ACN Latitudes Forums

vaccinations

bmom

from previous page

I just wanted to add, that some parents have shared with me, that it is not a good idea to sound any "alarm bells" when requesting copies of medical files. Some have found that important information has been removed, prior to getting copies. This wouldn't pertain to a vax record, but it is your right, to request copies of the entire file, regarding your childs medical care. That is what I was referring to in the last post.

I tried to get my boys, from their former Pediatrician.

I told them we were switching to a family practice physician.

They said they would send it to the new Dr. and, get this, "most of them only want their immunization records anyway." I guess that is the only thing in their medical history that's really important????

I said, no, I would like the entire file. They said if I wanted to pick it up, instead of having them send it, it would be a $40.00 charge.

I asked, why?

She said that I might lose it, and then they would have to make more copies. Do you get the feeling, they really don't want us in those files

?

__________________________________________________________________________________

I'm feeling like Handley, I want to jump up and down on my couch, reading this too. Here is another email address that may be interested in some of our stories, regarding vaccines and tic syndromes

From: Generation Rescue [mailto:info@generationresc ue.org]

Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 9:11 AM

To: Generation Rescue

Subject: Jenny McCarthy Missile Sinks USS Gerberding

http://www.rescuepost.com/rescue_post/2007...-.html#comments

Through Jenny's courage, standing on the shoulders of the giants who came

before her, a national debate has emerged that is already forcing major

change.

Pediatricians are being bombarded by nervous parents not wanting to push

their children into autism. Discussion groups focused on biomedical

intervention, websites sharing biomedical intervention information, and DAN!

Doctors are experiencing unprecedented traffic.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

October 5, 2007

For immediate release and distribution

Vaccine Autoimmune Project Publication

When 1 in 150 is really 1 in 67

By Raymond W. Gallup and F. Edward Yazbak, MD, FAAP

Since February 2007, news outlets have widely publicized the fact that

recently released figures by the CDC have estimated the prevalence of

autism and autistic spectral disorders at a NEW high of 1 in 150. In this

report, VAP's co-founder Ray Gallup and Dr. Yazbak examine the most recent

United States Department of Education statistics and reveal that the 1 in

150 estimate is outdated by five years. They report that the present

prevalence of ASD may be as high as 1 in 67.

We at the Vaccine Autoimmune Project are saddened and concerned to see the

latest Department of Education figures. We are also concerned about what

is to come. It is evident that, 1) our medical authorities are more

interested in defending vaccination programs than controlling autism, the

most devastating and real epidemic we have faced in a hundred years, and

2) our wealthiest and largest autism association is giving little

attention to the role of vaccines and vaccine additives and preservatives.

http://www.vaproject.org/yazbak/1-in-150-i...67-20071005.htm

Raymond Gallup

highnoon@gti. net

F. Edward Yazbak , MD , FAAP

tlautstudy@aol. com

Vaccine Autoimmune Project (VAP)

http://www.vaprojec t.org

Barbara Labrecque

Butch Labrecque

Ray Gallup

© VAProject 2007

News Alert: Common Childhood Vaccination Promotes New Superbugs

A new superbug -- resistant to all currently available drugs -- is on the

rise, causing severe ear infections in young children.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles...-superbugs.aspx

- - - -

Doctors in Denial About Vaccine Reactions?

Will your doctors really tell you the truth about vaccinations? Are they

even capable?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles...-reactions.aspx

According to a patient survey published in “Drug Safety,” doctors

frequently ignored or dismissed patients’ complaints about side effects of

statin drugs. This study offers strong suggestion that this pattern of

dismissal extend to other drugs, including vaccinations, as well.

This pattern highlights the problem of the severe under-reporting of

adverse drug reactions, leading both doctors and patients to believe that

drugs are far safer than they really are. In reality, as many as 90 to 99

percent of all serious side effects are never reported, and therefore

never included in the equation.

Adverse side effects following vaccinations should be reported to the

federal Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS). However, like all

other adverse event reporting, it is still voluntary.

It is estimated that fewer than 10 percent of adverse events after

vaccinations are ever reported to VAERS, perhaps even as low as one to

four percent.

Most doctors will simply deny the possibility that a vaccine has harmed a

healthy patient, and when the vaccine is mandatory, their denial can run

even deeper. Most frequently, in the case of mandated vaccines, the

strategy used is to highlight the seriousness of the disease, while

denying the potential complications from the vaccine itself.

Meningococcal disease and the Menactra vaccine is one such case in point.

Meningococcal disease is a serious bacterial inflammation of the covering

of your brain and spinal cord that can lead to brain damage, loss of

limbs, and death. It is, however, a very rare disease, affecting between

1,400 to 2,800 American adults and children each year.

There are 13 meningococcal organism subgroups, and five serotypes (A, B,

C, Y, and W-135) are responsible for nearly all cases of the disease

worldwide. In the United States, serotypes B, C, and Y cause the majority

of cases.

Sanofi licensed the Menactra vaccine in 2005, and the CDC immediately

recommended it for universal use in all 11- to 18-year olds. Menactra

protects against serotypes A, C, Y, and W-135, but not B, which causes

one-third of all cases in the U.S. and more than 50 percent of the cases

in young infants.

Therefore, Menactra actually offers zero protection against meningococcal

disease 30 to 50 percent of the time, depending on your age.

Many adverse effects were found during Sanofi’s clinical trials, and two

deaths have been reported to VAERS since its release. Within its first

year, five cases of Guillain Barre Syndrome (GBS) were also reported to

VAERS, which prompted the FDA to issue a warning for parents and doctors

to monitor for signs of GBS after administrating the vaccine. By October

2006, 15 cases of GBS had been reported.

With the current push for the HPV (Gardasil) vaccine, it should also be

noted that adverse event reports in cases where Gardasil and Menactra were

administered simultaneously have skyrocketed.

When Gardasil was administered at the same time as Menactra, reports of:

Guillain Barre Syndrome increased by 1,000 percent

Respiratory problems increased by 114 percent

Cardiac problems increased by 118 percent

Neuromuscular and coordination problems increased by 234 percent

Convulsions and nervous system problems increased by 301 percent

[following are linked on url above]

Vaccine Awakening September 13, 2007

National Vaccine Information Center August 14, 2007 (Free Full Text PDF

Report: Human Papilloma Virus Vaccine Safety: Analysis of Vaccine Adverse

Events Reporting System Reports)

American Journal of Public Health 1995; 85:1706-9 (Free Full Text Report:

The Reporting Sensitivities of Two Passive Surveillance Systems for

Vaccine Adverse Events)

Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health (Free Full Text Report:

VAERS: Usefulness and Limitations)

MedWatch October, 1996 (Free Full Text Report: The Clinical Impact of

Adverse Event Reporting)

The material in this post is distributed without

profit to those who have expressed a prior interest

in receiving the included information for research

and educational purposes.For more information go to:

http://www4. law.cornell. edu/uscode/ 17/107.html

http://oregon. uoregon.edu/ ~csundt/document s.htm

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this

email for purposes that go beyond 'fair use', you

must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

I am not posting this to in regards to the dangers of parents who are using antibiotics for PANDAS. The antibiotics that have been prescribed for my son for staph have been doxycycline, bactrum and cipro. I do think it's important that parents are aware of this situation though.

Last night was not a good night.

I have mentioned staph a few times here lately. My oldest son has had 3 of these infections in the past two years. The last one was really quite horrifying. He developed patches about the size of a quarter that literally had no skin on them. It looked like someone had simply cut patches of his skin off. Just red tissue visable. It started with little red bumps, and progressed rather quickly to these patches. We ran to a walk in medical facility, where the Dr. said "staph," and prescribed bactrum.

Yesterday, it was all over the news and the internet, about the deaths attributed to MRSA and how it's frequency is on the upswing in schools/communities. This stands for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Apparently, we may have a big problem with it.

I read this article http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7101601392.html and naturally this statement jumped out at me

In the second paper, Michael E. Pichichero and Janet R. Casey of the

University of Rochester in New York documented the emergence of an

antibiotic-resistant strain of another bacterium known as Streptococcus

pneumoniae, which causes common ear infections. Although all 11 children

identified in the Rochester area with the microbe so far were successfully

treated, five required an antibiotic approved only for adults, and one

child was left with permanent hearing loss.

The researchers attributed the emergence of the strain to a combination of

the overuse of antibiotics and the introduction of a vaccine that protects

against the infection.

Now they are not talking about staph in this paragraph, they are talking about s pneumoniae. That is the microbe that Prevnar is supposed to protect against. If your child was born in 2000 or after, they probably recieved this vax. It is supposed to protect against the 7 stains that most often causes s pneum. related problems in young children. Well there are new strains emerging, as these 7 are being eradicated. They are currently working on a new vax that will include 6 additional strains. Ok, then. BUT the problem that looks even larger at this point, is the fact that with eradication of s pneum. strains, it appears that it has allowed colonization of staph to fill this void. Some strains of this staph are MRSA, which can be a very nasty disease.

There are 3 things to consider here. One, is understanding how bacteria work in relationship to one another (this could be of interest to those dealing with PANDAS as it might help explain why certain antibiotics work, then stop). #2 The effects that antibiotics can have when used improperly (not finishing the whole prescription/overly prescribed) and#3. the whole &%@^ practice of vaccination, aside from the possible problems with the ingredients themselves.

This is a link to a vax forum, where I was lucky enough to have knowledgable poster reply, if anyone cares to read. As you can tell, I was pretty bummed out. There are two studies there that show the increased incidence of staph with a decrease in s pneum.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=771865

Kim,

This really hits close to home. My husband has had two of what they called cybasious cysts removed from the same side of his face close to his neck within a year . We had them taken off at the plastic surgeon because ofthe location to his face and scaring. They were really giant and fllled wih puss and were red and swollen and painful. They gave him keeflex for the infection. It took him many months to get into the surgeon because he is very good and in demand. An old friend of mine at the time told me to have him get them tested for MRSA staph infection. The first cyst burst during surgery because of infection and could not be tested. We were told it went back into the body which probably caused the second one. He was told the second one was fine upon tissue checking. We went to visit this same freind of mine and he had a pimple on his face. She sells surgery sutures. She lives in the south and told me about the rise in these MRSA infections and how they were deadly and couldn't be treated by most antibiotics. Basically she flipped out at the site of this raised pimple and in a rude way kicked us out of her house where we were staying. She also bought him the bactrum wash. She even had her dad call me to ask about it and about bleaching her sheets! (she is 37) Well we got out of there quickly as it was evident we were not wanted. Ifit were truely MRSA wouldn't we get it? We share towels and sheets? None of us in our house have ever gotten it. My husband does get sick alot possibly could be Pylouric but hasn't been tested. He works out in a gym. Couldn't these just be cybasious cysts as the Dr. said?

The long term antibiotics and these horrible untreatable infections really has me scared. Are these prophylaxis antibiotics really safe for long term use? I know the NIMH does not recommend the use of antibiotics for the treatment of PANDAS as a long term prophylaxis at this time. Are we taking a risk by staying on them? Should I try to stop them and see what happens? He has been on them since June.

Michele

I am not posting this to in regards to the dangers of parents who are using antibiotics for PANDAS. The antibiotics that have been prescribed for my son for staph have been doxycycline, bactrum and cipro. I do think it's important that parents are aware of this situation though.

Last night was not a good night.

I have mentioned staph a few times here lately. My oldest son has had 3 of these infections in the past two years. The last one was really quite horrifying. He developed patches about the size of a quarter that literally had no skin on them. It looked like someone had simply cut patches of his skin off. Just red tissue visable. It started with little red bumps, and progressed rather quickly to these patches. We ran to a walk in medical facility, where the Dr. said "staph," and prescribed bactrum.

Yesterday, it was all over the news and the internet, about the deaths attributed to MRSA and how it's frequency is on the upswing in schools/communities. This stands for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Apparently, we may have a big problem with it.

I read this article http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7101601392.html and naturally this statement jumped out at me

In the second paper, Michael E. Pichichero and Janet R. Casey of the

University of Rochester in New York documented the emergence of an

antibiotic-resistant strain of another bacterium known as Streptococcus

pneumoniae, which causes common ear infections. Although all 11 children

identified in the Rochester area with the microbe so far were successfully

treated, five required an antibiotic approved only for adults, and one

child was left with permanent hearing loss.

The researchers attributed the emergence of the strain to a combination of

the overuse of antibiotics and the introduction of a vaccine that protects

against the infection.

Now they are not talking about staph in this paragraph, they are talking about s pneumoniae. That is the microbe that Prevnar is supposed to protect against. If your child was born in 2000 or after, they probably recieved this vax. It is supposed to protect against the 7 stains that most often causes s pneum. related problems in young children. Well there are new strains emerging, as these 7 are being eradicated. They are currently working on a new vax that will include 6 additional strains. Ok, then. BUT the problem that looks even larger at this point, is the fact that with eradication of s pneum. strains, it appears that it has allowed colonization of staph to fill this void. Some strains of this staph are MRSA, which can be a very nasty disease.

There are 3 things to consider here. One, is understanding how bacteria work in relationship to one another (this could be of interest to those dealing with PANDAS as it might help explain why certain antibiotics work, then stop). #2 The effects that antibiotics can have when used improperly (not finishing the whole prescription/overly prescribed) and#3. the whole &%@^ practice of vaccination, aside from the possible problems with the ingredients themselves.

This is a link to a vax forum, where I was lucky enough to have knowledgable poster reply, if anyone cares to read. As you can tell, I was pretty bummed out. There are two studies there that show the increased incidence of staph with a decrease in s pneum.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=771865

Michele,

Symptoms of pyroluria,

constant illness,

cysts/pimples on face--

Have your husband screened for celiac disease. These are all possible signs of celiac disease. Get him to go off gluten for about a month and see if he doesn't feel better. (When I did my symptoms disappeared). Wheat allergy also can cause cerebral/neurological problems as well as in my son's situation.

These are all things that we have been dealing with in our family. Gluten free diet will help tremendously if it is in fact the problem. Most MDs don't even consider dx, as they have been historically taught that it is quite rare. New research is showing that it may not be as rare as once thought. And there is no medicine necessary-- just get off the wheat!

Caryn

http://healthy-family.org

Michele,

Let me see if I can clarify a couple of things here. The antibiotics that I posted at the top of the message, are not commonly used for strep, except maybe bactrum? I can't remember, we were given so many over the years.

My initial concern when I read that zithromax was one of the drugs that was promoting carriage of S pneumoniae, was the fact that my boys were given amox. then zithromax sometimes when cultures would repeatedly come back positive. Now, we had OLD grandparents at the time. In their 90's. Now, we have a 17 month family member (unvaxed). Could my boys nasal passages been teaming with S pneumoniae, after multi rounds of antibiotics? Could it have contributed to my youngest son contracting pneumoniae? I have learned that we all carry some bugs that can cause illness sometimes (if we are in a weakened state) and other times, those same bugs may just live harmlessly amongst the other bacteria. It may not make us ill, but if passed on to someone in a weakened state, can be bad for them.

Again, I have to say, in a situation where you know (and I believe we have parents here who know..with or without iron clad studies) that strep is causing an attack on a part of the brain, none of this would be my primary concern. I would keep that strep (anti bodies) away from the brain! If there is a way to do that without the use of antibiotics, well, that would be great. Yasko uses many "natural" things to try to accomplish this, but I can't say how many have actually eradicated strep/pandas symptoms that way.

We are always going to have a battle with unfriendly microbs. They can become resistant to natural remedies too. I guess I was just thinking, that it is a good idea to stick with the antibiotics that are most commonly used, if they keep symptoms in check, and know that your child may harbor some hardier microbes, if they have been on multiple antibiotics. My sons were very good friends with a neighbor child who was terminally ill. I used to think it was ok, for them to visit him, as they "had been on anitbiotics." Now, I may think a little differently.

will be back with you on the staph, gotta run for now

Staph.....

Any of the nurses on our site, please feel free to jump in and add or correct any info that you think Michele (or myself) need to know!

Michele I think your friend was acting a little uninformed and childish. I have to believe that your husband was given an anti biotic post op, if for nothing more than prevention of infection. I am a little confused, why the first cyst, wasn't cultured though, unless they knew they were going to be treating him anyway, and didn't bother to culture. Would that make sense (Deedee?)

If they told you, the second one was fine, I really don't think they were lying. You may have pointed out to your friend, since she (probably) spends a lot of time in environments where staph is more prevelent due to her profession, that it was just as well that you vacated her home, as she may have just as likely infected you :)

I wanted to mention that noone else in our family caught this infection either. We were careful to keep the area's covered and I was careful with washing towels, clothes, bedding etc. and keeping my younger son off my sons bed for a while, as he would leave the sores uncovered at night They were mostly on the area above his wrist and he had one on his stomach (that I knew nothing about, cause he didn't tell me!) until it was healed. All 3 infections presented differently. One looked like a rash near his mouth, the one after surgery looked just like a big old pimple and the 3rd you know about. Ick. The third was really scary though.

If this staph is killing more people now, than HIV infections, were we not better off dealing with the s pneumoniae? If they come up with a vax for the anti biotice resistant strains of staph, what will step in to that void? Can we really vaccinate disease away, or are we better off looking for ways to keep our bodies and immune systems stronger? Less pesticides in baby foods, cleaner air and water, better nutrition, education on these subjects?

You don't necessarily need to use the most heavy duty things you can find for this either. Hot soapy water should do it. I have gotten rid of all antibacterial products around here. I do believe they are contributing to stronger/resistant bacteria. I do and did use bleach on sheets, just cause I do anyway.

I think it's really time we get back to common sense in this country. It makes me furious to see kids are dying, and this resistant strain is not only found in hospitals as was more common, but more in the community now too. I have heard nothing of hyper vaccination(my phrase) playing a part in this. Don't expect to either, and it makes me angry. They are running this all over Fox and our local news too. Their best advice is frequent hand washing. How do you tell your preschooler not to put the playdough anywhere near her face? What about benches in locker rooms, excercise equip, matts, etc. The schools that take notice and bother to wash down, will probably use strong disinfectants. Don't know it thats wise at all. The surviving microbes, may just be tougher and meaner!

They told him when the first cyst burst it went back into his body and there was nothing left to test it had burst before they got to cut it out. The funny thing is she did claim she had a staff infection when her mom had been hospitalized. She went and had it removed. She said all the pain she went through she wanted to be sure she didn't get it again. I am sure she threw away the sheets and bedding when we left. It must have been a pimple on his face because it went away and the other cysts never did on their own but had to be removed. Do you use Neosporin for cuts? What about the azithromiacin? I am sure this is why the Dr.s here in Ohio don't want to prescribe the stronger antibiotics. They are worried about these resitant strains. Thanks for the info.

Michele

Any of the nurses on our site, please feel free to jump in and add or correct any info that you think Michele (or myself) need to know!

Michele I think your friend was acting a little uninformed and childish. I have to believe that your husband was given an anti biotic post op, if for nothing more than prevention of infection. I am a little confused, why the first cyst, wasn't cultured though, unless they knew they were going to be treating him anyway, and didn't bother to culture. Would that make sense (Deedee?)

If they told you, the second one was fine, I really don't think they were lying. You may have pointed out to your friend, since she (probably) spends a lot of time in environments where staph is more prevelent due to her profession, that it was just as well that you vacated her home, as she may have just as likely infected you :)

I wanted to mention that noone else in our family caught this infection either. We were careful to keep the area's covered and I was careful with washing towels, clothes, bedding etc. and keeping my younger son off my sons bed for a while, as he would leave the sores uncovered at night They were mostly on the area above his wrist and he had one on his stomach (that I knew nothing about, cause he didn't tell me!) until it was healed. All 3 infections presented differently. One looked like a rash near his mouth, the one after surgery looked just like a big old pimple and the 3rd you know about. Ick. The third was really scary though.

If this staph is killing more people now, than HIV infections, were we not better off dealing with the s pneumoniae? If they come up with a vax for the anti biotice resistant strains of staph, what will step in to that void? Can we really vaccinate disease away, or are we better off looking for ways to keep our bodies and immune systems stronger? Less pesticides in baby foods, cleaner air and water, better nutrition, education on these subjects?

You don't necessarily need to use the most heavy duty things you can find for this either. Hot soapy water should do it. I have gotten rid of all antibacterial products around here. I do believe they are contributing to stronger/resistant bacteria. I do and did use bleach on sheets, just cause I do anyway.

I think it's really time we get back to common sense in this country. It makes me furious to see kids are dying, and this resistant strain is not only found in hospitals as was more common, but more in the community now too. I have heard nothing of hyper vaccination(my phrase) playing a part in this. Don't expect to either, and it makes me angry. They are running this all over Fox and our local news too. Their best advice is frequent hand washing. How do you tell your preschooler not to put the playdough anywhere near her face? What about benches in locker rooms, excercise equip, matts, etc. The schools that take notice and bother to wash down, will probably use strong disinfectants. Don't know it thats wise at all. The surviving microbes, may just be tougher and meaner!

Michele,

When my son got the first infection, it was right near the place where he had the stitches from having the mole removed. He popped it. I wouldn't have even realized what it was, except I have a young friend on another small group. He has repeated problems with staph infections (his mom also has chrons). I was very calm (freaked out inside) told my son to get in the shower, and took him to the Dr the next day. Funny thing, the site where he popped this thing, looked almost perfect by the next day. It was just a flat red spot, like 95% healed. I think the only thing we used prior to appt. was peroxide. The Dr. cultured this "healed," spot anyway. It came back from lab with the recommendation to treat with Cipro. This is why I don't think that the explaination of the infection going back into the body and not being able to be cultured, makes sense as far as your husband goes. Was he sent home with an antibiotic?

What I'm most worried about, is if this bacteria just hangs out in the system and resurfaces, when you get run down.

Again, since I have made the decision to not get the boys the 2nd dose of chicken pox vax, if they do get it, staph can be a problem with chicken pox.

Now it seems we have these virulent stains floating around, and it worries me. Since the culture reco. was for cipro, which is a pretty heavy duty antibiotic, I'm thinking he had a hospital acquired stain, which would probably be one of the tougher ones (yet it healed quickly, and I didn't give him the cipro, we used bactrum). We have an appt, on Monday with a nurse practioner. Couldn't see the Dr. for 2 weeks (I wanted to talk to him about the porphyrin test) but we need a referral renewal for the chiropractor. I'm going to find out what strain it was, from previous culture, then see what I can find out about it. Since the next two infections, looked so much different, were they even the same strain? They were not cultured, so I can't compare.

During my "fit" about the pneumoniae vax causing an increase in staph, and 68% of them (in the one study being MRSA stains, no less) my husband was telling me that a lady he works with, had to leave work to go with her daughter and grandaughter to the hospital. This little girl had a bad staph infection on her arm. I guess 6 kids in her day care, had some form of it.

I just told the boys, that I'm going to buy them each a small first aid kit to keep in their gym lockers. I told them, if they so much as have a scratch, I want it covered, until is at least scabs over. We used borage oil and zinc (cream) when my son got the spot by his mouth. I'm thinking I will have them use that for anything superficial.

I had left the pediatrician, after being told "not to waste their time," with talk of chiropractors and vitamins for treating tics. One Ped was sweet (in hind site) he even ordered a couple of tests for me. Funny, when I mentioned a lot of what I had learned came from Autism reseach, he looked horrified, then sent the lesser of the two (in the warmth dept) in to deal with me. So I tried a female family practioner who was pregnant. She prescribed the "steroid burst" for this stuff on sons face, even thought I told her it was NOT poison ivy. Pharmacist/friend agreed it was staph.

About azithromycin, I requested it, recently when my youngest son got strep. He was doing some eye rolls, and I didn't want to go through the amoxy first, then something else if it didn't clear. I worry about his gut, more than anything. The strep cleared up without any real problems. As long as there is no clear cut symptoms of PANDAS, I think I will stick with amox. in the future for strep. If there were evidence of PANDAS, I would want zithromax!

Would you want Azithromax for short term use with PANDAS or long term daily? Who gives that strong of an antibiotic? I wonder how those who are using it on this site were able to get it from their Dr.? I have been turned down by four Dr.'s in getting it. I think it would be easier if there was a published article stating it is recoomended over pen v. However the article by NIMH said it works as well as but their drug of choice for PANDAS is still pen v.

http://intramural.nimh.nih.gov/pdn/pub-9.pdf I would love your interpretation of it.

I may be able to shake a prescription for it out of the biomedical Dr. He said to talk to the ID Dr. first and see if I could get it. Since the ID Dr. gave me Augmentin I could still try to get the other Dr. to write a script for Azith. I know Biomedical Dr. donot like antibiotics though. However, I know he has experience with PANDAS cases. Even Dr. Murphy didn't recommended azith but Augmentin or Omniseph.

Wow you really had to do some detective work on the staph infection. See my husband didnot demand any information. He is very detached when it comes to Dr's. He never asks questions. He should have been more concerned.Your son is very lucky to have a mom like you that demands good care. I am sure the Dr.'s don't like to see you coming. I'e found from Andrew they don't like questions out of their comfort zone.

Well more later.I have to get everyone moving this morning. Have a good day! I hope your son is doing better.

Michele

Michele,

When my son got the first infection, it was right near the place where he had the stitches from having the mole removed. He popped it. I wouldn't have even realized what it was, except I have a young friend on another small group. He has repeated problems with staph infections (his mom also has chrons). I was very calm (freaked out inside) told my son to get in the shower, and took him to the Dr the next day. Funny thing, the site where he popped this thing, looked almost perfect by the next day. It was just a flat red spot, like 95% healed. I think the only thing we used prior to appt. was peroxide. The Dr. cultured this "healed," spot anyway. It came back from lab with the recommendation to treat with Cipro. This is why I don't think that the explaination of the infection going back into the body and not being able to be cultured, makes sense as far as your husband goes. Was he sent home with an antibiotic?

What I'm most worried about, is if this bacteria just hangs out in the system and resurfaces, when you get run down.

Again, since I have made the decision to not get the boys the 2nd dose of chicken pox vax, if they do get it, staph can be a problem with chicken pox.

Now it seems we have these virulent stains floating around, and it worries me. Since the culture reco. was for cipro, which is a pretty heavy duty antibiotic, I'm thinking he had a hospital acquired stain, which would probably be one of the tougher ones (yet it healed quickly, and I didn't give him the cipro, we used bactrum). We have an appt, on Monday with a nurse practioner. Couldn't see the Dr. for 2 weeks (I wanted to talk to him about the porphyrin test) but we need a referral renewal for the chiropractor. I'm going to find out what strain it was, from previous culture, then see what I can find out about it. Since the next two infections, looked so much different, were they even the same strain? They were not cultured, so I can't compare.

During my "fit" about the pneumoniae vax causing an increase in staph, and 68% of them (in the one study being MRSA stains, no less) my husband was telling me that a lady he works with, had to leave work to go with her daughter and grandaughter to the hospital. This little girl had a bad staph infection on her arm. I guess 6 kids in her day care, had some form of it.

I just told the boys, that I'm going to buy them each a small first aid kit to keep in their gym lockers. I told them, if they so much as have a scratch, I want it covered, until is at least scabs over. We used borage oil and zinc (cream) when my son got the spot by his mouth. I'm thinking I will have them use that for anything superficial.

I had left the pediatrician, after being told "not to waste their time," with talk of chiropractors and vitamins for treating tics. One Ped was sweet (in hind site) he even ordered a couple of tests for me. Funny, when I mentioned a lot of what I had learned came from Autism reseach, he looked horrified, then sent the lesser of the two (in the warmth dept) in to deal with me. So I tried a female family practioner who was pregnant. She prescribed the "steroid burst" for this stuff on sons face, even thought I told her it was NOT poison ivy. Pharmacist/friend agreed it was staph.

About azithromycin, I requested it, recently when my youngest son got strep. He was doing some eye rolls, and I didn't want to go through the amoxy first, then something else if it didn't clear. I worry about his gut, more than anything. The strep cleared up without any real problems. As long as there is no clear cut symptoms of PANDAS, I think I will stick with amox. in the future for strep. If there were evidence of PANDAS, I would want zithromax!

michele,

I had read that before, but only the abstract. I tried reading, but it kicked up so many thought and questions. I will get back to it, as soon as I can.

I am sure the Dr.'s don't like to see you coming

You have that right, but I am getting better at reading the Dr. that I'm in front of, and knowing better, how to get what I want. There is a fair bit of psychology invoved. That approach doesn't work too well, the "higher" up you go, as in a neuro, isn't as likly to be swayed as a DO,lol Then if I can sway their opinion, I have to wonder how good they really are!

Just a quick note, as I need to run.

Michele, if the cyst was cultured and came back negative for MRSA, then I would not worry. These tests are pretty definitive.

Kim, there is a staph infection and an MRSA infection. Both are staph, but MRSA is more serious. MRSA usually causes more significant infections, and because it is resistent to many drugs, harder to treat.

About 30 percent of the population will be colonized with regular staph at any given time (that means there would be staph colonized on their skin or nasal passages).

If someone has repeated MRSA infections, that person might be colonized. If you are concerned, a simple nasal swab and skin swab can show if you are colonized. The treatment is an antibiotic ointment in your nose and hibiclens for bathing. (Though some doctors don't believe in this -- but many ID doctors do.)

However, again, regular staph and MRSA are different. If it is a regular staph infection, I would be much less concerned, as it is not the same as all these news stories.