ACN Latitudes Forums

TIGHT muscles all the time and tics

Hi,

My six year old son has tics off and on. A friend of mine suggested massage to help him relax (as stress seems to make them worse).

Has anyone else noticed extra tight muscles on their child. When I try to massage his little leg or arm muscles, it is as if they are flexed as hard as he can flex them. I go in at night to see if they are relaxed and his legs and arms are soft. He seems to like the massage, but I find if very strange that it seems as if his main muscles are always flexed. He is a highly active child who is always running and jumping in and out of the house!!!!!

Thanks for any support! You all are so good about responding to my questions, I wish I had more info/help to "give back"!!!!!!

Tracey,

I have always wondered if the subtle neck movements and head turns that a lot of our kids do, is more related to dystonia. You might want to read a few things along those lines, and see if anything grabs your attention.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/dystoni...l_dystonias.htm

What are the dystonias?

The dystonias are movement disorders in which sustained muscle contractions cause twisting and repetitive movements or abnormal postures. The movements, which are involuntary and sometimes painful, may affect a single muscle; a group of muscles such as those in the arms, legs, or neck; or the entire body. Those with dystonia usually have normal intelligence and no associated psychiatric disorders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetylcholine

Acetylcholine is synthesized in certain neurons by the enzyme choline acetyltransferase from the compounds choline and acetyl-CoA.

The enzyme acetylcholinesterase converts acetylcholine into the inactive metabolites choline and acetate. This enzyme is abundant in the synaptic cleft, and its role in rapidly clearing free acetylcholine from the synapse is essential for proper muscle function.

http://www.restoreunity.org/inhibiting_ace...e_parkinson.htm

Acetylcholine is the neurotransmitter that stimulates muscle cells. It is considered that the higher ratio of acetylcholine to dopamine leads to over-stimulating muscle cells and this imbalance contributes to the various disorders of movement found in Parkinson's Disease.

Hi Tracey,

I have mild tics, but I am almost always tight every time I get Chinese Cupping(form of deep tissue massage) or massage done. I don't think that I realize it most of the time when I'm tensing. Anyways I just wanted to mention that I've noticed the same in myself. Chinese cupping or massage helps me a lot, and it's my favorite treatment.

Carolyn