ACN Latitudes Forums

vaccinations

bmom

thanks emma,

I totally agree, a reg staph infection, is not that big of a deal. My son did respond to the anti biotic for the 3rd infection quite well MRSA or not. Obviously, I don't even know if the 2nd one, by his mouth was staph for sure. It could have just as easily been strep, and an antibiotic was not even required. Staph has not been something that paniced me, and I know it can resolve on it's own.

My biggest fear with this whole thing, is the rate at which the MRSA strains appear to be colonizing and for the children who recently died, invasive. As strains of s pneumoniae are being eradicated, and replaced by non vaccine strains and staph. The replacement with the MRSA type, in this study makes me sick. There are many many published studies, showing staph increase, along with replacement serotypes since the introduction of Prevnar. What will happen when the 13 strain vax (as opposed to 7 now) is widely used.

They know what's happening here, and personally, I think it's criminal

I bet the labs are smokin, seeing who can come up with the staph vax'es the quickest. This has truly become a self perpetuating business.

Results. A total of 230 charts were available for review. The mean age of the patients was 4.0 ± 3.6 years. Of the pleural fluid cultures performed, 32% (69 of 219) were positive. An additional 27 patients had a cause identified by blood culture. The first penicillin-nonsusceptible Streptococcus pneumoniae was identified in 1995, and the first methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus was identified in 1998. After the universal use of the pneumococcal conjugate vaccine, 3 major changes have occurred (1999–2000 vs 2001–2002): 1) the number of patients admitted with empyema (per 10 000 admissions) has decreased from 23 to 12.6; 2) the prevalence of S pneumoniae has decreased from 66% (29 of 44) to 27% (4 of 15); and 3) S aureus has become the most common pathogen isolated (18% vs 60%), with 78% of those being methicillin resistant.

Here's another.....how many difficult ear infections in kids, and antibiotics, are being used to deal with this? And the majority of parents will have no clue

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=15841788

Quote:

A trial with a 7-valent pneumococcal-conjugate vaccine in children with recurrent acute otitis media showed a shift In pneumococcal colonisation towards non-vaccine serotypes and an Increase In Staphylococcus aureus-related acute otitis media after vaccination. We investigated prevalence and determinants of nasopharyngeal carriage of Streptococcus pneumonlae and S aureus in 3198 healthy children aged 1-19 years. Nasopharyngeal carriage of S pneumonlae was detected In 598 (19%) children, and was affected by age (peak Incidence at 3 years) and day-care attendance (odds ratio [OR] 2.14, 95% Cl 1.44-3.18). S aureus carriage was affected by age (peak incidence at 10 years) and male sex (OR 1.46, 1.25-1.70). Serotyping showed 42% vaccine type pneumococci. We noted a negative correlation for co-colonisation of S aureus and vaccine-type pneumococci (OR 0.68, 0.48-0.94), but not for S aureus and non-vaccine serotypes. These findings suggest a natural competition between colonisation with vaccine-type pneumococci and S aureus, which might explain the Increase in S aureus-related otitis media after vaccination.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very very very hard to get a medical exemption. For anyone with tests, which show a dysfuntion of the immune system, hold on tight to your documentation.

CHOP proposals......... :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

http://www.icpa4kids.org/wellness/0038.html

(1) requiring vaccination of all nurses and other health care workers as a condition of employment;

(2) passing laws to facilitate prosecution of parents of unvaccinated children for economic damages when vaccinated children contract vaccine preventable diseases;

(3) routine posting and publishing of lists of unvaccinated individuals in public places in communities; and

(4) prosecuting parents who homeschool their children for child neglect if they do not vaccinate them.

Kim, MRSA is awful, and the fact that it can become invasive, and people die is very concerning. I did note that some here with PANDAS are using clindamycin. That is one of the few drugs used to fight MRSA, so I would be a little concerned in using that. I would be concerned that if I was using clindamycin for the PANDAS, it might not work for my child if she needed it for invasive MRSA. I do have concerns about my child being on long-term antibiotics, especially when I read about these superbugs. For right now, though, the antibiotic is the only thing that helps.

Kim,

Here is my issue. My baby is due for her nine month shots soon. I've given them up to now. However, after my talk wih Dr. Demio and these articles, he said my kids should only have certain vaccines like meningitis with our history of Andrew's neurological and my autoimmune trouble and the metals in my mouth during pregnancy. What do you think? Whenever I've mentioned the vacc connection to the ped office they shoot it down. I can not bare to see her go through what he did at such a young age. The eye blinks nd myclonic jerks. Now what? Also why were my two older girls fine? I didn't have arthritis then? It really came out strong after his birth although I was having alot of pains before but thought it was from hard exercise. Dr. Demio said females do better becuse of estrogen.

Michele

It is very very very hard to get a medical exemption. For anyone with tests, which show a dysfuntion of the immune system, hold on tight to your documentation.

CHOP proposals......... :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

http://www.icpa4kids.org/wellness/0038.html

(1) requiring vaccination of all nurses and other health care workers as a condition of employment;

(2) passing laws to facilitate prosecution of parents of unvaccinated children for economic damages when vaccinated children contract vaccine preventable diseases;

(3) routine posting and publishing of lists of unvaccinated individuals in public places in communities; and

(4) prosecuting parents who homeschool their children for child neglect if they do not vaccinate them.

Michele,

I found a couple of threads for you to read, that might be helpful. Again, I like studies and links within these threads, a lot better than personal opinions or experiences.

What you need to remember when reading, is that there is not a meningitis vaccine per say. There are vaccines developed to reduce the incidence of meningitis caused by a certain strains of bacteria. These two threads deal mainly with HIB and Prevnar, which are designed to reduce the incidence of Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) and S. pneumoniae. Apparently, Menactra, which has only been recommended for older children, is about to be added for, I believe 2 year olds.

We are in a very difficult situation. If we suspect viruses, bacterial infections, metals, etc. can have a negative impact on our childrens health, most likely caused by a genetic predispostition, then we have to try to figure out, the best course of action, with each individual child. The only way I know of, to make this decision, is by knowing something about the disease, what effect the vaccine has had, how likely my child is to contract it, and what treatments are avialable, if they do. From what I gather, as the incidence of Hib decreased, the incidence of invasive disease caused by strains of S. pneumoniae, increased. While meningitis caused by Hib decreased, the overall incidence did not. Hence, the addition of Prevnar. Now, we seem to be seeing an increase in staph (and other strains not included in the current vax), due to lessened strains of s pneumoniae included in Prevnar. I feel that once you start the process, you feel further pressured to continue, as vaccinating for one, increases the risk of another. What ever you decide to do, at least you will know, that you informed yourself. There are no guarantees, no matter what you decide, Michele. All I know, is that I'm angry at myself, for not having any idea, what I was vaccinating my sons for, and why. If I had tried my level best, regardless of the outcome, I would feel better about all of this. Before I start repeating myself :angry: (again!) I'll just give you the links

Hope this is helpful in making your decision.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=503552

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=232521

Just wondering what y'all are doing about yourselves. I am convinced that I do not want my kids getting the flu vaccine. However, I do catch a lot of what goes around. So, I am thinking for my children's sake, I should probably get the vaccine. I don't believe overall it is a good vaccine, but I would feel bad if I gave my kids the flu. What do you think?

emma,

read this. It may help give you some prespective on the #'s you will see reported. There is so much involved in the marketing of these things, it's hard to separate the true benefit, from the hype.

http://www.healthychild.com/flu-vaccine-studies.htm

Studies Fail to Demonstrate Safety or Effectiveness of Influenza Vaccine in Children and Adults
www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/333/7574/912

The optimistic and confident tone of some predictions of viral circulation and of the impact of inactivated vaccines, which are at odds with the evidence, is striking. The reasons are probably complex and may involve "a messy blend of truth conflicts and conflicts of interest making it difficult to separate factual disputes from value disputes"22 or a manifestation of optimism bias (an unwarranted belief in the efficacy of interventions).

edit to include article from post below

Dr. Demio said spinal meningitis is highest incidence in the county where we live right now. He said like before camp he would recommend it.

These are good articles relating autoimmune illnesses to vaccines. It makes me wonder. When I explain it to my mom she says you were all fine and we vaccinated. Oh brother! What about me now with this RA? Plus the number of vaccines have doubled.

Michele

What you need to remember when reading, is that there is not a meningitis vaccine per say. There are vaccines developed to reduce the incidence of meningitis caused by a certain strains of bacteria. These two threads deal mainly with HIB and Prevnar, which are designed to reduce the incidence of Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) and S. pneumoniae. Apparently, Menactra, which has only been recommended for older children, is about to be added for, I believe 2 year olds.

We are in a very difficult situation. If we suspect viruses, bacterial infections, metals, etc. can have a negative impact on our childrens health, most likely caused by a genetic predispostition, then we have to try to figure out, the best course of action, with each individual child. The only way I know of, to make this decision, is by knowing something about the disease, what effect the vaccine has had, how likely my child is to contract it, and what treatments are avialable, if they do. From what I gather, as the incidence of Hib decreased, the incidence of invasive disease caused by strains of S. pneumoniae, increased. While meningitis caused by Hib decreased, the overall incidence did not. Hence, the addition of Prevnar. Now, we seem to be seeing an increase in staph (and other strains not included in the current vax), due to lessened strains of s pneumoniae included in Prevnar. I feel that once you start the process, you feel further pressured to continue, as vaccinating for one, increases the risk of another. What ever you decide to do, at least you will know, that you informed yourself. There are no guarantees, no matter what you decide, Michele. All I know, is that I'm angry at myself, for not having any idea, what I was vaccinating my sons for, and why. If I had tried my level best, regardless of the outcome, I would feel better about all of this. Before I start repeating myself :angry: (again!) I'll just give you the links

Hope this is helpful in making your decision.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=503552

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=232521

Michele,

I thought you were talking about your 9 month old, which the info I posted would be more relevant to.

I guess I would ask Dr D. if the incidence of disease in your area is viral or bacterial, and if he is aware of which serotype. If he doesn't know, I would call the health dept. and question them. If there is a high incidence of a type, included in the vaccine that is being recommended for your son, then I would take that into consideration, along with the vax ingredients and your sons state of health, overall.

The family history of autoimmune disease and the questions regarding vax, make me wonder too!

BTW...this may not be a totally accurate statement. It depends on the period of time that you're looking at, and which study you read. That's why I always say, don't take anyone's word for it. Look up as much info. yourself, as you can :angry:

From what I gather, as the incidence of Hib decreased, the incidence of invasive disease caused by strains of S. pneumoniae, increased. While meningitis caused by Hib decreased, the overall incidence did not. Hence, the addition of Prevnar. Now, we seem to be seeing an increase in staph (and other strains not included in the current vax), due to lessened strains of s pneumoniae included in Prevnar.
I wanted to include this "flu" article too for emma, not sure how much different it is from the last one?

www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/333/7574/912

The optimistic and confident tone of some predictions of viral circulation and of the impact of inactivated vaccines, which are at odds with the evidence, is striking. The reasons are probably complex and may involve "a messy blend of truth conflicts and conflicts of interest making it difficult to separate factual disputes from value disputes"22 or a manifestation of optimism bias (an unwarranted belief in the efficacy of interventions).

Now I am freaked out! My 6th grade daughter has to leave Mon. for 6th grade camp for two days. She doesn't want to go as she is a homebody and a poor eater. I wish she didn't have to go either. I think they are young to go overnight to camp but it is a school requirement in the curriculum. I even had to pay $140.00 for it.

Michele

My best friend's son ended up with MRSA from camp this summer -- very serious, with pneumonia. So, I have already told my kids no camp this summer. (I have also gotten rid of all soda, chips, cookies, etc. in the house -- I am so popular these days!)

I would not be freaked out. I think her child's experience was very unusual. I am letting them go on their school camps (only one and only one night). But two weeks at camp -- I don't think so. Maybe I'll change my mind by summer.

My doctor mentioned the mennningitis vaciine to my daughter, but he knows I am so -- well -- freaked out by all this -- he said we wouldn't think of giving it to her until she was ready to go off to college.

New flu shot adjuvant coming soon? bolding mine

http://www.newswithviews.com/Tenpenny/sherri6.htm

Several mechanisms have been proposed to explain this reaction. Metabolically, squalene stimulates an immune response excessively and nonspecifically. More than two dozen peer-reviewed scientific papers from ten different laboratories throughout the U.S., Europe, Asia, and Australia have been published documenting the development of autoimmune disease in animals subjected to squalene-based adjuvants.[10]

and

One of its components, Tween80 (polysorbate 80) is considered to be “inert” but is far from it. A recent study (December 2005) discovered that Tween80 can cause anaphylaxis, a sometimes fatal reaction characterized by a sharp drop in blood pressure, hives, and breathing difficulties. Researchers concluded that the severe reaction was not a typical allergic response characterized by the combination of IgE antibodies and the release of histamines; it was caused by a serious disruption that had occurred within the immune system.[11]

This is not normally the type of article, that I like to share, but the suggestion that this issues may be taken out of parents hands, and the sodium borate stuff, gave me chills.

Also, in light of genetics, that may suggest problems with VIRUS in people with tic syndromes, is this something that we want to risk injecting which causes an immune system response that is not natural, along with other live viral injections, such as measels, mumps, rubella and varicella?

http://www.healthtruthrevealed.com/full-pa...mp;page=article

No idea who the person is that wrote this, or the accuracy...but for anyone considering, would be worth checking into!

The symptoms of sodium borate poisoning according to the NLM citation include many of the side effects being reported after less than six months of the vaccine usage. These include convulsions, collapse, and seizures (twitching of facial muscles, arms, hands, legs, and feet).

As you were speaking of staph infection here, just to note, we got a letter home from the school about how there was a great concern of staph recently, and basically stating that there are no real concerns as we have not had any reports in our school, etc. Has anyone else gotten this? I suppose it has been a topic of concern around here, although I was not aware of it and if the truth be known, before this I did not even know what a staph infection was! Duh!

Faith