ACN Latitudes Forums

Magnesium Glycinate vs Magnesium Taurate vs Magnesium Citrate

Caryn

Ladies,

I am wondering which type of magnesium is best for tics? We are currently using glycinate. I noticed a low level of ticcing over the last month (very light blinking and nose twitching from time to time--not necessarily constant but often enough to be a bother). Today I experimented by giving ds a tsp of Kid's Calm with the vits and low and behold the tics stopped completely after that. Hm. Is this a coincidence or is there a reason for this that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for the input.

Caryn

hi Caryn

magnesium taurate seems to be what is most recommended, mainly becasue of the combination of magnesium and taurine, both of which seem to be advantage in reducing Tourette tics, plus that this form of magnesium is well absorbed

the essence here for tics in general is absorbable magnesium (which btw magnesium oxide is poorest absorption yet seems to be the form used in most supps <_< )

I think one of the reasons the "Calm: products work so well is that it provides a highly absorbable form (magnesium citrate) in a liquid medium, so making it quickly available

also the reason the epsom salts tubs work so well is the dermal absorption of the magnesium sulfate

I thought about buying that Mag Calm powder yesterday. I've never tried Kid's Calm. My son loves the lime Mag Citrate liquid with water and ice. He thinks he is drinking soda pop. It is cheap too.

Michele

Ladies,

I am wondering which type of magnesium is best for tics? We are currently using glycinate. I noticed a low level of ticcing over the last month (very light blinking and nose twitching from time to time--not necessarily constant but often enough to be a bother). Today I experimented by giving ds a tsp of Kid's Calm with the vits and low and behold the tics stopped completely after that. Hm. Is this a coincidence or is there a reason for this that I'm not aware of?

Thanks for the input.

Caryn

I was told to get Magnesium Citrate---found it at Native Sun healthstore---it's made by Bluebonnet and it's liquid and flavored---she takes it fine. she HATES the coromega (omega 3's) but she has to take it

Thanks everyone. I have kids calm, but Amy, I will look into a liquid version for the future. I like to mix his vitamins in either yogurt, juice, or apple sauce as he is still too young to swallow the big capsules. His corn allergy is a problem with too much ascorbic acid so I have to watch how much I give him. Does the liquid have ascorbic acid in it?

Caryn

I found the Magnesium Citrate Liquid in a lime flavor at the drug store. My son really liked the taste mixed with water and ice. It makes like a soda. It is cheap there too.

Michele

Thanks everyone. I have kids calm, but Amy, I will look into a liquid version for the future. I like to mix his vitamins in either yogurt, juice, or apple sauce as he is still too young to swallow the big capsules. His corn allergy is a problem with too much ascorbic acid so I have to watch how much I give him. Does the liquid have ascorbic acid in it?

Caryn

Hi Caryn...i just checked the bottle and one of the last ingredients is absorbic acid. this product is yeast and gluten free as well as no sodium and barley. It's a strawberry flavor (there are other flavors, orange, blueberry, etc) and my daughter takes a tablespoon by itself, no need to mix it. she just drinks water after and chews vitamins. the coromega (omega 3's) she doesn't like so i mix that in applesauce or something like that each time i give it to her. She definitely doesn't like taking any of it BUT i got the magnesium and fish oil capsules for myself and i take them at the same time she is taking them. it's not ever easy and she she is grouchy sometimes about taking the supplements, but what can you do---you have to do it!

Thanks Amy.

We did coromega awhile too, but it has corn in it so we had to give it up. You could try nordic naturals. They have soft chewables that are fruit flavored. My boys love them and call them candy. LOL.

Caryn

Oh yes!

and a host of other bad stuff.

it has sodium benzoate-- the hyperactivity preservative

and

ascorbic acid is made from corn

so is xanthan gum (but that doesn't seem to bother our guy.)

I was using it regularly until another latitudes mom pointed it out.

Caryn

http://www.kirkmanlabs.com/products/fatty_..._S_Spec812.html