ACN Latitudes Forums

Back from the Allergist

Mike

We got back from the allergist today and he is pretty open minded about treatments. Our 11 yr old came back negative on all the tests, but the Dr. said that doesn't mean certain things do not trigger the immune system. He said the immune system can be set off into overdrive and thought this might be the case. Before we mentioned PANDAS he asked if there was a certain event we can think of that started his symptoms. We asked him if he ever had heard of PANDAS and he said he heard about it just that very morning for the first time from another patients mother. He wanted to do one session of Prednisone which he said would call off the immune system in case it was overreacting. It is a steroid, but he said one round it totally safe. I think he wants to see if it makes a difference.

When we told him about possible yeast issue in the gut he said there are many Dr's who differ in opinion about what yeast can do to you. He said he would let us try Nystatin if it looks like he has a yeast problem. He said probiotics are also a good thing to keep up. He even seemed open to trying low dosages of anti-biotics if all else failed.

Since strep has been a problem he also thought we should see a Dr. about possibly removing tonsils. He said after someone 6-7 yrs old they don't really help anyone anyway. I think my wife is all for that since she had hers taken out in her 20's and would have rather done it earlier.

Are you going to do the prednisone? If so - please report back on how he does.

Yes, we will try it. It's only for 9 days. 3 pills for 3 days, then 2 pills for 3 days, then 1 pill for the last 3 days. He said it could make him moody and trigger anxiety at first. So we are expecting a flare up of some kind.

Mike, Could you tell us what kind of allergy testing you did? Our doctor said since it was PANDAS, allergies probably did not play a part, so I haven't gone in that direction. BTW, our doctor did say that not having tonsils dramatically reduces your chance of getting strep. I am still confused, however, because recently -- while on antibiotics -- my child exhibited more tics when around a child with strep! Our doctor was even confused by that one.

Mike, Could you tell us what kind of allergy testing you did? Our doctor said since it was PANDAS, allergies probably did not play a part, so I haven't gone in that direction. BTW, our doctor did say that not having tonsils dramatically reduces your chance of getting strep. I am still confused, however, because recently -- while on antibiotics -- my child exhibited more tics when around a child with strep! Our doctor was even confused by that one.

Our allergist thought that tonsils could harbor strep in some and could hut more than help. He said that they really aren't needed in older kids. I know many Dr's say different things, but I am just relaying what he told us. He referred us to a ETN doctor to discuss further. I assume he would know more on the subject.

They did the skin tests on our sons back. He didn't react to any of them, but that doesn't mean certain things don't trigger the immune system. I am not surprised he was found negative on all the tests.

GF/CF to be safe. It can't hurt. I agree certain amounts can trigger the immune system.

About the tonsils the ENT Dr. will want them out. However Dr. Murphy warned not to remove them. She sad they are a protective barrier. One of her patients/in her study had them out thought they were cured dropped out and then wanted back in in a few months l aterwhen a relapse occured. She and my ped are very against removal. My oldest daughter had chronic strep every month or two. Finally after missing too much school I had them out. She has been strep free since. Now she did not have PANDAS so I don't know how that comes into play with strep. Keep me informed. All the best.

Michele

Are you going to do the prednisone? If so - please report back on how he does.

Yes, we will try it. It's only for 9 days. 3 pills for 3 days, then 2 pills for 3 days, then 1 pill for the last 3 days. He said it could make him moody and trigger anxiety at first. So we are expecting a flare up of some kind.