ACN Latitudes Forums

Supplements and diet

itsme

Hello Chemar, I have been reading the exchange between you and Emma and was hoping you could help. You sound very knowledgeable about the diet. My son, 8, has been showing signs of TS and we are working through the diagnosis. I have read just about everything on the web around diet. It sounds as though eliminating yeast and adding Magnesium supplements is a good first step. Do you have any thoughts on this diet - if you have heard success stories. I am struggling a bit with what to feed my son, looks like most things are eliminated. For example, meat is good or bad? Not clear, aslo eggs? I understand the yeast, wheat and dairy connection...but can he have yogurt? I know, way to many questions - can you point me somewhere that can help?

Thank you....

hi help4matt and welcome

there is no one diet per se that helps with tics as it is very much dependent on the individual

my son has NO whole food allergies and so can eat pretty much anything but he does have extreme sensitivity to ARTIFICIAL food additives, which does seem to be a common theme in kids with neuro issues (and I personally believe for all of us in some way or another)

My son has chemical sensitivity, and so these artifical additives trigger his tics and OCD big time

Many people with neuro issues do seem to have food allergies, especially to gluten and casein, altho corn seems to frequently be on the list as well, and they seem to benefit from eliminating these from diet.

So the diet as such involves eliminating artificial additives, especially all artificial coloring, artificial flavoring, artificial sweeteners (nutrasweet/aspartame AND splenda/sucralose etc) as well as high frustose corn syrup, MSG (with many hidden names in food ^_^ ) chemical preservatives etc etc and theneliminating specific foods that the individual may be allergic or sensitive to.

Optimum diet is whole food prepared without artificial additives and complimented by nutritional supplements specific again to individual needs

most people with tics benefit from a good pure multivitamin/multimineral, extra magnesium , omega3, and addoitional B vitamins, tho caution needed as some cannot tolerate B complex pills and should take liquid Bs or individual B supps

the "yeast" we refer to often here is an infection of the gut with candida albicans, a yeast like parasite

Certain foods (sugars, alcohol and refined carbs) 'feed" the candida and so eradicating it involves using a diet that has less of those foods in, while using a good "yeast" ie candida eliminating supplement ( I like Candida Clear by NOW best)

Chemar,

What is the brand of your liquid B vitamin supplement? Did you say you get all your vitamins from Bontech?From what I read they recommend quite alot of capsules per day. How do you regulate that for little ones. My son is very small at about 34 lbs. Thanks.

Michele

hi help4matt and welcome

there is no one diet per se that helps with tics as it is very much dependent on the individual

my son has NO whole food allergies and so can eat pretty much anything but he does have extreme sensitivity to ARTIFICIAL food additives, which does seem to be a common theme in kids with neuro issues (and I personally believe for all of us in some way or another)

My son has chemical sensitivity, and so these artifical additives trigger his tics and OCD big time

Many people with neuro issues do seem to have food allergies, especially to gluten and casein, altho corn seems to frequently be on the list as well, and they seem to benefit from eliminating these from diet.

So the diet as such involves eliminating artificial additives, especially all artificial coloring, artificial flavoring, artificial sweeteners (nutrasweet/aspartame AND splenda/sucralose etc) as well as high frustose corn syrup, MSG (with many hidden names in food ^_^ ) chemical preservatives etc etc and theneliminating specific foods that the individual may be allergic or sensitive to.

Optimum diet is whole food prepared without artificial additives and complimented by nutritional supplements specific again to individual needs

most people with tics benefit from a good pure multivitamin/multimineral, extra magnesium , omega3, and addoitional B vitamins, tho caution needed as some cannot tolerate B complex pills and should take liquid Bs or individual B supps

the "yeast" we refer to often here is an infection of the gut with candida albicans, a yeast like parasite

Certain foods (sugars, alcohol and refined carbs) 'feed" the candida and so eradicating it involves using a diet that has less of those foods in, while using a good "yeast" ie candida eliminating supplement ( I like Candida Clear by NOW best)

Chemar,

Thank you for the reply. The whole concept of change in diet and buildup of toxins does make perfect sense, a brain allergy. However, after that it gets deeply confusing and contradiciting. From everything I have read, it appears that eradicating the yeast and supplements (especially magnesium) are important. Do you know much about the yeast free diets - they seem to be quite intense for a little one? What we have chosen to do (at this point) is eliminate Sugar [that one was easy], espceically all the artifical stuff he was eating (corn syrups and the like), Bread and Dairy (except certain yogurts). What we have not done yet, but I guess need to start are the vitamins. My concern is how to know what amount -did you work with a nutritionist on that? Also, have you taken this "Natural calm" for kids - I think that is for the magnesium, correc? Thank you SO much - my wife and I are really struggling with how aggressive to be with the diet.

Todd

Hello Help4matt,

We have been doing the yeast (Candidas) diet with our 5 yr. old for about 5 months. It was an adjustment for about a week or two and since than it has been going very smoothly. We also use Bontech supplements (you can find them on the net - The website also contains useful info for proper diet for tic control). The whole program of supps, diet, and activity have been working well. There are a few more tics now which i think may be allergy related so our next step is NAET treatments for allergies.

It may also be a good idea to seek out a good environmental dr. That is what we did and it was/is quite useful and reassuring.

one of the best books with good recipes is The Yeast Syndrome by Morton Walker and John Trowbridge

we did not go on a 'yeast free" diet but rather a diet that starves Candida

hi, Michele,we have never used BonTech supplements........

I based my son's initial supplement protocol on Bonnie's *original* plan for her child, back before she started BonTech. I put together combinations for my son based on her suggestions and that of our doctors, after testing.

here again is the link to our treatment protocol

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=687

Chemar,

So you found your son does better by giving all the supplements seperate? I was wondering if that would be better then say GABA calm to give tauren and gaba seperate? Everytime I go to the Vitamin shop it is very overwhelming. We were out of the multivitamin today and I just had the hardest time deciding what to get. I have read about Bontech and it seems very good for tourettes but it also seems like alot of pills in a day for a young one. I just wish there was a plan spelled out for us. I know he is not absorbing zinc and vit b- 6 and 12 correctly and needs calming from the overproduction of opium but can a single vitamin do it or do you need to seperate them all? I am giving the Monolaurin and digestive enzymes AFP, and Nordic Naturals and fish oils, and NACYL glucosamine and probiotics, and penicillin V. It seems like alot already. I did write two Dr.'s to see if we could get a stronger antibiotic now we will wait for their responses. I ran out of the lithium orotate today too. I think I may try the GABA CALM next. The school sent home a paper today saying his gross motor was delayed which I knew and I told them about the prescription for fine motor therapy. He is doing great with his behaviors at school though and has never even had a warning yet. I know he wants to do good! Thanks for your responses.

Michele

one of the best books with good recipes is The Yeast Syndrome by Morton Walker and John Trowbridge

we did not go on a 'yeast free" diet but rather a diet that starves Candida

hi, Michele,we have never used BonTech supplements........

I based my son's initial supplement protocol on Bonnie's *original* plan for her child, back before she started BonTech. I put together combinations for my son based on her suggestions and that of our doctors, after testing.

here again is the link to our treatment protocol

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=687

Michele,

When you got the results of the pyroluria testing, did the lab give a rec on how much zinc and b6 to take in order to correct that, or did you just supplement on your own based on the results?

Also, since you've mentioned you felt that your son almost seems worse since you've started different supps, have you considered that something is not tolerated, I know you mentioned the fish oil, did you stop that yet? Any better? I am giving zinc for past two weeks and will try to add B6, but a little squeamish about the B6 since i had a feeling in the past that his B complex was possibly causing a problem for him and B6 could be one of the ones....

If you want to try the Bontech (I have not) he'd probably get about 8-10 pills a day and I'd think you could empty them into a 1/2 cup of apple sauce and mix up. That's what I use for capsules that don't mix too well in juice.

Faith

They did not give a recommendation on amounts of b-12 and Zinc. I am guessing more then you might get in a multi-vitamin. We did stop the fish oils and there wason difference after a month. I went ahead and added them again since Dr. Murphy recommended it. I will try the Corremega now. I am working with insurance to cover the DAN because of nutritional difficiancy and metabolic dissorder. I think they said three visits in three months and then reapply. I have submitted two bills but need to send in more info to hopefully get reimburssed. I need the DAN to go over the tests and give results and reccomendations. I think he said $175. I hope it will be covered. I went ahead and rebought the Nordic Naturals for now. I did order in the GABA Calm in orange sublinguals. They also had GABA and Taurine 1-2 a day and TMG but I was concerned about giving them all seperate and with the ACTYL Glucosamine. The DAN recommended liquid B-12 by Kirkmans. One teaspoon a day. Let me know what you think. Thanks again. Pretty sad I went all the way to Florida and still don't know what to give. <_<

Michele

Michele,

When you got the results of the pyroluria testing, did the lab give a rec on how much zinc and b6 to take in order to correct that, or did you just supplement on your own based on the results?

Also, since you've mentioned you felt that your son almost seems worse since you've started different supps, have you considered that something is not tolerated, I know you mentioned the fish oil, did you stop that yet? Any better? I am giving zinc for past two weeks and will try to add B6, but a little squeamish about the B6 since i had a feeling in the past that his B complex was possibly causing a problem for him and B6 could be one of the ones....

If you want to try the Bontech (I have not) he'd probably get about 8-10 pills a day and I'd think you could empty them into a 1/2 cup of apple sauce and mix up. That's what I use for capsules that don't mix too well in juice.

Faith

Michele,

eee, things do sound a little all over the place. You mean, no one yet has suggested or layed out a protocol for you? You didn't answer about the titers testing, did they take blood at Dr. Murphy's office for ANY tests? I would think she'd at least have a referral of someone you could work with closer to where you live. I think the supps you mention are okay, just not sure why you want to do fish oil again if you think he's better off it? .... Really for you I think you have to get that antibiotic issue resolved most of all. I think you just have to hit on the right doc...boy, they must be tough in Ohio, now I don't seem to have the PANJDAS issue going on but there was an incident where my son had an exacerbation last year and our pediatrician dx with strep and gave amoxycilin, and it did resolve within a day or two, (and so I did persue and research this for a time, but he was negative to titers, so.....) so next time when he started the vocal sounds I reminded him of how he got better last time and he was like "great, let's try that again and if it works, let me know" and wrote out the prescription no problem. (I guess we New Yorkers are baaaad!) <_< ....But really, I think its just a matter of finding the right doc who will understand all this.....

Faith

Faith,

So when you gave him the Amox again-what was the result the second time-symptoms better? I have just been wondering if symptoms would resolve in people that did not have high titers and would benefit also from antibiotics. Has anypne done prophalictic doses without worrying about the titers, but because they consistently improved with antibiotics?

Faith,

So when you gave him the Amox again-what was the result the second time-symptoms better? I have just been wondering if symptoms would resolve in people that did not have high titers and would benefit also from antibiotics. Has anypne done prophalictic doses without worrying about the titers, but because they consistently improved with antibiotics?

Good question -- that was what I was trying to figure out. At that point I'd already been to the Infectious Disease doc and had the test because it looked like after the other incident, maybe there was something there, but it was negative, so nothing we could really do. So when this other tic started and I was worried, I went in just to see if he had any strep again and relayed the last experience. But it did not resolve like it did last time, I think it was the vocal that started then. He started to write out a Rx for Augmentin, but I said it was Amoxycilin last time, so we did that. I sometimes wonder if at that point a different one would have worked, but..........

so in answer to that question, no it did not seem to help, so I just finished the amoxy and got busy with looking at other issues. I also had another test done at the DAN doctor we saw a few months later and that was negative too.

Faith

Hello itsme,

Thank you, the yeast free diet seems very intense for young kids. Also, from a nutrition standpoint - wouldn't there have been a problem with yeast in the past (infection, intolerance, etc.)? Also, what do you feed your kids for breakfast - can't understand if they can have yogurt, potatoes, wheat (says not bread, but does say whole wheat) and what about bacon or red meat? Thanks.