ACN Latitudes Forums

3 year old with gasping tic

Does anyone have any advice on how to treat a child with a gasping tic (like a loud hiccup). My 3 year old has had only this one chronic tic for over a year now. My husband and I are not wanting to put her on any brain altering meds since this tic comes and goes. Do have her on some of Bonnie's supplements at the present. Have done allergy testing and a metabolic urine analysis with her presenting with high citric acid cycle. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I do believe her diaphragm is spasming. Any other parent whose child presents with this tic, please offer advice. Thanks lherbert

Guest Guest_Debbie

Wow, I have this tic, too! I have often wondered if it was actually a tic because I'd never heard of anything like it. Before I knew what TS was I would just explain it as a "half-hiccup" because that is what it feels like, but it sounds like gasping in shock. If hers is like mine, it is the diaphragm spasming.

How frequent is it? Does it hurt? Does it bother her or scare her?

What kind of allergy testing did you have done? Could it be a false negative(s), or could it be an intolerance or sensitivity rather than an allergy?

Have you tried keeping a log of when she has them, to see if you can link them to something like cold drinks/ice cream, or really spicy foods, dairy, etc?

Hope that helps. Sorry your dd has this problem, though it is nice to know I'm not the only one!

Thank you for your reply. It is also nice to know that I am not alone. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and how long have you had this diaphragmatic tic. Have you ever been on any medications for it or have you had any success in learning how to suppress it. I had my child allergy tested through blood and really nothing came of it. I find that my child does this gasping while she is eating or sometimes shortly afterwards; however she also does it when she is excited, when she has a cold, or at times, when she is relaxing. I am very curious as to know whether one is able to suppress this type of tic and what you have done about yours. Thanks again for your reply. lherbert

Guest Guest_Debbie

Hi again,

I'm 29 years old. I don't suppose anyone would call me "normal" :P but I'm happily married with four kids and overall feel pretty good about myself & my life. I've had tics as long as I can remember, but that particular tic is pretty infrequent and hasn't been around as long (since my late teens, at the earliest, would be my guess.) It can be a little painful, the way hiccups can be, so if they won't stop I'll try holding my breath. Sometimes that works.

I've never taken meds for tics. I was just officially diagnosed last week, actually, although I self-diagnosed over a year ago. Suppressing tics is really hard. It's like trying to hold back a sneeze, or not blink; you *can* do it but it's not fun. I don't suppress my tics consciously, in fact for most of my life I've insisted they were completely involuntary. I just "happen" to have them when people aren't looking, though, so obviously there is some suppression going on there. The trouble with that is, if I'm in a situation too long where they've been suppressed, I get so tense and jumpy and I just really wish I could have the tics & feel better, but then I'm thinking about it too hard and I can't have them when I'm thinking about it.

I've never bothered trying to suppress my tics. Much easier just to let them happen. I just tell friends & family to ignore them, and for the most part they do. I do avoid caffeine because I know that makes them worse, and I have tried dietary interventions for other reasons and I've always paid attention to see how my tics were affected. Even so, caffeine seems to be the only thing that makes them worse.

You might want to keep looking into the allergy issue. Those tests are well-known for false results, especially in young children. Plus, they only test for one specific type of reaction, and can overlook many other issues. Elimination diets are really the only way to know for sure. Also some people have had help from vitamin and mineral supplimentation, the theory being that their bodies aren't utilizing the nutrients properly even though they're getting enough.

Hope that helps!

Debbie- I want to thank you for your replies. I can honestly tell you that I have felt very alone in this quest to help my child and you have given me at least some insight into this tic that even the doctors have been mystified over. I am sure that I will have more questions for you that I am unable to post right now. Please keep checking this post if you have the time. I just wanted to tell you I appreciate your response. Have a great day. lherbert

Guest Guest_Debbie

No problem! I check this board somewhat erratically; sometimes daily, sometimes weekly, sometimes longer, but I will remember to keep an eye out for you. :P

Debbie- I just spoke in great lengths with Sheila from Latitudes.org and she was helpful in regards to tics in general and trying to find triggers for the tics. Have you ever been predisposed to the gasping tic as a response to something you ate such as an allergic reaction? Did you get any insight from the medical profession regarding the spasming diaphragm. My MD requested a MRI. We haven't decided on doing that yet. I am just trying to find out triggers right now. Just curious as to what some of yours are for that particular tic. Sometimes I can hear her talk and her voice will go wet like one would near to clear the throat and I know she is going to gasp. Have you ever done that? Thanks lherbert

Guest Guest_Debbie

Hello again,

No, I've never been able to track down a food that caused them. I definitely wouldn't rule it, though. For one thing, I've never paid much attention or kept a log or anything. Also, I know from experience how hard it can be to track down a food allergy or sensitivity, because they hide so many things in different foods.

The only people I've mentioned the hiccup tics to were my P.A. (physician's assistant) and the mental health team who diagnosed me with TS. They didn't say much about them, even though I'd commented that I wasn't even sure if they were tics because they didn't feel quite the same as my other tics.

Yes, that wet, blocked sound right before the gasping starts, I do that too. It's very strange! I can't remember the last time I've had this tic, though...maybe it is allergy-related...I've had some pretty drastic dietary changes in the past couple of years. I'm definitely going to pay more attention the next time it happens.

Guest Jeff

Hi Debbie, I'm new on this board, so I hope you are able to read this reply. In any case, I too have tics which I believe are related to Tourette's Syndrome. I am 47, father of two daughters, who also have tics. A couple of years ago, we discovered that, in our case, the tics are triggered by certain additives in food. These food additives also trigger adverse behavior in many children. When we started to eliminate the additives (artificial flavors, colors, and some preservatives), the tics disappeared. If we "cheat" on the diet, the tics come back. Have you ever heard of the Feingold Diet? It works for us, and for many other families. Once you begin to eliminate the bad stuff, there is a "de-tox" period of up to 6 weeks before you see the improvement. But once that period is over, the differences can be like night and day. Feingold has a web page if you are interested in reading about it (Feingold.org).

Hope this helps. Jeff

Debbie and Jeff- Since I last posted, I got in touch with Sheila from Latitudes who sent me all the editions of the Latitude publications which I read backward and forward. Meanwhile, my daughter got sick, ran temperature, and didn't eat anything all day. What she did do was drink. What I noticed was that after she drank orange juice, she developed her tic about 20 minutes afterward and gasped for 3 hours straight. (What is scary is that it is almost every breath-kinda like an asthma attack). Well, since she wasn't eating, I thought this was something, so later on, I tried it again-same response. I couldn't believe that I might be on to something. My husband came home and I told him my theory about the juice being a trigger and he wanted me to prove it, so sure enough-same reaction. I then started a diet diary of everything she is putting in her mouth and just got the Feingold program in and I am seeing some favorable responses. She still has the tic if she is really excited and tired at the same thing. Jeff-any of your input is greatly appreciated regarding the Feingold program. If there is anything that works for you and your family, please respond. How old are your kids and how are they handling their tics. I get so worried about my child's self esteem. She will be going to school next year and I am curious as to how you approach the tics with teachers and are they suppportive of the Feingold program at school. Thanks -lherbert

Guest Guest_Debbie

Hi Jeff & lherbert,

Jeff, that's really interesting that you mention that. One of my sons is very reactive to those things. I hadn't considered that I might be as well. I do know that I have reactions to corn (rage attacks), which is in practically *everything* so I already make almost all my foods from scratch anyway. I do know there are plenty of natural things that are similar & can cause a reaction, though, so I may do a test once my daughter weans. (Long story, but I can't manage elimination diets while breastfeeding or pregnant.) Oh, there's an Australian website that is very similar that you might find interesting: http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely keep it in mind. :P

lherbert, I'm glad to hear that you seem to have found a trigger! That is really exciting. About the self-esteem, I do believe that is very important. Have you seen this website? http://www.lifesatwitch.com/ He's got a really great attitude about TS. Even though I've had tics for most of my life, they never affected my self-esteem or social relations. I know that this was because of my very non-chalant attitude. Looking back, I'm sure that some people thought I was "weird" or had something wrong with me, but my reactions were always such that I never gave it any thought, and eventually those people learned to accept it. I had several different responses depending on the situation and time period in my life; some were kind of amusing and others were just a brush-off. With such a young child, I think what's important is how you model responses. She will learn how to respond to questions by watching you. For example, if someone asks about it, and you respond with a simple shrug and "It's just something that she does, her dr says it's normal...go on, you were telling me about..." then she will learn that it is nothing to make a fuss about and how to relate that to others when you're not around.

Oh, I could probably go on all night about this...I hope you understand what I'm getting at! Good luck. :D

Guest Jeff

Hi Debbie and lherbert, Nice to hear from you.

That's interesting about the orange juice. Good for you for noticing it!!

Maybe your daughter is sensitive to salicylates, which naturally occur in foods such as oranges, apples, grapes, berries, tomatoes, etc.

Our oldest daughter (now 11) is sensitive to sals. It was tough at first, but then we realized that she reacted when she consumed too much of one item. Now she can have an apple one day, a tomato (including pizza, soup, etc) another day, some grapes, etc... with no reaction.

The diet diary is a great tool. You'll find that you'll use it for a while, then not need it for a while, then return to it some time in the future to identify another trigger.

Glad to hear that lherbert has discovered Feingold. Be sure to check out the members bulletin board. Talk about a ton of information!! The folks on that board write daily and love to offer help and the wisdom of their experiences.

Handling the tics was difficult for my oldest. Second grade was terrible. At that point we didn't know about Feingold, and we didn't know what to do. The worst were the facial tics, as they were more noticeable. She got teased, and we spent a few tearful nights. I was heartbroken. When she'd sit on my lap in the evening to read books, her whole body was in constant motion. Now that we're on Feingold, the facial tics are rare and she can sit perfectly still and relaxed on my lap! My youngest was just starting to tic (about age 7) when we were starting Feingold. She went through a period of facial tics, shoulder tics, and teasing, but, with Feingold, we were able to eliminate the worst ones. Now all three of us still tic a little, but the tics are not real obvious, so they are not a social issue. The worst thing is my youngest's behavioral reactions to corn syrup!

Well, I've gone on long enough. Be sure to check out the FG bulletin board. Most of the folks on there are dealing with ADD/ADHD, but there are a few who are also dealing with TS, tics, etc.

Remember, most folks require up to 6 weeks "de-tox" period after they start FG. So don't get discouraged if you don't see what you want during the first few weeks. In fact, sometimes it gets worse during that period!

Look forward to seeing your name as a "newbie" on the FAUS bb.

Debbie- I had heard of the lifes a twitch website, but not the Australian website. Thanks. For the first time in a while, I feel optimistic. Jeff- I will definitely be visiting the Feingold website as well. Thanks for all of your input. Have a great day. Will be chatting with you soon. lherbert

• 3 weeks later...

My son has also had this gasping/breathing tic. He is now 11, and suffered from it on and off for a few years. It really scared him, which of course, made things worse. Our doctor suggested that he breathe into a paper bag in case he was hyperventilating. This seemed to help. I know his whole diaphram would appear like it was spasming when it was strong. It seemed to come on often at bedtime when he was winding down, or when we were riding in the car. He may also be sensitive to orange juice, though I'm not positive. Recently, though, this breathing problem as well as most of his other tics, seem to have largely gone away. He had tested before with elevated levels of clostridia and of yeast, which I think are finally going away with treatment. I'm wondering if perhaps you know whether yeast and or clostridia may be a problem in your cases as well.

Dear Phyl- Thank you for your reply. I will have to try the paperbag treatment the next time she has a serious spell. For what we have tried lately is the Feingold diet per Jeff's response and while not everything on it is working, some of it has. I think my child reacts to the salicylates (especially orange juice!!!!!!!!!!) apple, even pear which is on the Feingold program. Preservatives affect her as well. Mrs. Dash, I think was a culprit (it is on the program- I checked the label and it has orange peel in it) I am currently writing everything down and definitely see a strong reaction to things she is eating/drinking. I have also ordered the book Fed Up With Asthma by Sue Dengate in regards to the FailSafe diet per Debbie's suggestion. In regards to yeast, we did a urine analysis and yeast was not suggested. I am not sure about clostridia (what exactly is it?) We are going to an environmental MD in early July. For anyone reading, please keep us in your prayers. I will post results for anyone interested. Thanks lherbert