ACN Latitudes Forums

Calming Effect of Magnesium on Tics

If anyone has read my long thread on what helped my son all those years ago, you know Magnesium was key in calming his then very severe tics. (thread is linked on my profile page)

Fast forward 23 years and a senior relative who also has TS tried the Natural Calm powder (ionic chelated magnesium citrate) more for digestive/laxative purpose- and had an immediate calming of some tics that had resurfaced!

It just reminded me again of how dramatic an effect there was on reducing my son's TS tics after adding a good magnesium supplement.

I understand not everyone responds the same way, but sure is worth a try if you are looking for something that may just help :)

Thank you for sharing this, Chemar. What a great reminder for readers to revisit the role of magnesium, which we talk a lot about on this forum.

For some it could mean going back and giving it another try. Or, it could be giving magnesium for the first time. It's great that in the case you mention, there was an immediate calming effect on tics so it was clear it was working.  If giving it a try, give it each day, as it does not stay in the system long. And, start slow in case it could cause more of a laxative effect than you want. 

Thanks Sheila - it really has been so notable that it seemed worth mentioning again.

Also, there are other chelated forms of magnesium that don't have the same laxative effect as mag citrate. The only one to avoid is mag oxide, as it is very poorly absorbed.

• 4 months later...
On 5/24/2023 at 7:53 AM, Chemar said:

If anyone has read my long thread on what helped my son all those years ago, you know Magnesium was key in calming his then very severe tics. (thread is linked on my profile page)

Fast forward 23 years and a senior relative who also has TS tried the Natural Calm powder (ionic chelated magnesium citrate) more for digestive/laxative purpose- and had an immediate calming of some tics that had resurfaced!

It just reminded me again of how dramatic an effect there was on reducing my son's TS tics after adding a good magnesium supplement.

I understand not everyone responds the same way, but sure is worth a try if you are looking for something that may just help :)

Hi chemar,

what kind of magnesium and how much would be good for my 8 year old son? He been taking beLive magnesium gummies for two weeks now, I think I’ve been accidentally giving him the adult dosage tho with is two gummies instead of one. I haven’t seen any improvements in his tics. I thought he was improving for a few days, I was wrong they came back worse than ever. 

Hi

There seems a lot of extra "stuff" added in those mag gummies you mention?

Our Integrative physician suggested 300mg daily supplemental magnesium for my son, but that may vary for others depending on unique needs

We used different magnesiums over the years, with mag oxide avoidance as it is very poorly absorbed.

As taurine is calming for tics in some people, a chelated magnesium taurate was preferred.

4 hours ago, Chemar said:

Hi

There seems a lot of extra "stuff" added in those mag gummies you mention?

Our Integrative physician suggested 300mg daily supplemental magnesium for my son, but that may vary for others depending on unique needs

We used different magnesiums over the years, with mag oxide avoidance as it is very poorly absorbed.

As taurine is calming for tics in some people, a chelated magnesium taurate was preferred.

Hi what brand would you suggest? And what is a chelates magnesium taurine and how do I get it? Lol