ACN Latitudes Forums

Off Gluten , more tics?

JennyC

Isa used to have really bad tics, full arm tics with both arms, legs , shrugs, hand to nose, hand to brow etc. We took her off of casein and her tics reduced drastically. We decided to try her off of gluten to see if that would help in any other way. Yesterday was her first day off, in the afternoon she had a few full arm tics and today she had a full arm tic. Now I know most of you would LOVE for their child to only have those few tics but she hadnt had a full arm tic since she went off of casein and now all of a sudden she is tic-ing again when we go off of gluten...any suggestions?

JennyC,

Give it some time before you make a full decision. Check your labels, investigate all foods you are feeding her. Keep a log. These are things I would suggest. It is VERY likely you have given her something with casein and or gluten unknowingly. For example, Rice Dream Rice Milk is not all Gluten free--you have to read the labels. I learned this on a celiac forum after having given it to Tigger unknowingly. Some of their milk is labeled gluten free, but their 'original' is not. Their vanilla flavored most likely has corn in it. Are you giving your daughter soy milk? Maybe she is having a reaction; soy is hard to digest as well.

Don't give up just yet. I made many mistakes in the beginning just trying to figure this whole thing out. It is quite possible she has another allergy as well that is causing tics. (In our case it is also corn). Keep the diet simple for a few days.... meat, potatoes, vegetables, etc... Be sure to give her cal/mag supps. In the very beginning, before we had him allergy tested with the Alcat, I remembered that whenever I gave Tigger homemade ratatouille he ticked less. Now I smile at the thought because that was the only recipe in my original repertoire that was both gluten and corn free. Are you giving her Darifree? That contains corn. Almond milk? It might be a nut problem....

Email me offlist if you'd like. I can help you iron this out a bit based on my experience.

Keep your chin up. We saw a lot of wax ons in the beginning, before we figured out what worked and didn't work. Now we have our basic menu of favorite recipes and our specific brands that work for us. Persevere. You are your daughter's best advocate. I know you can do it.

Caryn

She has been on soy milk for a long time. Off of casein for 6 weeks or so now. I did notice that the gluten free stuff I got here has ALOT of corn in it.

I emailed you at your email address yesterday, did you get it? I seem to be having an issue with my computer where sometimes my mail doesnt get to its destination. Send me a message on here if you didnt get it.

Jenny,

I don't think that lack of gluten would cause the tics to increase. It is probably something else that is causing ther eaction. I would also suggest that you give it a chance, we have been gluten free for about 6 weeks now, it is hard sometimes as my child is 12 and wants to be able to eat what her friends eat when they go out. But, most definately her tics have diminished significantly since we went gluten free and she does not complain of pain any longer (the pain which was extremely severe in her muscles just months before). Good luck to you and I hope you find answers, it definately gets better.

Anna

My son is not gluten free, yet I thought of 2 things. If you dont want to keep guessing, you could do the Alcat test on her to see what it says. It is somewhat expensive though. around 400-600 and she needs to have eaten the food for 30 days prior to have it show up on the test. The other thing I think about is sometimes increased tics for a few days is a good sign. It is almost like a withdrawl sign as much as we hate to see it.