ACN Latitudes Forums

Newcomer

NicksMom

My son is almost 18 yrs old and has had tics since he was 12. We have tried Bontech supplements and just recently started on magnesium, calcium, omega 3, and B complex. We had to discontinue the supplements because they started him on an antibiotic for acne. His vocal tic and acne both started really bad at the same time in August. Does anyone have any knowledge if this could be hormone based? Also, anyone have luck with habit reversal therapy? I am so desperate to help my son and am looking for any help or suggestions.

My son is almost 18 yrs old and has had tics since he was 12. We have tried Bontech supplements and just recently started on magnesium, calcium, omega 3, and B complex. We had to discontinue the supplements because they started him on an antibiotic for acne. His vocal tic and acne both started really bad at the same time in August. Does anyone have any knowledge if this could be hormone based? Also, anyone have luck with habit reversal therapy? I am so desperate to help my son and am looking for any help or suggestions.

Hi Nick's Mom,

Your at the right place for advice! I'm a newbie myself. My daughter is 13 and her tics started at 12. I hope it's just hormones. I never heard of Habit reversal therapy. Do you have Shelia

Roger's book, that's a good start.

Did your sons tic stop and come back? My daughter does not tic as much since I changed her diet. Shelia's book gives you information on how you go about trying to find out why your child is ticing.

Hi Nick's Mom and welcome smile.gif

hormones can cause both acne and increased tics, although usually by 18yo the intensity of the hormonal changes is down. I am not too sure why you had to discontinue supplements while on antibiotics? was there a specific contraindication?? If not I would definitely try to at least get the magnesium in along with a good pure multi vitamin/ multi mineral and the Omega 3 (remember too that some people seem to tic more with fish oil, although it is by far the best source of Omega 3. If you suspect sensitivity there, flaxseed oil is next best)

has your son ever been checked for Candida albicans overgrowth (gut yeast infection)?
My son has periodically had problems with candida and one of the first signs for him is acne and increased tics. We use Candida Clear by NOW Foods with great success and find the acne clears quickly with it too.

Antibiotic use can also promote candida infection if probiotics are not used to counter the flora depleting action of the anti-
I do know of people who have tried habit reversal for TS tics and have not been pleased with results, in some cases finding things to be worse than before.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is far more beneficial in helping with the co-morbid issues that often accompany TS eg OCD, depression, anxiety, rage etc, and my son also learned a lot of tic-substitution skills at CBT

Hope that may give some pointers, and that you will continue to read thru discussions here in hopes of maybe finding additional ideas on how to help your son.

Hi Nick's Mom,

Your at the right place for advice! I'm a newbie myself. My daughter is 13 and her tics started at 12. I hope it's just hormones. I never heard of Habit reversal therapy. Do you have Shelia

Roger's book, that's a good start.

Did your sons tic stop and come back? My daughter does not tic as much since I changed her diet. Shelia's book gives you information on how you go about trying to find out why your child is ticing.

I am not familiar with her book but am open to reading anything. He started with a head movement at the age of 12. It lasted a few months then went away. Nothing happened again for months then a vocal tic in the spring. His sophomore year nothing then since junior year it's been one tic after another. He currently has a vocal tic that drives me crazy. He is struggling in school and I have opted to homeschool him part of the day as sitting in class in hard. Habit reversal involves three steps: awareness training, competing response training, and social support.