ACN Latitudes Forums

touretts

Hi my name is Cory I am 27 year old male. I have tourettes one of my tics is a gagging problem. Every where I look for info nothing goes into detail on tics, or gagging. Could there be a poll on ts with a gagging problem to see how meny people have it. I dident know that anyone else had this problem intell I went into brain chat and found more people with the same problem. I think if a poll was to be taken we would know how big or small the problem is so there could be some help. If anyone has any info on gagging PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Thank you for your time.

Hi Cory

I am not too sure what your mean by gagging, but I know that one of my son's past tics involved making a strange gagging noise....he said he had to do it because of the saliva in his mouth and throat.

I did a quick Internet search on "gagging tic in Tourette Syndrome" and turned up lots of references to it....so it is obviously quite common.

I also noticed that the biography of Polly Draper was there, and that she has a gagging tic.(Polly was the producer of that great movie on TS called 'The Tic Code' and she also played the part of Ellen on 'thirtysomething')

It seems to me that often people refer to a gagging tic as a type of "throat clearing"

Do you take any supplements to help with your tics, Cory.

My son is 13 and dx TS since he was 10.

His tics used to be very severe, even when he went on meds for a year, but now that he is on a good nutritional program with special supplements, it has reduced to very mild.

Hope this helps :)

Cheri

ps I see the BrainTalk servers are down today :) hopefully the forum there will be back up soon.

What I mean by gagging I fill like i'm going to throw up all day long. When I get any stress I will start throwing up or dry heaving. Along with tourettes I also have OCD and social problems I stay home all the time. I have tryed alot of differnt meds but nothing i have tryed has seemed to work.

Hi Cory

My son says when he had the gagging tic, the saliva in his mouth made him feel like he was going to throw up too. He used to gag and spit then.

He also has OCD, but, once again, this was helped by supplements.

My son did not do well on any of the meds either....they actually made things worse as they didnt give much relief and brought a whole lot of nasty side effects.

Are you on any meds right now? And seeing anyone to help you?

My heart goes out to you, as it sounds like you are having a hard time, and I know that depression can also creep in.

Please try to post just what you are taking now to help you, so that those with experience and training here can maybe make some recommendations.

Have you ever contacted Dr Duncan McKinley?? He has TS himself, and is a psychologist with a great website called "Life's a Twitch"...you can find it at

http://www.lifesatwitch.com

He is a great guy, who has a lot of experience helping people through the tuff times of Tourettes.....there is an email contact for him on his website.

Sure hope things get better for you....dont give up hope! My son's experience going from severe disabling TS/OCD etc to where he is now is a testimony as to how things can get SO much better with the right treatment and understanding,

Keep posting and learning as much as you can :)

Right now i am taking romron 45mg, guanfacine 2mg, haloperidol .50mg, and diazepam 5mg up to five times a day. I am seeing a psychiatrist about 1 time a mounth. I have tryed alot of differnt meds but nothing seems to work. I would do anything to make this gagging go away. I have not been able to work in almost three years. i am in a ssi court battle and that dosent help out stress levels any. I will keep looking for any help i can get thankyou for answering my message. It's has me looking in places that I wouldent know about if it wasent for you. THANK YOU

Cory

there is also a very good site for Adults with Tourette Syndrome

at http://www.ddonin.com/

That is quite a med cocktail you are on......gotta tell you....the throw up feeling may even be a side effect from all those meds....and especially if you dont feel they are helping you...maybe it's time to try something else.

Some people just dont do as well on meds, and thankfully there are natural treatments that can really help. Even if you can just start with a good multivitamin with an extra supplement of magnesium that's a good start till you can learn more about vitamins and other supplements and which ones help TS.

Also try, if you like it, to eat plain yoghurt. it also helps to strenthen your system, especially when you are on meds.

Have you ever contacted the Tourette Syndrome Association about advocates in your area who can offer you assistance in getting benefits and treatment ? Their website is at http://www.tsa-us.org and there is a link to go to the various states and find a local support group etc. There is contact information and they will provide you with any info they have that can help you. You will also see a section for advocacy, which is very helpful.

Hope things start looking brighter soon, and that the gagging will go as you start to get healthier. I am happy to be of any help I can and sure hope you get the benefits you deserve.

stay in touch :)

• 2 weeks later...