ACN Latitudes Forums

Tics and Celiac Disease (wheat allergy/intolerance)

Caryn

Okay,

I have been doing quite a bit of research on celiac disease at the moment. I have noticed that my son's tics are very tightly (but not solely) related to gluten and corn in the diet. He did not officially test celiac but did test intolerant to wheat and corn and has several symptoms of pediatric celiac's disease. In my research I stumbled on info about how celiac disease can cause neurological dysfunction (cannot find info on corn yet, but I am interested). Research is not expansive on celiac and neurological disorders, but there are a few studies looking at this topic. I just want to throw this in the pot, especially after all our conversations on vaccines. It is my theory that the vaccines are the catalyst that create the right environment for early onset of celiac's disease. (For those that don't know, celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that attacks the small intestine with self-created anti-bodies thus resulting in catastrophic vitamin/mineral deficiencies in infants and children). I have learned that celiac's disease is becoming more common and some can loosely tie it to learning disabilities, ADHD symptoms, tic disorders, shortened stature, and failure to thrive, etc.... Anemia that is not corrected with iron supps, etc....

I want to write an article about it on my blog, as I really think it is necessary to curb wheat consumption in infants (something the baby food industry doesn't seem to be diligent about as wheat is so cheap. With the inundation of processed foods in our diet, it is present in nearly all foods, too). I just want to get the word out. I'm looking for feedback from you to help me consider the viability of the information I'm uncovering (you know, some studies only have 12 subjects, etc....) And the studies I've found so far are not based on tic disorders solely, either.

Thanks to anyone with info.

Caryn

I don't know that the GF/CF diet helps my sons compulsive habits like the finger cracking but it does calm him and he is less emotional. Our DAN Dr. explained he might not test positive to allergies to wheat/dairy but overtime it can become toxic to the body. He said the gluten produces too many endorphins to the brain and it helps the immune system to avoid wheat and dairy. He also told me to avoid seafood too. He said pleats under the eyes show he is allergic. We also have many of the symtoms of the Celiac disease. Small size, tics, ADHD, short attention, autoimmune disease. If there is some help from the diet I am willing to stick to it. Did you see Good Morning America today? They talked about the pros of the GF/CF diet. They gave credit to it helping more disorders then Autism.

Michele

Okay,

I have been doing quite a bit of research on celiac disease at the moment. I have noticed that my son's tics are very tightly (but not solely) related to gluten and corn in the diet. He did not officially test celiac but did test intolerant to wheat and corn and has several symptoms of pediatric celiac's disease. In my research I stumbled on info about how celiac disease can cause neurological dysfunction (cannot find info on corn yet, but I am interested). Research is not expansive on celiac and neurological disorders, but there are a few studies looking at this topic. I just want to throw this in the pot, especially after all our conversations on vaccines. It is my theory that the vaccines are the catalyst that create the right environment for early onset of celiac's disease. (For those that don't know, celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that attacks the small intestine with self-created anti-bodies thus resulting in catastrophic vitamin/mineral deficiencies in infants and children). I have learned that celiac's disease is becoming more common and some can loosely tie it to learning disabilities, ADHD symptoms, tic disorders, shortened stature, and failure to thrive, etc.... Anemia that is not corrected with iron supps, etc....

I want to write an article about it on my blog, as I really think it is necessary to curb wheat consumption in infants (something the baby food industry doesn't seem to be diligent about as wheat is so cheap. With the inundation of processed foods in our diet, it is present in nearly all foods, too). I just want to get the word out. I'm looking for feedback from you to help me consider the viability of the information I'm uncovering (you know, some studies only have 12 subjects, etc....) And the studies I've found so far are not based on tic disorders solely, either.

Thanks to anyone with info.

Caryn

Caryn,

If you go to The Gluten File http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com/ and scroll down on the left you will find an entire section on neurological manifestations. My son has been on a very strict gluten free diet for almost 5 years now and he has been dairy, soy, egg, nut, legume and citrus free for almost 1.5 years. His vocal tics had been sporadic until last spring when they increased in intensity (and some OCD behaviors and anxiety started). I am also looking into other dietary triggers but have not determined what they are for my son. I know he becomes very angry and emotionally unstable if he has a very small amount of gluten so there is a chance his tics would also increase with more gluten. However we are not going to test that. He has not been diagnosed with celiac but is definitely gluten intolerant.

You might want to check out http://www.glutenfreeandbeyond.org/forum/ They have a subforum on neurological manifestations and a lot of research oriented people hang out there. Also many of the regular posters have food intolerances in addition to gluten so you might get some information about corn and other foods (dairy in particular).

--Judy

My son has TS and we recently heard about the possible links with gluten. I am gluten intolerant, so it might make sense that my son would be also. We experimented with GF diets for him and my daughter and they both seem to benefit. They stay a lot calmer, happier and more focused and my son's tics definitely seem better controlled. If we re-introduce wheat, we see the opposite. I worry, however, that a complete GF diet might make them even more sensitive to the smallest exposure to gluten.

my 2 cents on this -

my son is 8. he has been tested for celiac/gluten intolerance 2x and both time the gastro said the results were inconclusive, whatever that means? she said he showed some evidence but not all evidence. my son had has tics for a few years now along with plenty other problems. I am very concerned about the gluten factor as he may be allergic. my goal is to try gluten free diet and see what happens. I also need to get those celiac results interpreted better. my son often has stomach pain and reflux and has wierd red splotches behind his ears and sometimes on his face. Hope that helps.

I have been following this thread since it came around at the right time. About a month ago my son had A/sert testing done. In previous posts I mentioned it is much like NAET. Anyway he concluded that my ds has problems/is allergic to wheat/gluten. Since then I have stopped packing my son sandwiches for lunch and tried to lay off on all other forms of wheat/gluten. Already being corn free though, I decided to just cut back on this as opposed to completely eliminating it. My sons behavior has improved as far as his emotional outbursts. I also rarely see him ticcing now, but I don't necessarily think that is why. HTH!

our son's tics are doing pretty good right now. We have started Bonnies Vits and he has had two NAET treatments. My mom is extreme Celiac.

The NEAT Dr is starting on egg whites first, which we know he is alergic to. We will have to wait on the rest

our son's tics are doing pretty good right now. We have started Bonnies Vits and he has had two NAET treatments. My mom is extreme Celiac.

The NEAT Dr is starting on egg whites first, which we know he is alergic to. We will have to wait on the rest

Lenny,

did you find out thru the NAET what he came up sensitive to? (can't remember if you posted that) And also, any reactions to the Bonnie vits, or so far so good? Please let us know what effects you feel are from NAET treatments.

Thanks

Faith

I'm allergic to wheat, and I do notice a difference in tics when I stay away from my allergy foods than when I eat them. I had skin testing done this week to recheck my allergies and wheat went from a 3(moderate) to an 8(severe/chronic) for me in the last year.

Carolyn

Lenny,

did you find out thru the NAET what he came up sensitive to? (can't remember if you posted that) And also, any reactions to the Bonnie vits, or so far so good? Please let us know what effects you feel are from NAET treatments.

Thanks

Faith

We had a heads up from an IgG test done ealier this summer. I did give the NAET Dr the test results, but her testing did show eggs as a problem. She did the egg whites this week ($78.00 just for that) and now we have to do a second treatment for yolks. I probably should have not given her his results prior to the testing, mainly because I am still skeptical, but I was trying to get her to treat his main alergies instead of starting from scratch. After she did his egg whites his eyes got very dark circles below them the following day. They are better today, so I am hoping that was a good sign. I am not sure how far I will take this NAET, it is so weird that I do question the procedure. I plan on spending about $1000.00 on it and then see. With the initial treatment/visit and one actual egg white procedure, we are already at $230!

As far as Bonnie vits, so far so good. He has no body or voice tics at all, just a few eye blinking now and then.

Lenny

Lenny,

My son did show egg sensitivity with our NAET dr., and was treated egg once instead of breaking it down. Our office visit is $95. Luckily our insurance picks up some of it. We coded under allergies for insurance purpose.

I am glad to hear that your child is doing well. May i ask why you started him on Bonnie's vit, i thought he was doing well.

Pat