ACN Latitudes Forums

Epsom salt bath

JulesLou

I have been giving my son son Epsom salt baths every other night for a long time.  Just wondering if people add something to make bubbles and a bit more like a bath?
My son uses a Sanex shower gel that has no perfumes and have thought of adding this but will this rule out the salts effects? 

Just trying to make the bath a bit of a nicer experience for him!

@JulesLou

A few drops of a favorite essential oil in the Epsom water smells great and has its own health benefits. We have used lavender, jasmine, rosemary and others. Just a few drops into the last of the running water to mix it well

Soaking first for 10-20min in just plain warm epsom water (2 cups epsom salts was what we were recommended) with only added few drops essential oil if wanted, is how we found most benefit and then he would head for bed to read or something relaxing before sleep, which is sounder after the soak.

If he needed a quick shower to clean up first, he did that and then soaked. While soaking he sometimes liked music on. Always bottled water to sip too. When he was older he liked some chamomile tea :)

I do know some people shower after - but we wanted the transdermal benefit of the epsom salts overnight and so he would usually quick shower in morning before school

Thank you for your reply, my son doesn’t like the baths as obviously he is lying in just warm water (no bubbles) so was just wondering.

Also you mentioned previously l carntinte worked well for your sons vocal tics, I have looked this up and says it is for weight loss so what actually is it and how does it help? Sorry so many questions but am desperate for something that will help!

You could always try a little of your shower gel to make the bubbles if that helps? but honestly, the benefits were such that my son actually looked forward to his Epsom soak and the tic relief plus good sleep it brought. The essential oils were an added benefit and made the bath smell so nice. I forgot to mention we also used eucalyptus essential oil when that was his choice.

L-carnitine, also known as levocarnitine, is a naturally occurring amino acid. It has a major role in fat conversion/energy production, but also has many other important benefits. As we were using it short term (suggested no more than 6 mths at 500mg daily - we used it for a much shorter period)we didn't notice weight loss

It is known to have neuroprotective effects. Our Integrative physician at the time cited some studies, and on his suggestion we tried it and had immediate relief from persistent vocal tics. Others on this forum and also our PANS/PANDAS forum have also reported relief from vocal tics while using it.

We used it specifically for a persistent yelling/shrieking tic.

It helped very quickly and that specific tic went away and has never returned. This was over 20 years ago.

Other minor vocal tics have always been part of my son's TS but they too lessened, as did most of his tics, from his overall treatment regimin which I have documented in my "About Me"  on my profile page here. There is a link there to a thread I made about what treatments helped him :)

Thank you again, my son has vocal tics which are noticeable but bearable but last Sunday he went swimming for the first time in ages and Monday he has started two different very loud noises so I am convinced the chlorine in the pool has started these. I am hoping that they will settle down again soon but will now look into buying L carnitine. 
I am also thinking about eliminating dairy to see if this helps as I have read lots of stories on this.