ACN Latitudes Forums

Questions about why OCD does what it does?

GeeN

Do most people with OCD obsess about things that do not occur in their own lives? Infidelity has not happened in my life or in the lives of those closest to me as far as I know. So it is a mystery that I have this. I know that what I read does not seem to matter in the scheme of things because I am not doing these things, but it has become an unwelcome part of my life for nearly a year now. Anyways, why does the OCD attach itself to certain areas that have nothing to do with my life and sometimes areas that have to do with my life like religion?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Of the messages you have posted, I thought it appropriate to respond to this particular one; for it is here that you are being analytical. In my opinion that is a good first step towards understanding why one thinks what one thinks.

OCD need not be some physical or emotional aspect that is happening in one's life. It is being too deeply attached to a train of thoughts that one may not be relating with. In your case, you seem to have latched on to the thought process of women sleeping around with whosoever she meets. And you find yourself musing on the different traits of such a character. This muse is quite natural in writers / authors - for it helps them build a well-rounded personality in their story. However, if you are stuck and do not move on, then it is deemed to be a disorder.

So why does the mind latch on to one single thought stream, and keeps it running over and over again? The complex entity that mind is, one interesting facet that man has observed is that when you try to suppress a thought, it tends to rebound back with vengeance, like a naughty child who you are trying to hush but who continues to repeat the same irritating act, if only to irritate you further.

So what is the solution to unlatching the mind? Researchers have discovered that instead of suppressing a thought when it occurs, you try and shift your thought in the opposite direction. So in your case, no sooner does this thought of an infidel woman cross your mind, you immediately visualize the image of a woman who is not infidel, who is virtuous and loyal to her husband. There is no suppression, but a shifting of the thought.

Another solution to strengthen the mind's resolve over the long term is meditation. If the forum's moderators permit, I would like to provide the URL of a post on my blog that talks of just this technique in the context of OCD:

http://success-nirvana.blogspot.com/2007/1...e-possible.html.

Can't say whether this could be the perfect solution; but no harm in trying. It would be great to know how you are progressing.

Cheers,

Sanjay.