ACN Latitudes Forums

Specific Carbohydrate Diet in lieu of GF-CF or elimination, rotation d

Caryn

This is looks like a promising diet for gut issues causing neurological dysfunction. This diet is used for crohn's disease, colitis, Autism, spectrum disorders, and other debilitating illnesses with great success. They have recipe ideas, safe-food lists, etc .... It is worth looking at, I think, and may shed some more light on what is going on with some of our kids digestively.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/te...s/pam_ferro.htm

The diet is scientifically based and its main purpose is to 'kill candida' as far as I can tell. It is not specifically dairy free, they do include cheese and yogurts-- I believe the key is purity and presence of good microbial organisms. They omit sugars and starches, GF flours except nut-based flours.

Has anyone heard of this?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Caryn

Judy, Just curious if it was the IGG test that gave you the info. on what to eliminate and if elimination of these foods have helped with tics. If it was IGG was it the Alcat specifically. Thanks and I apologize if you have already posted this info. The diet looks good and I am going to buy the book to read. I have been looking for a specific diet plan.

I've heard of this diet. I do think it's a good one, but I would starve if I went on it. Many do still eliminate dairy while on this diet. I know that there are some SCD diet recipes that are dairy free somewhere on the internet. I need to write a paper right now for class, but if I get a chance in the next few days I'll see if I can find the website.

Carolyn

Judy, Just curious if it was the IGG test that gave you the info. on what to eliminate and if elimination of these foods have helped with tics. If it was IGG was it the Alcat specifically. Thanks and I apologize if you have already posted this info. The diet looks good and I am going to buy the book to read. I have been looking for a specific diet plan.

We did the IgG delayed food allergy testing (using http://www.optimumhealthresource.com/ )when my son developed a lot of GI problems despite having been on a gluten free diet for 3 years. He had elevated eosinophils in his blood and colon. Removing the foods he showed high reactions to helped with his nausea and explosive diarrhea. Unfortunately his vocal tics developed after he had been on a restrictive diet for almost one year. They seem almost gone at the moment (except for a deep "purring type" sound while he is relaxed and watching TV). He still has anxiety and OCD issues though.

I don't know if he may be reacting to other foods now. He has not had success adding back in any of the foods he has had reactions to. In his case there were so many foods he reacted to (gluten, dairy, egg, soy, legumes, nuts, citrus, pineapple) that keeping a food diary did not help. However, after getting the test results and looking back at the food diary we were able to see the cause and effect.

The lab we used had quite a long turn around time. I do not know if they have corrected this. There are a lot of labs out there that do delayed food allergy testing.

---Judy

This is looks like a promising diet for gut issues causing neurological dysfunction. This diet is used for crohn's disease, colitis, Autism, spectrum disorders, and other debilitating illnesses with great success. They have recipe ideas, safe-food lists, etc .... It is worth looking at, I think, and may shed some more light on what is going on with some of our kids digestively.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/te...s/pam_ferro.htm

The diet is scientifically based and its main purpose is to 'kill candida' as far as I can tell. It is not specifically dairy free, they do include cheese and yogurts-- I believe the key is purity and presence of good microbial organisms. They omit sugars and starches, GF flours except nut-based flours.

Has anyone heard of this?

I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Caryn

wow caryn! i have heard of this but forgot about it!! I believe it is focusing on yeast. How excellent that you bring this to our attention! Thank you, im going to read!

Here is a good informative article by Dr. Ron Hoggan, Ed.D.

Why is Gluten Excluded in Candida Diets?

Many of the Candida diets also suggest excluding gluten from the diet. What

isn't explained is why this particular protein is excluded and other

proteins are not. Usually sugars are the main foodstuffs to exclude. In this

article Ron Hoggan explains his theory of why gluten is a problem for people

suffering from yeast problems.

Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997

If we assume that yeast overgrowth occurs when "friendly" intestinal

bacteria are killed off by antibiotics, and the yeast, among other things,

interferes with adequate absorption, then they do have a point. After all,

some B vitamins require the bacterial action in the intestine, to be absorbed.

What disturbs me is that I doubt that these recurring candida infestations

could happen without gluten or lactose problems. Sure, antibiotics kill off

the "friendly" bacteria. But that should be a very temporary event, followed

by re-colonization of the gut, by bacterial cultures.

What stops that return of the bacteria? A condition where clubbed and

flattened villi cause decay of food in the intestine due to malabsorption.

In that case, the candida is provided with food so it can continue to

proliferate.

If gluten/casein is eliminated from the diet, the situation will soon

normalize, in most cases. Then a return to a normal diet, after the repair

of the intestine has taken place, will not result in immediate symptoms. In

fact, it may take months or years before sufficient intestinal damage

results, and the symptoms return. The conclusion drawn from this is that a

new return of the candida has taken place. Within limits, this is a correct

assessment. But it ignores the underlying problem.

The underlying problem is gluten-induced intestinal damage, but because the

Candida is easier to identify, the underlying pathology is missed.

If I'm right, then these people with recurring and chronic yeast infections

will be at much greater risk of developing stomach and intestinal

malignancies, especially lymphomas. If they are right, they get to eat a

food that is of questionable nutritional value, and has been identified as

causing a variety of other ills. It is a lop-sided equation, but I don't

know how to convince them that they are walking into the lion's den. It is

too bad!

Best Wishes,

Ron Hoggan Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I found an interesting website that compares symptoms of candida to gluten intolerance. There seems to be a lot of similarites with the two.

http://candidapage.com/cccomp.shtml

Food for thought!

Caryn