is tested if the current can make a full arc through the body you are not allergic to that item. If the current gets stuck in the body you know you have an allergy (I know it seems really strange but I swear it works). When the doctor does the accupressure on the back while you hold the vial it basically "resets" your brain in regard to the allergies. You then have to avoid the allergy for 24 hours.

The treatment consists of four visits total. The first visit is for environmental, the second for chemicals, the third for foods, and the last they call cleanup just to make sure everything "stuck".

What really convinced me years ago that this worked I was in this doctors office in the waiting room. A woman who was around 50 was talking to another woman. She said she had suffered with allergies all of her life and nothing worked for her until she went through the NEAT program.

With all this being said I do find that it is not necessarily a permanent fix. Some people may be able to go years without a "tune-up" where others may need to go every few months. I cannot tell you why one person would accept the treatment longer then another but it does happen.

I don't think anyone else in the country is doing the NEAT program. The doctor who developed it is named Dr. Kail. He also is in Arizona in Scottsdale. I know he has gone around the country trying to teach people this system but it is a very expensive piece of equipment to do the treatment (I think my doctor said it was around $20,000 to purchase I may be wrong though).

My husband says I can never leave short voicemails nor can I leave short responses so I apologize for the long response.

I will let you know how he is doing in a week. The problem I am going to have over the weekend is we have a birthday party to go to. One thing I have started doing with him to "bribe" him is I will say if you have just a few bites of the birthday cake at the party I will make you a special treat when I get home. He ususally likes my treats better so he feels like he gets two treats ultimately and he has then not eaten much of the offending food at the party.

Take care,

Carolyn N.

Lenny,

Just to let you know I go through the same emotions as you. My next worry is he makes his confirmation soon. It just seems to be one giant circle with no end.

Some days I wake up and forget this has happened, most days it is the first thought I have. Like right now he will be home in 5 min. and I'm bracing for the worst. Even though he has been doing so good I still think it will all backfire.

I pray every day my love for him is unconditional.

God Bless you, I hope the years go by with only daily improvement for your son.

C.P.

Hi Imcgill,

I wanted to give you a thought about chocolate being a trigger. I honestly thought, when I was on my initial search for triggers for Daniel, that chocolate was the primary thing giving him problems until I figured out the MSG/Artificial food connection. But I can look back now and realize why he was having a problem with the chocolate. It was due to the artficial ingredients added into the chocolate. For example vanillin (artficial vanilla), high fructose corn syrups, or artificial colors like all the pretty colors in M & M's. As a side note, I recently discovered that Ghiradelli chocolate does not use anything artifical and they sell chocolate chips in the baking aisle so I can make chocolate chip cookies again.

Now with that being said, there can be a reaction to Tyramine's. Chocolate does naturally have tyramine in it so in large quantities it certainly could be a trigger by itself even in a product that is all natural. Since I discovered that it was the ingredients added into the chocolate and not the chocolate itself when I give Daniel treats that are all natural chocolate he does not seem to react. Again, to repeat myself from my earlier post, that does not mean someone else would not react at a smaller does of chocolate. But here is a website regarding tyramine's that Kim on another post had referenced http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyramine .

In regard to your experience with NAET I wanted to share something with you. I think the thing that can make all the differance in the world is the doctor who is performing the treatment. What I understand is if someone's body is not correctly positioned during the treatment it can make all the difference in how effective the treatment turns out. Obviously some doctors will be more experienced to know how to perform it correctly then others. From what I have seen in order to become a doctor who does this treatment it is just a matter of going to a few seminars (please correct me if I am wrong because I don't want to over simplify). So I just wonder how experienced is your doctor in actually doing this?

I can tell you even with the NEAT treatment my son Daniel has been doing, and I have done in the past, there is another doctor at the office who had administered it to him and did not catch nearly the amount of allergies that Dr. Orona detected. The reason why is the other doctor was not paying attention to how Daniel was holding the metal rod. You have to have a tight grasp and when you are 7 it is hard to sit and remember to do everything the doctor tells you to do. But the doctor I am seeing now, Dr. Orona, really pays attention to Daniel in making sure he does not "loosen up" his hold of the metal rod.

I hope this helps. The biggest problem is how do you know you are seeing a doctor who is really experienced with NAET. I know on the NAET website at http://www.naet.com/ it lists the doctors that perform it and when and how many seminars they have attended. So perhaps you could check out your doctor on the website and how many seminars/training he or she has had.

Have a great day,

Carolyn N.

Maryann,

Regarding my jaundice question it was more just a thought as to could it be a possibility? I know we have been created so complex so it could be so many different factors as to why one family member develops something like tourettes and another person in the same family does not.

Being that I have another son, and obviously boys are so much more at risk of the tourettes gene coming out, I am very thankful but I also am perplexed as to why he would not have tourettes too. So one of the thoughts I had is could it be that Daniel was jaundice and my other son was not. However with that being said so many babies are jaundice at birth I am sure that would be a tough thing to really figure out if it had any relevancy or not.

As to your comment about Neurologists ,I too get very frustrated that it seems they are absolutely ignoring the obvious. Food and environmental factors are absolutely a root cause! I have thought if there was some way I could show a group of Neurologists, say at a Neurologist convention, the difference in my son an hour after eating ingesting MSG perhaps then they might believe it and they could really help people get to the root cause. I obviously would not want to put my son actually through that experience but I just wonder what will it take to convince them??????

Carolyn N.

Hi Lenny,

We haven't heard from you in awhile and I was wondering how your son was doing. I feel the same way and keep wondering if I will get over this. I just want to fast forward until he is 15 or so. Yet he is doing great and I hope and pray it remains that way. It will be a year for us next month. I recently read something that said 8-12 is the highest level of ticcing so I just keep thinking that I am in the thick of it now and hope it will only continue to get better, not worse. I went to my sons first basketball practice for the year last night. I was nervous because of the lights, yet he remained fine. The funny thing is that one of the other players was doing some ticcing-raising eyebrows and hard blinks. I always think that I am alone in this, yet now that I notice, I do see other children experiencing the same thing. Glad to hear your son remains stable and I was wondering how many Bontech you give your son? I just started my son on these and it seems like a lot to give 500 mg of magnesium. Do you?

What a nice reply, thankyou.

I can't recall how old your son is? We give our son 6 in the morning and 6 at night of the TS Plus Control and 1 of the EPA/DHA with them. I also give him about 3/4 of a tbs of Kids Calm in the evening. He has come to like the drink and he takes his vits with it.

I felt so bad a our church the other day, his freind gave him a chocolate cupcake full of blue icing and all those sprinkles and I got after him for biting into it and he broke down in tears and dropped the balance on the ground and went to the car. I felt like crying too, and told him I was so sorry. It is difficult for us, they want to be like the others and I don't blame him. Makes it tough parenting in these situations, I don't want to see him have tics, but when you take in the fact that he doesn't even know he does them most of the time I feel guilty that I am doing it for myself and not him.

Take care,

Lenny