ACN Latitudes Forums

l-carnitine

TheMainMan

Hi, Sending a request to anyone that has tried l-carnitine as a remedy for tics.  My daugher, who is 18, has had tics since she was four.  The frequency has come and gone, with me trying the recommendations on this forum over the years.  We never used any prescribed drugs due to unknown side effects.  We stopped the supplements when she entered high school as she used behavioural therapy to help control them when in school and with friends.  

The only thing she has done in high school is acupuncture (though not lately) and a tens machine for medial nerve stimulation.  These two treatments kind of helped, but she has not used them lately.  

The frequency of her tics have increased significantly, which has brought me back to the forum and for a “what has worked” with other parents/kids.  As I write this, we are on a family vacation and do not have access to our tens machine.  My daughter has scheduled an acupuncture session when we return.  

One thing when browsing the forums is the supplement l-carnitine.  I believe chemar has used this with successful results.  Wanted to know what is the relationship with this supplement to brain function?  Searched the internet and could not really find an answer to this.  This was one of the supplements that I never tried and is thinking of using.   Thanks

Hello @TheMainMan

We used L-carnitine short term when my son had a shouting/yelling tic.

Our Integrative physician recommended it. I don't know the exact biochemistry behind it - but I can confirm it immediately helped my son with that loud vocal tic.

Once that tic had calmed, my son stopped using it, again on the advice of our physician, who said it was best used "as needed short term"

I am only aware of it helping with vocal tics- so can't comment on any general use.

“Acetyl-L-carnitine plays a role in detoxification and has antioxidant properties. It also may support the nervous system in many ways beyond its role in energy production, including affecting neurotransmitter production and secretion. It provides acetyl groups for the synthesists of acetylcholine, leading to a cholinergic effect, and it may modulate synaptic transmission. Acetyl-L-carnitine may also affect dopamine and gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) levels and activity, and it reduces glutamate concentration in the synapsis, which provides an analgesic effect. Another way that acetyl-L-carnitine may support normal nervous system function is by imparting neuroprotective and neurotrophic effects, which includes influencing the action of nerve growth factor and promoting peripheral nerve regeneration and repair.”

I found this information from blog.designsforhealth.com

very interesting! Thanks for mentioning l-carnitine, I may try it.