ACN Latitudes Forums

Tics while eating

MLee

11 hours ago, MLee said:

Does anybody notice a tic increase while eating? Why would that be?

Indeed I have. It may be because the brain directs its attention to chewing and swallowing; closing the epiglottis while keeping the esophagus open, etc. etc. etc., and thus cannot focus on not ticcing.

• 2 months later...

Thank you Chemar!!

Is there a way to reduce dopamine? An increase in tics while eating is newer, did not happen when tics first started. We are going thru puberty so that increases dopamine as well. Maybe as puberty eventually settles it will lower dopamine enough to offset the dopamine increase from food? Perhaps then eating will get better? 

Puberty is  a tough time  for people with TS - but thankfully for many, tics do begin to diminish once those hormonal years pass!

Because dopamine is an essential neurotransmitter, one really does need to be careful in addressing reducing it. When my son was taking 5HTP to hep with Tourettic OCD, our physician explained that not only did it help increase serotonin - which helps control OCD - but it also reduces dopamine, and so can calm tics. But it is important to have physician guidance when using 5HTP

This article discusses some natural supplements etc that may help reduce dopamine, but again, do your own research or speak to a qualified professional for specific guidance.

https://bebrainfit.com/too-much-dopamine/

Hi MLee

I have documented how starting magnesium was the first real beneficial natural treatment for my son in reducing tics. This was a mag supplement (best for him was mag taurate) as well as regular Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) baths. I learned about the importance of magnesium for people with TS by reading Bonnie Grimaldi's protocol & research in the original Latitudes print magazine. This was over 20 years ago.

The B6(P-5-P) was added on advice from his physician to aid optimal function with the other supplements he was on.

Yes, he has maintained those.

Bonnie's research and protocol are still in online archives, but she is no longer actively involved as far as I know.

There is no longer a print Latitudes magazine - but the old copies would still be with subscribers etc. Some of the older articles may still be archived on the main webpage here at Latitudes/ACN