ACN Latitudes Forums

antibiotics

MARYANN

Hi everyone, Im taken my daughter to the school nurse in about hour and a half. I just thought what if she tells me she needs a antibiotic, is there anyone she should not have? I hate the thought of telling the nurse she can't have a certain antibiotic,because so far everyone looks at me like im crazy. My daughter has a cold, and her throat and ear hurts. No fever. She has these red spots on her tongue. What do you think that is, could be a virus, right? Like always thank for all your help Maryann

Hi everyone, Im taken my daughter to the school nurse in about hour and a half. I just thought what if she tells me she needs a antibiotic, is there anyone she should not have? I hate the thought of telling the nurse she can't have a certain antibiotic,because so far everyone looks at me like im crazy. My daughter has a cold, and her throat and ear hurts. No fever. She has these red spots on her tongue. What do you think that is, could be a virus, right? Like always thank for all your help Maryann

Hi Again, My daughter does have a virus. No Antibiotic needed, but does antibiotic makes the tics worse? Thanks

Maryann,

Did your daughter have any spike in tics with this recent virus? Curious why you saw a school nurse? Are they allowed to prescribe medications such as antibiotics? If that ever comes into play about the certain antibiotic (what is it btw?) just say it doesn't seem to work on her. Like when I was younger we used to get arythromycin all the time for sore throats and infections, but they after a while I would never get better on them, so the doc had to give me something else. I always reminded the doctor of that whenever I would need antibiotics. I guess we took it so much that I became ammune to it?

Also, if you don't mind, could I ask a little about your history of ocd, as you mentioned you have? Does your daughter show any symptoms of that, however mild? I ask because I think my son has ocd tendencies, but on a subclinical level right now, so I was wondering if it was that way for you as a child? Did it get more pronounced in adulthood? He is very into his own routines, has is own way of getting things done (or not!) even though they are not obvious to anyone else (teacher does realize this is what hinders him in completing tasks at school).

Thanks

Faith

Maryann,

Did your daughter have any spike in tics with this recent virus? Curious why you saw a school nurse? Are they allowed to prescribe medications such as antibiotics? If that ever comes into play about the certain antibiotic (what is it btw?) just say it doesn't seem to work on her. Like when I was younger we used to get arythromycin all the time for sore throats and infections, but they after a while I would never get better on them, so the doc had to give me something else. I always reminded the doctor of that whenever I would need antibiotics. I guess we took it so much that I became ammune to it?

Also, if you don't mind, could I ask a little about your history of ocd, as you mentioned you have? Does your daughter show any symptoms of that, however mild? I ask because I think my son has ocd tendencies, but on a subclinical level right now, so I was wondering if it was that way for you as a child? Did it get more pronounced in adulthood? He is very into his own routines, has is own way of getting things done (or not!) even though they are not obvious to anyone else (teacher does realize this is what hinders him in completing tasks at school).

Thanks

Faith

I was never diagnoised with ocd. Going back to my child-hood. I remember don't step on the line on the sidewalk. When I was in the car I always made games up and counted all the red or blue car. Same with houses , I would say a numberand count and that house would be mine. Silly stuff. Was that ocd I don't know. It was not until I was 21 that I kept peroixideand alcholol in my desk.

I was constantyly washing my hands. When they started selling antibacterial lotion that was great. Still I never thought of myself as having ocd. I always check the whole house to see if everything is off. When I am stressed I can check it 3 - 4 times. I actually missed the bus because I had to check it one more time. It was not until my daughter was watching tv , I think it was Oprah as a matter of fact and said mom that's you. It was about a mom, She had OCD she was over protective. My daughter school is around the corner. She is in eighth grade, it makes me feel better to look out the window to watch her go in. Other things I did when they where little. The fork had to be on the napkin , if it hit the table I would give them a new fork. I did that about 2 years. Silly stuff.

My daughter did not have any spike in tics. Still ticing the same. Only I notice it. My daughter does not show any signs of ocd. My son just wrote a report on college for ocd. It is something we don't talk about I just happen to come across one of his assignments and I saw a list. I asked him about it and wanted to know what topiced he picked and he said ocd. I asked to read it and he said no, he told me it was about me. I really would like to read that report! Does your son have to go back and do things over? Im sure there is different signs for kids im not sure of what they are. That does not sound like OCD

to me alot of kids have thereown way of doing things. Im no expert im sure you will be getting better

advice from people who know. Just like tics you can control ocd too. I feel when i am stressed I do crazy things. Thanks for the advice on the antiabiotics. Yes the nurse is a nurse practioner and she can prescribe medicine. I hope you find all the ansers your looking for sorry I was of no help.

Maryann

thanks maryann,

my son seems to take a longer period of time to complete tasks, and I think we have figured out that it is because he has sort of his own way of following his own routine, if that makes any sense. Yes, probably lots of kids do that, but this goes on day after day and the teacher notices it too. It seems he must have a certain anxiety about how he does stuff and can't just hurry along unless he is forced to. Like he erases his work alot to get the letters perfect, which they sort of are in the first place anyway. Its a little hard to decipher, because he doesn't seem to do the obvious things as you say, checking, or doing things a certain number of times, or the washing hands. He is also very anal about his clothes, gets stuck on wearing only hooded sweatshirts now, or can't transition from shorts at the end of summer, has to change socks every time he has to put shoes back on cause he says they smell from the sneakers. He's cute though, like he somehow makes it seem so normal, he stresses, but acts like its supposed to be that way, he doesn't come off strange.....just a pain in the back end!!

I am just worried that it may make the progression to the more obvious stuff, so I was wondering how adults fair with it. I definitely think he has the tendency toward it along with the predisposition because of the tics. It sure sounds like yours does not cause you much stress or interfere with your life in a big way, so that is what is considered subclinical, I think. The report your son wrote apparently about you did give me a chuckle though!

Faith

HI Faith,

When our son was 8, 9, 10, he had what I would call more OCD. I remember when homeschooling him his desk was always neat. He would put all his books away and tidy up before going out to play. Now that he his 14 he does not care about picking up. His room can be a mess sometimes. The only thing I notice he does is wash his hands, but that is not over and over. Just before he eats and after taking the trash out. You know what a mother would want their son to do.

My husband said when he was little he had trouble with socks in his shoes, and tags. He outgrew that too, they don't bother him anymore.

C.P.

Thanks C.P.,

its good to hear that this could be outgrown too. Hopefully with maturity my son won't care about these things anymore either. Interesting about your son washing his hands, I actually have the opposite! I always have to tell him to go wash his hands but sometimes I'm thinking maybe I better not so as not to give him the idea!! Although he does have this thing where last thing before bed he will spend about 5 minutes in the bathroom washing one hand especially the thumb as he still likes to suck on it (and with his blankie he's had since a baby!) while falling asleep, he says it has to be clean and doesn't want the part that is near his nose to smell....some of it is a little amusing, but I always worry it could get crazy. :(

Happy and healthy,

Faith

At this point our ocd has not been related to washing hands either. However he takes the longest showers and all the lights in the room need to be on including the closet. That is like 8 lights and they have to be on every time he enters the shower. His is more routine oriented with compulsions. Like the frequent urination. Repeat running to the bathroom. Repeat cracking knuckles in a pattern of left then right hand. Another obsession is on collections and getting every happy meal toy in a series. Also he obsesses on movies and fixates on them and memorizes songs and lines from movies. He has the same quirks that come up time and again in conversations about body moles, arm pits and China. He also fusses about socks and seams and tie up shoes. That is why I love Crocks for him. We have the same nighttime routines too. I have to pick an animal for him everynight to hug. These are a few examples of what I see as OCD in PANDAS with Andrew. My grandma is 95 she has compulsion about handwashing, using papertowels and cleanliness. It is a bad thing to have. She washes her hands till they are raw. Also goes through rolls of paper towels by the dozens. Nothing is ever clean enough or washed well enough for her. She is a great dish washer! We all have some compulsions don't we?

Michele

Thanks C.P.,

its good to hear that this could be outgrown too. Hopefully with maturity my son won't care about these things anymore either. Interesting about your son washing his hands, I actually have the opposite! I always have to tell him to go wash his hands but sometimes I'm thinking maybe I better not so as not to give him the idea!! Although he does have this thing where last thing before bed he will spend about 5 minutes in the bathroom washing one hand especially the thumb as he still likes to suck on it (and with his blankie he's had since a baby!) while falling asleep, he says it has to be clean and doesn't want the part that is near his nose to smell....some of it is a little amusing, but I always worry it could get crazy. :(

Happy and healthy,

Faith