ACN Latitudes Forums

Eye Rolling side to side

Newtothis

Hello, I am a parent of a 8yr old little boy, who, 9 days ago, we started to see his eyes roll from side to side while watching TV. He did not know it was going on nor did he seemed bothered by it. However it is scaring the heck out of us.

Here is a brief summary of whats going on.

- When he talks to us or reads - no eye movement.

- He has suddenly become obsessed with getting on the computer(we have limited that to 20min a day)

- Craves sugary foods

- Seems like he feels constantly hungry

- super tired by his mid-day

- frequent melt downs and frustration

- eyes roll more when he is tired

- when he is sleeping, it does not seem as if his eyes are rolling

- his eyes are not all red in the morning like they get at night, puffy, blood shot and just tired looking

- he also clicks his teeth while sleeping

What we have done so far. He has seen an opthomologist - all good there. But, of course, the doctor didn't see his eyes roll side to side. Today we saw our pediatrician(not much help) he is sending us to a Pediatric Neurologist, I hope soon.

My question here is after combing the web 8 days, is this a complex tic?

I do have a video of the eye roll but not sure how to post it here. This is the first time I have run across a forum online and I am very happy for that. Please help with this if you can. Thank you very much.

***Update, now on day 12 of the eye rolling tic. We have begun to change is diet to a gluten free diet the best we can and have is tv/computer time to just 20mins. His tics have slowed down.

Also finally we were able to have the doctor order some blood work turns out he is a little bit anemic. We are still waiting for the RAAST test result, and strep results. For whatever reason the doctor was adverse to running a metals and vitamin deficiency test. Maybe it comes out his pocket (lol) Also when he did some of the basic neurological test I learned he did them wrong but thats ok, after all ped doctors don't normally see this sort of thing. I ran them at home to make sure he didn't have signs of major brain injuries.

Next it is off to the neurologist finally in a week. (that is fast in Kaiser time)

Few questions

Has he ever had any sorts of Tics before Or it is just sudden onset ?

How much prone he is to strep infections ?

Other then computer obsesion has he shown some other obsessive behaviour activity , like afraid of some thing like germs , excessive hand washing or going to rest room more frequently ?

Has he been on computer or TV on long hours before this Tics ?

these question will more clarity what you should be looking at. If this onset is all of sudden one thing you should get him is tested for strep . Being a parent of kid who gets Tics after strep infection ( PANDAS ) i always look in to this. Second try to eliminate his TV/Computer for few days as they seems to be known to cause for this. According to doctors Tics in genral comes in kids and unless they obstruct there daily activity they don't treat them meds ( too much side effects ). Parents on this forum try alternative treatment for kids like vitamin supplements , amino acids , food elimination and more. Try to read through as much as possible on this forum and i assure you that you are on right place.

Few questions

Has he ever had any sorts of Tics before Or it is just sudden onset ?

How much prone he is to strep infections ?

Other then computer obsesion has he shown some other obsessive behaviour activity , like afraid of some thing like germs , excessive hand washing or going to rest room more frequently ?

Has he been on computer or TV on long hours before this Tics ?

these question will more clarity what you should be looking at. If this onset is all of sudden one thing you should get him is tested for strep . Being a parent of kid who gets Tics after strep infection ( PANDAS ) i always look in to this. Second try to eliminate his TV/Computer for few days as they seems to be known to cause for this. According to doctors Tics in genral comes in kids and unless they obstruct there daily activity they don't treat them meds ( too much side effects ). Parents on this forum try alternative treatment for kids like vitamin supplements , amino acids , food elimination and more. Try to read through as much as possible on this forum and i assure you that you are on right place.

Sudden onset of tics, although teeth grinding has been a while. No strep infections EVER, not afraid of germs. Starting to crack knuckles habitually. He has been on the TV and computer for long hours before the tics.

Did some reading on PANDAS and don't really think it fits him.

We have started supplementing his diet with a multiple B comlex, Magnesium with stearate?, grapeseed extract, edrenal stress booster (adrenal polypedtide from bovine) along with other multi vitamins. We don't know how much to give him though. He weighs 69 lbs. We have also changed what he eats in the last few days. Trying to give him more whole foods. He isn't enjoying this, but we are trying to stick with it. We found a link on someone's post for http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/le...illegal_d-n.htm to find legal and illegal foods to feed him.

We tried a .25 mg Clonzepan to see if there was any affect. There was, eye rolls slowed down and mood was better. But made him very tired. He could feel the difference from the pill.

Newtothis,

- Craves sugary foods

- his eyes are not all red in the morning like they get at night, puffy, blood shot and just tired looking

It sounds like he could have a food intolerance issue. What does he eat a lot of? Our intolerant foods are the ones we generally crave. My son used to crave wheat products: mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, bread, cookies, crackers, noodles. He would eat these things and nothing else. He also had a lot of digestive issues (diarrhea, vomiting episodes, stomach pains that would wax and wane over those first few years). Our doc thought it was a milk allergy and so we took him off dairy from the time I weaned him until he was properly tested by Alcat and we found he had no milk allergy at all, but a wheat, corn, and gluten-intolerance issue.

I am currently reading at length about candida and have read and re-read Claire's thread about food elimination diets. You may want to look into the symptoms here and see if they fit your situation. http://candidapage.com/cccomp.shtml

We have found great success with a gluten-free candida cleanse diet. One type diet that is very popular is the SCD diet (Specific Carbohydrate diet.) We are not 'officially' using it exclusively, but I have been cooking up some of their free online recipe ideas. http://www.scdiet.org/2recipes/default.html

I am still learning as I go along. Vitamins are very essential for tics, and I think so are the probiotics. We found great success with the threelac http://www.ghtdiscountclub.com/threelac_main.aspx?ID=2527.

Caryn

Hi, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I just posted the other day about my ds starting to wink/blink one eye. He just started it about a month and a half ago and had a one week period where we didn't see it all. I am taking him to the dr on Thursday but I'm not sure I'm going to see much help from him, maybe just reassurance that this happens to kids and can sometimes clear up at puberty....it's the getting there that seems to stress me out. This is distressing to us, too. I guess I just wanted to post here to let you know that I know what you're going through and how you feel. So many questions, so little answers, and there's so many theories as to what may or may not help!

Right now I'm going to start ds on a good vitamin supplement and add in some probiotics and Omegas. Eventually I am going to wean him off of video games and do some trials with the screen time, etc. My ds does't crave any one food in particuar, either and he doesn't seem to have any compulsions or obsessions.

newtothis

Some times even if there no visual signs a person is +ve for strep. You will have to work one by one to rule out all the possible causes.

Strep test is there at every doctor's clinic now and will take 2 minutes to rule out since this was sudden onset with any prior history of tics. Second you will have to take off tv/computer for some time and observe along with some food elimination. I know as parent we want our kids to be perfect or need a cure instantly but on this i have learned to very patience and do one thing at a time . Only one thing i will say , is not to go on Tics meds due to serious side effects.

Newtothis,

- Craves sugary foods

It sounds like he could have a food intolerance issue. What does he eat a lot of? Our intolerant foods are the ones we generally crave. My son used to crave wheat products: mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, bread, cookies, crackers, noodles. He would eat these things and nothing else. He also had a lot of digestive issues (diarrhea, vomiting episodes, stomach pains that would wax and wane over those first few years). Our doc thought it was a milk allergy and so we took him off dairy from the time I weaned him until he was properly tested by Alcat and we found he had no milk allergy at all, but a wheat, corn, and gluten-intolerance issue.

I am currently reading at length about candida and have read and re-read Claire's thread about food elimination diets. You may want to look into the symptoms here and see if they fit your situation. http://candidapage.com/cccomp.shtml

We have found great success with a gluten-free candida cleanse diet. One type diet that is very popular is the SCD diet (Specific Carbohydrate diet.) We are not 'officially' using it exclusively, but I have been cooking up some of their free online recipe ideas. http://www.scdiet.org/2recipes/default.html

I am still learning as I go along. Vitamins are very essential for tics, and I think so are the probiotics. We found great success with the threelac http://www.ghtdiscountclub.com/threelac_main.aspx?ID=2527.

Caryn

Thank you for your reply. We have already beguin to change his diet. We have found sort of the right cocktail of supplements but how much is to much and how much is to little?

newtothis

Some times even if there no visual signs a person is +ve for strep. You will have to work one by one to rule out all the possible causes.

Strep test is there at every doctor's clinic now and will take 2 minutes to rule out since this was sudden onset with any prior history of tics. Second you will have to take off tv/computer for some time and observe along with some food elimination. I know as parent we want our kids to be perfect or need a cure instantly but on this i have learned to very patience and do one thing at a time . Only one thing i will say , is not to go on Tics meds due to serious side effects.

Thank you, I will work on getting a strep test from my doctor. Is it possible to have strep with out a fever?

Hi, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I just posted the other day about my ds starting to wink/blink one eye. He just started it about a month and a half ago and had a one week period where we didn't see it all. I am taking him to the dr on Thursday but I'm not sure I'm going to see much help from him, maybe just reassurance that this happens to kids and can sometimes clear up at puberty....it's the getting there that seems to stress me out. This is distressing to us, too. I guess I just wanted to post here to let you know that I know what you're going through and how you feel. So many questions, so little answers, and there's so many theories as to what may or may not help!

Right now I'm going to start ds on a good vitamin supplement and add in some probiotics and Omegas. Eventually I am going to wean him off of video games and do some trials with the screen time, etc. My ds does't crave any one food in particuar, either and he doesn't seem to have any compulsions or obsessions.

Thank you for your support, who knew so much of this was going on with so many children.

Hello, I am a parent of a 8yr old little boy, who, 9 days ago, we started to see his eyes roll from side to side while watching TV. He did not know it was going on nor did he seemed bothered by it. However it is scaring the heck out of us.

Here is a brief summary of whats going on.

- When he talks to us or reads - no eye movement.

- He has suddenly become obsessed with getting on the computer(we have limited that to 20min a day)

- Craves sugary foods

What we have done so far. He has seen an opthomologist - all good there. But, of course, the doctor didn't see his eyes roll side to side. Today we saw our pediatrician(not much help) he is sending us to a Pediatric Neurologist, I hope soon.

My question here is after combing the web 8 days, is this a complex tic?

I do have a video of the eye roll but not sure how to post it here. This is the first time I have run across a forum online and I am very happy for that. Please help with this if you can. Thank you very much.

Newtothis,

I totally understand how you feel. I've gone through this few years back when my then 3 yr old son started his eye blinking to all sort of body movements. I had a video of him and showed it to his neurologist. He was dx OCD tics at 4. I was devastated and researched obsessively online for alternative treatments. I took him to an integrative Dr. and started some vitamin tests. I stopped after few visits as the costs were getting too high for me to handle. Since then I started him with multivitamins with strong B complex, extra vitamin C, calcium/magnesium, and recently I added inosital, flaxseed and GABA. I try to keep his diet clean and stay away from preservatives, artificial stuffs, and limit his sugary food...it's hard with little kid but I do give him icecream and candies once in a while, just not everyday. Now at 6 his symtoms have not totally gone but fairly mild. It did get flare up when started 1st grade few months back, but seems more OCD issue than his tics. I added inosital, flaxseed and GABA, I see a big improvement in reducing his OCD symtoms. I've also noticed his immune system gets stronger over the years, he hardly get sick anymore. He use to be a super shy kid, now he's a talkative, outgoing happy boy.

My son use to have teeth grinding problem at night also, it has stopped after I give him calcium/magnesium right before he goes to bed.

Just letting you know that things will turn around. Wishing you the best of luck!

Ama