ACN Latitudes Forums

Omegabrite

emma1

Our doctor recently recommended fish oil for tics, and specifically mentioned Omegabrite. However, when I checked the website, it has a 7 to 1 EPA to DHA ratio. Somewhere on this ACN site, I read the we should be looking for a 2 to 1 ratio of EPA to DHA with NO Omega 6.

Could anyone tell me what they are using, and whether they have had positive results. I would really love brand names, if that is allowed here. Also, if you used a fish oil with poor results, please let me know that as well. I found some studies with Omegabrite and depression, but not with tics.

Thanks!

Our doctor recently recommended fish oil for tics, and specifically mentioned Omegabrite. However, when I checked the website, it has a 7 to 1 EPA to DHA ratio. Somewhere on this ACN site, I read the we should be looking for a 2 to 1 ratio of EPA to DHA with NO Omega 6.

Could anyone tell me what they are using, and whether they have had positive results. I would really love brand names, if that is allowed here. Also, if you used a fish oil with poor results, please let me know that as well. I found some studies with Omegabrite and depression, but not with tics.

Thanks!

Hi! We are using Max EPA. I am on a waiting list for the Shands Clinic in FL and I had asked what fish oil Dr. Murphy liked her PANDAS patients to be on and that is the brand they told me. My son's tics are almost gone. He is on penicillin, cal/mag, Max EPA, probiotic, and a multivit. I wanted to stop giving him an injection of his penicillin and go to oral last month. There was a 1 week window he was not on the antibiotic and his tics started to return with a vengeance! If your daughter is not taking one daily I would suggest you try that. I'm not a Doctor, but I know what has helped my child and everything I have learned has come from this site.

hi emma

My son has TS (tested negative for PANDAS at Shand's 7 years ago)

He is able to get his omega3 from flaxseed oil and from his diet, but he cannot take any form of fish oil as it triggers tics for him, even tho he can eat fish with no problem

I know this has also been reported bu some others who have TS, although othrs can take it with no problem

However, Fishoil, if tolerated, is by far the best form of omega 3

Thanks for all of the replies.

I have done more research and so am more confused.

I know that we want to look for something from a reputable company because of purity. Is there a specific ratio of EPA to DHA that is best? I had heard 2:1 but the Omegabrite is 7:1 (and I can't find any other brand that has that -- but don't know if that is good or bad). One website said DHA is what is important for tics, which would obviously mean I have the wrong brand!

Also, some have Omega 6 (evening primrose or borage) and some don't. I saw that Bonnie's has no Omega 6. Any opinions on this?

Hi emma 1,

My son's Dr. wanted him on 500mg of DHA daily, she made a point to tell me the DHA should be higher then the EPA. My son has TS, and at this point can not take fish oil. (made him tic more)

DHA is most abundant in the grey matter of the brain. And I thought EPA was more for the heart, so I can see where you are confused.

I remember reading that low DHA is linked to low serotonin levels. It would seem it should be the other way around. I do remember reading someone here posted that the are giving high EPA, and it is working well for them. I just forget who that was, and if their child has TS or PANDAS. Maybe they will post too.

C.P.

Hey Guys,

It was me who discussed the fish oil and the ratio of EPA to DHA. Dr. Murphy told us not to give my son any supplemental omega 6 at all and to use the 2:1 ratio. I have recommened before the Nordic Naturals as that is what is used in most studies. However I use the NSI brand from Vitacost.com, because it is a bit less expensive and I have researched it and found it to be, in my opinion, up to the same standards. I don't have much time now, but I am going to try to post an article that explains about the fish oil and why the ratio is so important. Good Luck.

Dedee

Literature review of essential fatty acids

I know you are so busy, but I would love any additional information that you have. Also, I am wondering which Nordic Naturals product that you used -- some of the have Omega 6 (Borage Oil). Is there only one option on the NSI brand?

Thank you so very, very much!!!!!!

Emma,

I really can not remember which of the Nordics we used. I only used them a couple of times before I realized I needed to find a less expensive brand if I was going to give them to everyone in my household. I currently use the NSI "Mega EFA Omega 3 EPA & DHA". The bottle says only one softgel per day, but in our family the adults take four a day, the kids take two or three a day and my 4 year old takes one (I spuirt it out and she takes the liquid). I can tell a big difference in my PANDAS son. Only a little difference in my middle boy, although he may need a little more since I cut him back to two a day. My friend who has a son with OCD has seen big changes with her son since starting it as well (he is on 4 daily since he is 13). I think I finally got the previous post fixed to access the website for the article. It is interesting. Let me know if you get results either way with the fish oil. It is interesting stuff.

Dedee

My son tested positive to Pyrrole. I read that those who have this elevated can not tolerate fish oils with Omega3's. Of course we had been giving them for months. Andrew's tics have been worse. Possibly from the fish oils. I am wondering if we should switch to flax oil. We are going to Dr. Murphy this week. I don't know if she is familiar with kryptopyrrole or if that is strictly a biomedical Dr's test. Hopefully we can work between the two Dr.'s on finding some help. The biomedical Dr. has not gone over test results yet. I do know he tested to having yeast overgrowth in his GI. I am trying Culturelle for the yeast. Has anyone ever tried this?

Michele

Emma,

I really can not remember which of the Nordics we used. I only used them a couple of times before I realized I needed to find a less expensive brand if I was going to give them to everyone in my household. I currently use the NSI "Mega EFA Omega 3 EPA & DHA". The bottle says only one softgel per day, but in our family the adults take four a day, the kids take two or three a day and my 4 year old takes one (I spuirt it out and she takes the liquid). I can tell a big difference in my PANDAS son. Only a little difference in my middle boy, although he may need a little more since I cut him back to two a day. My friend who has a son with OCD has seen big changes with her son since starting it as well (he is on 4 daily since he is 13). I think I finally got the previous post fixed to access the website for the article. It is interesting. Let me know if you get results either way with the fish oil. It is interesting stuff.

Dedee

Michele,

could you let us know if you see his tics decreasing after discontinuing on the fish oil? (assuming you are).

Where did you get the pyrole test done through and what are the recommended dosages of zinc and B6 (assuming there was a rec). Again, please let us know what effects you see from that.

Also, how is it going on the Actos? Any side effects?

Thanks

Faith

Michele,

I think you will be pleased with the way Dr. Murphy will work with you. She seems to know so much about all the different aspects of medicine that can affect children. I suppose that would be the research side of her work coming out. I am waiting with baited breath to hear about your appointment. Good luck and God bless.

Dedee

Omegabrites is the fish oil most commonly recommended for people on the autistic spectrum. The 7:1 ratio is more beneficial for them. I got it for my dd with Aspergers but she prefers the Coromega because she says she doesn't like swallowing the capsules. The Coromega seems to help too, especially if she takes in more than once a day. She and two of my other children have TS as well. The fish oil really seems to help.