ACN Latitudes Forums

Adderall - ADD vs. Bipolar Disorder (Hypomania)

Xiolah

Hi -

Well - I'm a case of going to two different doctors and hearing different things. My psychologist has diagnosed me with bipolar disorder (with hypomania), and my family doctor said ADD and gave me Adderall.

I do think the psychologist is right with the bipolar and "hypomania" when I look back over my history, it makes a lot of sense. I fit enough symptoms so convincingly that even I have to admit I think he may have a point. What is confusing, is that the Adderall I began taking at the same time for the ADD is HELPING with the hypomania... not exaggerating it.

For whatever reason, when I take Adderall I feel calmer, more focused, more reasonable, fewer racing thoughts, no "grandiose" thinking, and I focus better on my children as well. I enjoy things more - no constant "to do" list, I can slow down and be with my family. My husband backs me up that all the symptoms I had with the hypomania seem to go away since the Adderall.

Has anyone else had this experience? All I can find on the internet are people who say Adderall made their bipolar infinitely worse and unmanageable and advise stopping the medication. My doctors seem to feel "let's not fix what isn't broken".

I have experienced SOME side effects - dry mouth, loss of appetite... but Adderall does not seem to affect me like it does other people even in the more common ways - like I have no trouble sleeping, even if I take the dosage in the late afternoon.

Can anyone share a similar story about Adderall or am I pretty much a freak of science? I seem to have stumbled into something very improbable, and am worried.

Thanks.

Michele

Hi -

Well - I'm a case of going to two different doctors and hearing different things. My psychologist has diagnosed me with bipolar disorder (with hypomania), and my family doctor said ADD and gave me Adderall.

I do think the psychologist is right with the bipolar and "hypomania" when I look back over my history, it makes a lot of sense. I fit enough symptoms so convincingly that even I have to admit I think he may have a point. What is confusing, is that the Adderall I began taking at the same time for the ADD is HELPING with the hypomania... not exaggerating it.

For whatever reason, when I take Adderall I feel calmer, more focused, more reasonable, fewer racing thoughts, no "grandiose" thinking, and I focus better on my children as well. I enjoy things more - no constant "to do" list, I can slow down and be with my family. My husband backs me up that all the symptoms I had with the hypomania seem to go away since the Adderall.

Has anyone else had this experience? All I can find on the internet are people who say Adderall made their bipolar infinitely worse and unmanageable and advise stopping the medication. My doctors seem to feel "let's not fix what isn't broken".

I have experienced SOME side effects - dry mouth, loss of appetite... but Adderall does not seem to affect me like it does other people even in the more common ways - like I have no trouble sleeping, even if I take the dosage in the late afternoon.

Can anyone share a similar story about Adderall or am I pretty much a freak of science? I seem to have stumbled into something very improbable, and am worried.

Thanks.

I am a 37 yr old mom of 4 who started taking adderall about 2-3 yrs ago. Initially I began due to anxiety, and I am a bit classic ADHD (never finishing anything, lists everywhere, tons of energy, can't sit still...) I was never diagnosed nor was it a major problem, but when my son begain having mood problems, anger... it put me over the top.

Right away the addrall calmed me down, gave me focus... just the things you noted. I loved it and felt in control, calm and was able to deal better with my son's issues.

I stopped taking it when I had another pregnancy and I am currently back on it. However, I was taking 15 mg/day but many times it seemed to cause anxiety. While it was calming and lifted spirits, the anxiety was not good. I added certain aminos, like Ltheanine and GABA but am currently trying to wean down on the adderall. I did lose weight and appetite, but not major.

Currently, I want to get off the adderall, due to the anxiety side effects and negatives of being on the drug (high addiction rates).

We took my son to Pheiffer last year and they found he has undermythelation among other issues. 6 months into treatment, he is doing great. he was previously diagnosed with bipolar, they were dead wrong.

anyway, after observing my son recover and heal, and realizing undermythelation is genetic, I question if I have high histamone as well.

So i added a product from Metagenics called Lumina . I am taking Lumina (supports dopamine activity for ADHD) and at the same time weaning off of the adderall. I am down to 5 mg/day of Adderall. I feel great and better then when on 10-15 mg of adderall.

I am calm, focused and feel more relaxed. i also take 5HTP (most adhd and anxiety is low seratonin). I just bumped my bedtime dose up to 150 mg of 5HTP and feel wonderful. ( I have 4 kids under 10 and a husband who works 80/hrs week, so stress level gets high). I feel much better now then when I took more adderall.

my point is, get tested by Pheiffer, looking at histamine, metals...also allergies play a huge role. For every drug, there is a safer alternative in the form of aminos. It is healthier and more effective. It may cost more, but is better healthwise in the long run.

Do I think you are a freak of nature? Absolutly not. I felt your same affects, but it waxed and waned a bit with the adderall. On the supplements, I am way more smooth , in control and do not get dry mouth and nasty headache addrall can sometimes give.

I totally believe in the Pheiffer testing and protocol. our son is living proof and it is a m iracle!!

Good luck,

Michele

• 2 years later...

Hi -

Thanks.

I know exaclty what you are talking about! Was Dx'd with Bipolar 10 years ago, then told last yr from another Dr. that I wasn't Bipolar but ADHD. Been pretty Manic all my life, not bad, just really up. No really bad depressions either. 3 weeks into Surgical Tech school, was told by son's Dr. that I should try Adderall. (both daughter and son have ADHD) So I started it. WOW I couldn't believe how much focus I had, how much I had slowed down. It was like going from 1,000 MPH to about 45 MPH.

After 2 months on it, one day got very confused, couldn't really understand thing around me. This lasted about a week. BP was 157/118, which is considered hypertension. I also have Factor V Leiden (blood clotting problem) I clot to much, and I take asperin for that. Had MRI of brain, 1 week later showed no stroke. Mind was getting back to normal. Still don't know what caused this?

Dr. said that Adderall does NOT give you high BP, Neurologist said it DOES, and to quit taking it, because, I have Factor V Leiden (genetic) a high BP from adderall, and smoke, all risks of getting a stroke.

So who do I believe? Do I go off the adderall, and start going 1,000 MPG or do I stay on adderall and risk getting a stroke?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx

Wendy

• 3 years later...

Adderall has helped my thoughts slow down, focus, motivation, anxiety, and more. I was also diagnosed with bipolar because I would get sudden rage and flip out for no reason. Which now I know is my pans.

Anyone ever have luck with vyvanse