ACN Latitudes Forums

Bread

JennyC

Okay, Im having no luck making gluten free casein free bread. Ive tried white rice flour and Ive also tried Bobs Mills Gluten Free All Purpose Flour...no luck!! Doesnt rise well and comes out dry and like a brick. Ive seen Bobs bread mixes and hesitate to get them because they are so expensive...help please!

Bread from Anna is a nice mix. We buy the yeast free one. It is wheat, gluten, corn, soy, and dairy free. They suggest you use a dairy free milk. You could just use water too. Here is the trick: Right after you take it out of the oven remove it from the pan and wrap it in a wet tea towel until it cools. (I soak and wring out the towel) This will soften the crust and make it much more palatable. We also add a bit of organic brown sucanant (sugar) to the loaf (about 1/4 cup). My hubby likes it to taste more like Irish Brown Bread, which is a bit sweeter. The mix isn't cheap, so we only 'splurge' on it once a week. You will be lucky if it lasts more than two days. It is not a sandwich bread, though. We spread jam on it and gobble it up at breakfast and 'tea' time (after dinner, before bed snack).

I will get back to you on a 'from scratch' recipe in the future as I have pressure to make this 'recipe' cheaper and more often. If I can come up with a taste alternative that is not too expensive we will make the switch.