ACN Latitudes Forums

Schools?

airbucket

Forgive me in advance if this is not an appropriate topic - I literally do not know where else to ask such a question. For our kids with their tics and impulse issues and other related issues, i am wondering how many of you send you kids to private school and more specifically, does anyone know how i find out where the very best schools (public or private) are in Florida? My son is being removed from his 2 nd grade today and will be transfered to another public school for kids with emotional and behavior problems. This is happeing, briefly, only because in the last 2 weeks my son suddenly and unexplainably is being randomly violent at school to teachers or peers. anyhow, i really dont know how to go about finding out about the best schools (i know some really good ones are out there) for kids with emotional/behavioral etc problems that would incorporate some inclusion and typical things? I am in Florida and we are ready and willing ot move anywhere in the state for my son. Thank you everyone, this board is a literal life saver!

What are your thoughts on homeschooling for awhile? I used to be a teacher, and just my 2 cents, but if you are putting him with other children with emotional problems, would they feed off of each other and pick up other behaviors? I am sure there are many good schools out there though and if home schooling is not an option, you should be able to find a great one!!

What are your thoughts on homeschooling for awhile? I used to be a teacher, and just my 2 cents, but if you are putting him with other children with emotional problems, would they feed off of each other and pick up other behaviors? I am sure there are many good schools out there though and if home schooling is not an option, you should be able to find a great one!!

Yes i have thought of homeschooling but my sons yearns so much to have friends and he is easily bored and needs lots of activities and mental stimulation. The reason i am asking how i find a good private school is because i do not want him in the classroom with other kids who all have behavior problems, but i do not want to remove him from school because in order for us in Florida to receive a scholarship for private school, he must currently be enrolled in public school. Thank you bmom!

Hi Airbucket,

I homeschool my son and he does just fine with making friends. We are lucky to have a large number of kids in our neighborhood.I also let him go to the movies,skating,ect... on the weekends. It really does keep him in the socail setting. Also here in Florida your child may also still do electives at the local school. I have found a wonderful homeschool site www.time4learning.com

Go and check it out and see what you think. I home school for 3 hours a day in sessions of 45min and a 15 min break.

Hi Airbucket,

I homeschool my son and he does just fine with making friends. We are lucky to have a large number of kids in our neighborhood.I also let him go to the movies,skating,ect... on the weekends. It really does keep him in the socail setting. Also here in Florida your child may also still do electives at the local school. I have found a wonderful homeschool site www.time4learning.com

Go and check it out and see what you think. I home school for 3 hours a day in sessions of 45min and a 15 min break.

I homeschooled my son for 2 1/2 yrs until I found the perfect private school. There are many hs groups and lots of social activities during the school day. The biggest problem is findng time for academics, LOL. Also lots of hs sites for teaching materials and help with hs issues. HSing also gave us the time to try a special diet, get more sleep, and figure out triggers. Most schools are full of screens, flourescents, and cleaning chemicals, not to mention cupcakes-all big triggers for my son.

Knowing that hs is a viable option has also allowed me to be pickier in my son's school placement.

Laurie

I forgot to mention.If your son gets a grant for private school why don't you request a list for all counties that you are willing to move to. The school board has a list of all participating schools and then you could research from there. Is he on the John Mckay scholorship?

Hi Airbucket,

I really feel for you and worry that I may in the same boat one of these days. My son is currently doing well in a private church-based K program but is scheduled to attend public K (summer b'day so I want him to repeat) next fall. We are in GA, so I don't have any advice regarding FL, but I do want to pass along a resource that may be of some help. I haven't called them yet (on my long list of things to try, but we are still in the biomedical testing stages), however, they have been recommended to me by several people. The website is http://www.parkaireconsultants.com/ Apparently, Sheryl Pruitt is an expert with TS and other behavioral and mood disorders. She has written several books that have received really good reviews: "Taming the Tiger" and "Teaching the Tiger" (this is a resource for teachers of TS students). I have not read either so I can't recommend them, but I do plan to read them eventually. I was told that they will observe the child and recommend the best learning environment for him/her. I know you are in FL, but it wouldn't hurt to contact them to see if they have some recommendations in your area.

I worry about my son in a large public school next year and especially in the coming years when I expect his tics and mood swings to be worse. I plan on contacting Parkaire sometime in the coming months to get a recommendation for next year. I hope you're able to find the perfect school for your son. I'm sorry you are going through this right now. I'm sure it must be very stressful.

Best wishes,

tlk

We've homeschooled our son for the last 2 years. He would continuously get in trouble on the bus and at school. Even with talking to the teachers and principle about his situation, they couldn't seem to "get it!" Tattling was a big issue in his classes and he would become frustrated and angry with too much structure in school. Now he does his work on the computer, 4 subjects, but is able to get up in-between and jump around, or whatever he does, to get all the wigglies out! When this started he was extremely short tempered, and got frustrated easily. He is so much more easy going now and will actually listen to us. We got him tested via blood test for allergies, and eliminated the foods he was intolerant to. We also found he had a thyroid problem and he got on medication. He gets up pretty much every day in a positive frame of mind. We've just learned to deal with him differently! He can only handle one instruction at a time. We can't say, pick up your shirt off the floor, then go brush your teeth, and take the garbage out. No way! Also, if he's trying to explain his feelings and we interrupt him, he hits the roof, and loses it! He loves to play computer games, so if he does two subjects, he can play for 30 minutes as a reward! Homeschooling works for us because you can be so laid back about it. Anyway, sorry so long, but as far as the interaction with other kids, we are members of a homeschool group, and have park days, discounted taekwondo classes, holiday parties, mothers-night-out, etc. Hope things get better!