ACN Latitudes Forums

Have to post this

kim

Need input

Do you all think this would be ok?

I thought keeping it breif would be best, and also easiest for others to add to, in their own post.

My two son's, ages 10 and 14 have a tic disorder. They were fully immunized as infants.

Believe me, I have never been tempted to say “it's just tics.”

Thank you Mr. Kirby for providing information that parents struggling to help their children get well, can understand and bringing this issue to the fore. Tic disorders and their co morbid conditions, are an area that desperately need further research.

There are many who are eager for answers surrounding this matter.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kim,

I tried to find David's direct email, both at the Huffington Post and at the NYT, where he also writes. No such luck.

Someone commented on Oprah. Was David ever on Oprah? I wish he would champion the tic cause a bit more, which is why I tried to make direct contact.

Thanks a million for posting these articles Kim!! Wonderful article, something all with kids with tics from that era should bring to their next doctor visit.

Interesting experience for me last week. I was at a doctor's office (not my normal doctor) that asked about my latest tetanus update and I said I was due but wouldn't do it cuz of the mercury risk. She proceeded to tell me that thimerisol had been out of all vaccines since 2003/2004, I forget which. I said that simply wasn't true. I knew for a fact it was in some flu vaccines.

Lo and behold, instead of walking away labeling me as a hypochrondriac nut case, she printed out information on a ton of vaccines and came back and said, so some do, some don't. She then showed me 2 types of tetanus vaccines and said that oddly, one had it one didn't and would I want the one that did not have it. I of course agreed. She said to make sure the nurse double checked the one used to make sure that it didn't have it.

I know that the issues with vaccines go beyond thimerisol. But since I have an "X-game" son, I would like him to be up to date on tetanus, which I can now do in a year or so when he is due again.

Thanks for the post. 2.44x. We KNEW that there was a link for many. The regulars know me, but the newcomers may not know that I attribute the fundamental cause of my son's tics years ago to his toxic mercury levels -which causes a cascade of immune issues - and their subsequent cure to the removal of the mercury, in his case through gradual anti-oxidant supplementation for his antioxidant deficiencies. I believe his photosensitivity (to computers and flicker) was a direct impact of the mercury levels. In fact, light sensitivity is a known symptom of toxic mercury levels.

I still love the spectracell.com FIA 5000 test for antioxidant levels, and the Great Plains OAT urine test for glutathione levels. According to my DAN doctor, low antioxidant levels can be a big indicator that your child's body did not have the means to pass the mercury out of his or her system.

Claire

Just curious-something I have wondered about. Would anyone here suggest an ultra red light(I think this is what it is called) sonic sauna for metal removing? My friend whose son is autistic has one for him and the lab that did my sons hair analysis recommended this as well. Seems to be non intrusive-possibly relaxing. Anyone have info regarding?

Kim,

I tried to find David's direct email, both at the Huffington Post and at the NYT, where he also writes. No such luck.

Someone commented on Oprah. Was David ever on Oprah? I wish he would champion the tic cause a bit more, which is why I tried to make direct contact.

Thanks a million for posting these articles Kim!! Wonderful article, something all with kids with tics from that era should bring to their next doctor visit.

Interesting experience for me last week. I was at a doctor's office (not my normal doctor) that asked about my latest tetanus update and I said I was due but wouldn't do it cuz of the mercury risk. She proceeded to tell me that thimerisol had been out of all vaccines since 2003/2004, I forget which. I said that simply wasn't true. I knew for a fact it was in some flu vaccines.

Lo and behold, instead of walking away labeling me as a hypochrondriac nut case, she printed out information on a ton of vaccines and came back and said, so some do, some don't. She then showed me 2 types of tetanus vaccines and said that oddly, one had it one didn't and would I want the one that did not have it. I of course agreed. She said to make sure the nurse double checked the one used to make sure that it didn't have it.

I know that the issues with vaccines go beyond thimerisol. But since I have an "X-game" son, I would like him to be up to date on tetanus, which I can now do in a year or so when he is due again.

Thanks for the post. 2.44x. We KNEW that there was a link for many. The regulars know me, but the newcomers may not know that I attribute the fundamental cause of my son's tics years ago to his toxic mercury levels -which causes a cascade of immune issues - and their subsequent cure to the removal of the mercury, in his case through gradual anti-oxidant supplementation for his antioxidant deficiencies. I believe his photosensitivity (to computers and flicker) was a direct impact of the mercury levels. In fact, light sensitivity is a known symptom of toxic mercury levels.

I still love the spectracell.com FIA 5000 test for antioxidant levels, and the Great Plains OAT urine test for glutathione levels. According to my DAN doctor, low antioxidant levels can be a big indicator that your child's body did not have the means to pass the mercury out of his or her system.

Claire

Claire,

I think the reference to Ophra, was about Jenny McCarthy's recent appearance. She has been able to do what no one else has been allowed that I know of, which is to discuss immunizations in relationship to Autism. I WISH David Kirby would appear on a few of these shows (Ophra, the View, Larry King).

something all with kids with tics from that era should bring to their next doctor visit.

If I can ever bring myself to walk back into a reg. Dr.s office, that's a great idea. I just get a knot thinking about it. Btwn what I have been through with the boys, and having concerns that were blown off, and having to endure those patient smiles from one Dr., and down right shouting match with another, it's almost more than I can take. We have been using a walk in "ready med" type place for last strep diagnosis, and staph infection for oldest. He's had 3 of those now. I'm a little concerned about that. Ever since I had a dermatologist. remove that darn mole, which probably didn't need to be removed at all.

Anyway, its great to hear from you as always. If you come up with a direct email for David Kirby, please post.

Great News Everybody!!!!!!!!

I was able to get David Kirby's direct e-mail address from some local friends that have kids with Autism! Kim are you the one that's going to send him a message? I thought that I could send David Kirby's direct e-mail address through a PM to you as I wouldn't want my email address being displayed for everyone on internet. If others are planning on sending David Kirby a message just let me know, and I'll get that direct information to you.

Carolyn

Carolyn.

Thank you so much.

I'm still doing a some facts gathering.

Claire's post about the remark that nurse made at the Dr. appt, got me thinking about exactly when you could be reasonably sure that your child didn't receive a thimerosal containing vax. I found this. Thought it might be of interest to others

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:y4LKe...cd=13&gl=us

Vaccines containing thimerosal used for recommended routine infant immunizations began to

transition to mercury-free formulations in the US beginning in September 1999, when Merck

released a non-thimerosal Hepatitis B vaccine. The transition to provider use of thimerosal-free

infant formulations for Hepatitis B, DTaP, and Haemophilus influenzae type B vaccines was not

complete until late 2001/early 2002. Manufacturers had completed the transition by mid 2001,

but thimerosal formulations continued to move through the supply chain until administered to

infants, as the FDA never issued a recall. Vaccine shelf life can be over 2 ½ years.

Several vaccines regularly administered to infants, children, and pregnant women still contain

thimerosal. These vaccines are highlighted in red type

Also, as I was totaling the amt. of thimerosal my boys received (during their first 7 mos, which is what the study was looking at), by looking at their vax records for the millionth time, I realized that I had NOT included the link for the actual abstract that was recently published. Guess I will add it here(I'm a ditz ^_^ )

This is the abstract for the recent study that started this whole topic

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/357/13/1281

I am fairly certain at this point that my oldest son received 150 mcg/ug and youngest 112.5 during the period of 0 to 7 mos of age. However, even though youngest would have been gotten less, he was younger and smaller for exposure with 2 shots.

I am trying to find at eactly what exposure, the increase in incidence of tics was associated with. If anyone has the full article (paid subscription to NEJM) or has any info regarding this, I sure would love to know. I don't see it, in the abstract.

Claire,

I'm interested in know what Tetanus shot is free of thimerosal. When I asked my doctor if there was a thimerosal free Tetanus shot he said that there wasn't. They have a combined thimerosal free shot that's for Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis but not a Tetanus and Diphtheria only booster. I don't think that I'll decide to get a Tetanus shot, but I'm just interested in know which one doesn't contain thimerosal.

Carolyn

Kim

I think you've really got a lot of us thinking with this post... I didn't think thimerosal was an issue for Sam as he was born at the end of 2000. But he has had bad periods after the last couple of shots he had (I stopped them a year and a half ago). He was especially bad after he had an MMR shot in December 2005, but looking at one of the links that you gave, it seems that that one would only have had "undetectable traces of thimerosal" ?

Sorry if I've missed something in all of these posts, but is there a way of finding out for sure if there was thimerosal in all of the vaccines that he had? Would there be a batch number or something on the doctor's records that could be checked? I sure would love to know how much Sam was exposed to. How did you calculate it for your own sons?

Thanks for bringing this up.

Kim,

I've always wondered about the connection but have never been proactive.

Is it just a coincidene Andrew got the DTAP on 2-7-03 and started the high fevers, blinking and chorea on the 11th? He tested positive to strep on the 11th too despite the fact she said a thirteen month old would not get strep. I took him to the ER and had an EEG and CAT scan because I didn't know if they were seizures. The results were negative. I figured it was from the strep but when he got an ear infection and a fever the next month the chorea and blinking returned. Now how would I check on the vaccines he was given that day? I don't have any information about thermosal or a batch number. Now when I gave him a flu shot last year and 5 year old vaccines his symptoms got so much worse. I feel I was so naive to the vaccines. Dr. Murphy said if I give him the flu shot to make sure it doesn't have Mercury or thermosal. That must mean it is still being given with it. I am not giving it again though. Do others giveit?

Michele

Kim

I think you've really got a lot of us thinking with this post... I didn't think thimerosal was an issue for Sam as he was born at the end of 2000. But he has had bad periods after the last couple of shots he had (I stopped them a year and a half ago). He was especially bad after he had an MMR shot in December 2005, but looking at one of the links that you gave, it seems that that one would only have had "undetectable traces of thimerosal" ?

Sorry if I've missed something in all of these posts, but is there a way of finding out for sure if there was thimerosal in all of the vaccines that he had? Would there be a batch number or something on the doctor's records that could be checked? I sure would love to know how much Sam was exposed to. How did you calculate it for your own sons?

Thanks for bringing this up.

Michele and Samsmom, Faith,

You surely can find out. Just get a copy of your son's immunization record. Then you look up the vax package inserts. I believe every one of them can be found online. It's kind of hard, because your son probably got vaccines that are different from the ones that my boys had. But I will be happy to try to help you gather as much info as you would like. Come to think of it, a friend of mine who is a teacher just told me that the school can look up your childs vaccine records on line. It's a public site. I have read about the national vaccine regisrty and how to "opt out" but I have never pursued it. When you think about it, it should be confidential info, but apparently it isn't, unless you request that it not be made public.

Anyway, I think it is going to be a state by state site. If anyone can find how to find it, that would be great, if not, I'll see what I can do.

Just remember, when the 6 extra doses of (3) hep b and (3) hib were added to the line up in the late 80's early 90's, that is the time frame that an increase in problems seemed to appear. There have been more vaccines added, in more "combo," shots since that time too. No one knows exactly what is happening. Is it the sheer number of antigens, a vax ingredient, aluminum (I don't think they have even begun to really look at that yet) simply more toxins in our environment along with the combination with all of the shots, no relationship? We just don't know, because this whole mess has been denied and swept under the carpet for so long IMHO, that the creadible (hopefully) evidence is just emerging. Thimerosal has been suspected, because mercury is so toxic and it was in the shots that were added, in that time frame. That was the long way of saying, even if you find that your son's received no thimerosal, or trace amts. we can't overlook the fact that the immune system is probably involved in TS or at least some cases and we don't know how injecting antigens is going to affect our kids (or anyone's). It leaves us in a pretty bad spot.

Faith, I just wanted to mention, some parents of autistic kids are delighted when their child starts getting what appears to be normal illness. They have posted that their child never got sick, when everyone else in the family did, and never had fevers. Some seem to think, that the normal immune symtoms just weren't present. I don't know if there is anything to this or not, just kind of interesting.

Kim, how do I get involved with this. Reading all this on your post has really made a lot of sense to me. Our son was born in Dec. 1996 and he recieved all the vaxinations that he was required to have. I never knew anything about Thermasol, mercury exposure or anything. I just always assumed what he was getting was safe and now that he has developed tics like so many others on this site, and others that have probally never spoken out, it really makes me sick. What can we do? What do you suggest that we do? Who do I need to contact? What needs to be said? Do we need to contact a lawyer? Could we possibly get some exposure to this maybe on the Oprah show? She is from my home State of MS. in fact her home town and mine are just minutes apart. If I knew how to contact her I would ask her to help us in this matter. Sorry for all the questions but I am really full of questions right now and I am not to good at finding the right people or places to get my answers. Please advise on what I need to do to help. If anyone knows how to contact Oprah please let me know?

mblack,

I did post a comment on this site http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-kirby/...s-_b_66007.html yesterday.

As of this morning, it's not there yet. It was very similar to what I asked for opinions on, above. I would encourage anyone and everyone, who would like to see this investigated to post, everywhere this study is being discussed.

From a little checking around, the "tic significance" is NOT getting much discussion. ^_^

I just can't understand, other than the Kirby article, why. I guess there are many parents that have no idea.

I probably should have posted something like what I just did, under the article Cheri posted.

Carolyn has offered to provide David Kirby's email, your suggestions are all things to consider. I guess my brain hurts a little this morning.

I'm thinking that the porphyrin testing would be helpful also. I'l put the links here again.

http://www.mercury-freedrugs.org/docs/0793...yPoisoningb.pdf

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/67953.php

It looks like we should be able to print some of these articles, take them to a Dr. and tell them we would like, at least the Lab Corp test. Personally, I would like the french test also. It's not that expensive.

Maybe Claire, will comment on her opinion of that test again.

wow! This is beyond scary! Good posting. I am new here but would like to reply. My son was misdiagnosed at at 2 (he is now 8) with autism so the whole mercury link was a big issue in our world. had NO idea it is also related to Tourrette's and so on. We checked around and asked our sons doctor and were assured that all the thermerisol was removed from vaccines "long ago" and due to family history of anxiety and ADD, and that my sons "symptoms" seemed to appear as an infant, that there was no way he was affected by mercury. Well now i am thinking twice!

I want to get involved with this. I am trying, new to this forum, to follow the threads and links properly. I wonder why i have not heard ONE single thing about mercury and tics!? Is the CDC out of their minds?!?!?! I am in shock. Although in our case it could be Tourette's due to my son pretty much following the DSMV description of the onset and progression, but i remain highly skeptical. I will be following this post and add any info i find and thank you for bringing this up!

Post showed up on Kirby site.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-kirby/...s-_b_66007.html

Please, anyone with any interest, just post.

You can say, you had no idea, describe symptoms, say you are investigating vax records, anything!

Just show them that we are out there, and should be counted amongst the increasing #'s or have credible evidence to the contrary.

Show them there is interest in this research on a correlation btwn thimerosal/mercury (period!) and tics disorders!