ACN Latitudes Forums

Throat Clearing tic

kallik

I was wondering what others have used for a constant throat clearing tic. I'm a tad worried his vocal cords might become sore. He says he "feels" there is something in his throat. He'll clear it real loudly, and say, "there" as if he's gotten something out of it, but will go right back to clearing his throat again. I need to check symptoms of asthma, and I'm also wondering if it's anything enviromental, or an allergy, although we've had him tested. Also does anyone know, or understand, the connection between tics and OCD? I've had OCD in my past and it feels to me that they are very similiar, with the release of anxiety you feel when you do what your brain is telling you to do. I suffered for many years, not knowing about 5-HTP and inisitol, etc. and I'm wondering if tryptophan, or 5-HTP will help his tics? Thanks for sharing.

I was wondering what others have used for a constant throat clearing tic. I'm a tad worried his vocal cords might become sore. He says he "feels" there is something in his throat. He'll clear it real loudly, and say, "there" as if he's gotten something out of it, but will go right back to clearing his throat again. I need to check symptoms of asthma, and I'm also wondering if it's anything enviromental, or an allergy, although we've had him tested. Also does anyone know, or understand, the connection between tics and OCD? I've had OCD in my past and it feels to me that they are very similiar, with the release of anxiety you feel when you do what your brain is telling you to do. I suffered for many years, not knowing about 5-HTP and inisitol, etc. and I'm wondering if tryptophan, or 5-HTP will help his tics? Thanks for sharing.

Hi there,

Magnesium Taurine helped my son with his throat clearing tic. You can also try Natural Calm, that helped him as well.

Good luck!

• 1 year later...

HELLO,

ALL TICS, WHETHER ITS EYE BLINKING, THROAT CLEARING OR IN THE HEAD ARE CAUSED BY LOW MAGNESIUM LEVELS--GET SOME IONIC MAGNESIUM ONLINE $4.99 A BOTTLE AND ADD IT TO HIS WATER OR DO WHAT I DO I BUY ALMOND MILK CHOCOLATE YUMMY FROM WALMART--ITS LOADED WITH MAGNESIUM AND MY SON GETS A GLASS EVERY MORNING FOR BREAKFAST AND IT STOPPED ALL HIS TICS! AND HE LOVES IT--I DID GIVE HIM THE IONIC MAG IN THE BEGINNING TO GET THE MAG LEVELS UP THEN I DISCOVERED THE ALMOND MILK--ITS ALSO LOADED WITH VIT E AND OTHER GOOD VITAMINS AND MINERALS. HE HAD THE EYE BLINKING AND NECK AND HEAD TIC AND TICKED WHEN HE ATE --THEY ARE ALL GONE NOW! GOOD LUCK

ALMOND MILK CHOCOLATE

Is this a type of milk or a substitute you add to millk... sounds like something my son would love too... never saw this before. I would do the natural calm with v8 fusion drink but my son went through stages of complaining and not liking it.... i don't think he would complain much of chocolate :lol:

Mary

HELLO,

ALL TICS, WHETHER ITS EYE BLINKING, THROAT CLEARING OR IN THE HEAD ARE CAUSED BY LOW MAGNESIUM LEVELS--GET SOME IONIC MAGNESIUM ONLINE $4.99 A BOTTLE AND ADD IT TO HIS WATER OR DO WHAT I DO I BUY ALMOND MILK CHOCOLATE YUMMY FROM WALMART--ITS LOADED WITH MAGNESIUM AND MY SON GETS A GLASS EVERY MORNING FOR BREAKFAST AND IT STOPPED ALL HIS TICS! AND HE LOVES IT--I DID GIVE HIM THE IONIC MAG IN THE BEGINNING TO GET THE MAG LEVELS UP THEN I DISCOVERED THE ALMOND MILK--ITS ALSO LOADED WITH VIT E AND OTHER GOOD VITAMINS AND MINERALS. HE HAD THE EYE BLINKING AND NECK AND HEAD TIC AND TICKED WHEN HE ATE --THEY ARE ALL GONE NOW! GOOD LUCK

Mary,

The almond milk is easy to get at any healthfood store and in supermarkets too. Its like the same type thing as soymilk or rice milk, but they have chocolate flavored ones, and vanilla too. I wouldn't get my hopes up too much, for the taste is not exactly like regular chocolate milk, and it will be hit or miss as to wether your child likes it, but its worth a try i guess. But I can't imagine it being palatable when adding the magnesium because the magnesium usually has a tart taste, so the mix might be recognized. I recommend using a citrus flavor drink, with Simply Lemonade being the best, you just add a splash.

Lindam,

How are things with your child's tics now? Many of us here are fully aware that magnesium is a key supplement for tics, but I would hasten to say it is the ONLY thing. I would certainly recommend this as the first step, and those that have minor tic issues will probably benefit, but unfortunately, some with more complicated tic disorders have other issues at hand that need to be uncovered and addressed. It sounds as though tics are not the main issue for your child--would you say any of the other behaviors has been helped with the magnesium supplementation as well? But you do use meds for that, right? May I also suggest that some meds can be the cause of the tic too, so you might want to be informed on the side effects of the meds your child is on. If they are working well for him tho, I wouldn't mess with it even if he gets a few tics now and then. If the magnesium helps with that part, then that is great. Thanks for letting us know how it has helped.

Faith

HELLO,

ALL TICS, WHETHER ITS EYE BLINKING, THROAT CLEARING OR IN THE HEAD ARE CAUSED BY LOW MAGNESIUM LEVELS

I just wanted to mention that where *many* tic disorders are related to magnesium deficiency, NOT *all* tics are caused by low magnesium levels. Magnesium is a very good first step in helping with many types of tics but it isnt a "magic" cure for ALL tics. People with TS benefit from magnesium and it can substantially reduce tics, but it does not "cure" their Tourette Syndrome

Kids with PANDAS may benefit from magnesium for their tics, but they need antibiotics and other treatments becasue they are ticcing from strep infection causing inflammation, not magnesium deficiency

re adding magnesium to other drinks, only magnesium citrate is tart so other forms of magnesium can be added to milk etc

I have not looked at the ingredients of this chocolate almond milk so have no idea what it is made of