ACN Latitudes Forums

Saying Yeah! PANDAS OCD. Help!

mkindo

My daughter was diagnosed with PANDAS a year and half ago. She has had the seperation anxiety, decreased handwriting and TS . I did not think she had OCD with it but realized she has along had mild OCD as well. This latest onset of symptoms has her saying "yeah" about a hundreds times a day but I have to say "yeah" after she says it or she goes to pieces. She has also been checking things. Her phone and electronic game. She has to sleep with them and goes to pieces if she can't find that. I realize that is pretty common with OCD but the Repeating back what she says has our family really stressed as the siblings are really bothered by it. We are going to Singapore in a couple of weeks to get some allergy testing done and see a Neurologist. I had her on 250 mg of zithromax every 5 days. Now with this outbreak I thought maybe she got strept that was resistant to the Zithromax. I have had her on Amoxacillin for a few days and she is not getting better I think I'll switch her back to Zithromax? We are in Indonesia and self medicating. No prescriptions needed.

I hope to get help in Singapore.

Anybody heard of the repeating back as a symptom of OCD?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi

yes, having to reply a certain way and all the other things you describe are characteristic of OCD

do be careful switching back and forth on different antibiotics without doctor guidance!

also, are you giving a good probiotic either three hours before or three hours after the antibiotic. If not, you could be seeing an OCD outbreak because of Candida overgrowth(yeast infection in the gut)

Thanks so much for the reply. I don't know if I have a GOOD probiotic but I have acidophilus supplement. I have not been giving it to her. I just started a few days ago after reading about it on here. Could you suggest a better product that I could maybe buy in Singapore. I do have GNC stores here. Sometimes they don't have all the products. Is there something I can do to get rid of the yeast and then start giving the probiotics? I can get fluconazole here.

Thanks,

Kathy

I would absolutely start a good probiotic. You can get them online if you need to. Also, if you do believe that this increase in symptoms is caused by an exposure or possibility of strept you need to stop all of the antibiotics that you use daily and choose one that works differently. I would suggest Augmentin. You need to get a doctors advice on proper dosing per kg of body weight etc. It can be dangerous to use antibiotics without a doctors guidance. It sounds like your family is under alot of stress right now. I hope things improve for you. Sending hugs and prayers.

Dedee

Augmentin is stronger and broader than Pen V. It also has a tendency to give kids a tummy upset. My kids usually have very loose stools while on it. It needs to be given with meals or small amount of food to avoid a stomach ache. It was always very effective for my son (before his tonsils were removed) and Dr. Murphy thought about leaving him on it, but I was really sort of glad she didn't because he always does complain with his stomach when he takes it. However, I must say, it completely knocks out his strept and any associated neuropsychiatric symptoms he has. I like the idea of having it as a back up if we need it. We have also used Omnicef. It does work also, but my pediatrician says for her the chain of preference is Amoxicillan (which he takes daily), then Augmentin, then Zithromax, then Omnicef. They generally use the basic stuff first then move on to the stronger stuff after that. Of course, every doctor has their individual preferences, so it may vary per physician.

Dedee

Is Augmentin stronger? I found omniseph helped my son more then Augmentin. His remission didn't even last a week. He must have been exposed again. He is hyper, moody, cracking knuckles, urinating frequently, saying weird things, shouting sounds. I think I need to go back for a three week dose of Omniseph. There has to be something else that works better for this though. I just wish someone had an answer. Have any of you heard of methylprednisolone treatments working?

Dedee, So would Pen V and Amoxicillin be comparable then?

Is Augmentin stronger? I found omniseph helped my son more then Augmentin. His remission didn't even last a week. He must have been exposed again. He is hyper, moody, cracking knuckles, urinating frequently, saying weird things, shouting sounds. I think I need to go back for a three week dose of Omniseph. There has to be something else that works better for this though. I just wish someone had an answer. Have any of you heard of methylprednisolone treatments working?

Omniseph is strongest in all the you have mentioned. Pen V and Amox are starting one and then is Augmenton , Zithromax and Omniseph.

Augmentin is mix of two ( amox + clavualnate potassium ) . It all depends on person to person which works. My kid cannot tolrate Omnis and it does't work on him.

Because it taste so terrible and is so hard to get down we have been giving 1/8 tsp. full in a half a cup of water/cider every other day. It is a battle. I think it helps the urine problem though on the day after I give it. I probably should go to once a day. I have to set a timer and remind him it is too soon to go again.

Michele

Michele,

Just curious, where are you at with treatment with Nystatin? Have you finished, or still giving it?

Do you see no improvements with the omniseph? I think you said it gives him tummy trouble right? What works best for him?

Michele

Omniseph is strongest in all the you have mentioned. Pen V and Amox are starting one and then is Augmenton , Zithromax and Omniseph.

Augmentin is mix of two ( amox + clavualnate potassium ) . It all depends on person to person which works. My kid cannot tolrate Omnis and it does't work on him.

omniseph worked for him for his sinus infections 2 yrs back . We have never used for PANDAS. I have used zithromax for PANDAS and it has seemed to help. I had appoitment with a USC doc today who had done some research on PANDAS told Pen V and amox are best suited for strep infection as they wipe it out more quickly then others . But it depends on doctor to doctor and person to person what is best suited. And he also was not in favour of overuse of antibiotic for precaution. Best is one has to agressive against step and early detection and antibiotic are the key. So that body does't go in over drive to fight against strep. these antibodies attack some protein cells in basal ganglia which cause the release of excess Dopamine and it distrups the functioning of brain just like traffic jam resulting in confusion which is cause of tics /ocd in PANDAS kids.

Hi there, oh my gosh, I have so little time these days, but wanted to reply really quick re: probiotics. I apologize if someone has already posted about this, I only had a bit of time to skim over the reply's. My son is sooooo sensitive to probiotics. For whatever reason he has always reacted badly to most of them. Did the symptoms increase when you added the probiotic? A couple of months ago, my husband gave my son some probiotics for a few morning, thinking he was "helping" and typically he had an increase in some slight tics (he rarely tics now), but behaviorally it messes him up.

My advice for what it is worth, stick with the azithromycin, don't switch around right now. Quit the probiotics, can you get her to eat yogurt instead (this is what we do)? Try a 5 day course of azithromycin, my son is about 80 pounds and we would do, 500 mg, day 1 and then 250 mg, for 4 days and then back to once every 5 days.

Take care, Ronna